The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Rifles and Muzzleloaders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

rimfire rifles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator
a TRUE brother-in-arms!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dakotasin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rimfire rifles
    Posted: 17 March 2010 at 23:21

the local range is heavily involved with rimfire competition - ara mostly - and my girls have expressed a desire to compete in the rimfire competitions. the competitions are 50, 100, and 200 yards, depending which match is being run that day.

since i am not much for 22 rimfire competition i do not have much in the way of appropriate gear, up to and including a rifle. most of the guys run anschutz, suhl, and a couple run coopers. i am not willing to spend that kind of money to get my daughters rolling, here. at the same time i do not want equipment to be a reason they cannot compete.

i'm looking for recommendations on rifles that the girls can learn the game and grow into, and will be more accurate than the girls are - at least in the beginning. my oldest daughter spent much of last year learning the ropes in nra highpower and south dakota shooting sports sporting rifle divisions so competition won't be new to her - but rimfires will be.

does anybody have any ideas here? i have 2 thoughts... first, magnum research makes a 10-22 knockoff with an adjustable stock, pistol grip, and carbon barrel. due to the short trigger reach, adjustable stock, and lightweight of the gun, this one appeals to me for this purpose. but is it accurate enough for a beginning competitor, or will the girls be hampered by its lack of accuracy before the end of the year? second choice would be a ruger 77-22 in 22 lr. same questions here.

thanks fellas!

Hunting is not a matter of life or death; it is much more important than that.
Kingpin View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka Old IronSides

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 00:03
You could always serch for a Win 52 series rifle. I never saw one that wouldn't shoot and they retain their value. Used jackets and spotting scopes, depending on where you are, don't cost much. You could always pick up a USMC cloth jacket. If you find one they can be bought for around 10-15 dollars and for being only cloth, they work well. Proper sights are expensive. By the way, what rimfire match is 200 yards? I have shot metric matches that never exceded 100 meters. There may be something new that I would like to try. I have shot a .22 rf at 200 meters, but it was only a bet for beer....................Kingpin
There are times when a normal man must, spit in his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
mr mom View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr mom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 00:09

dakota : check out the cz's . i would tell you the savage mk ll , but they have gone cheap.. the ruger is big bucks for what your getting .

he is 1 other thing to think of  is the bdl.  ...  if they have classes you cant shoot a sporter class with a heavey bdl class, but you can sometimes shoot a sporter in a heavey class.

so check out the 542 cz.  they have the american , varmit hvy. bdl. and the silouette...

mr mom
CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 00:19

Dak;

Once upon a time, a long long time ago, I shot NRA 50 foot indoor.  Got all the gongs, bars, & BS, & even went to national juniors once upon a time.  And that's as a lefty shooting in the right handed world.  In other words, BTDT.

Personally, I'd build a Ruger 10/22 clone before buying the Magnum Research unit.  And t'were I to do it again, I'd probably start with the Volquartsen goodies.  Back in the late 90's, I sent a stock 10/22 to Volquartsen to have the action done & barrel fitted.  I then did the rest of it myself & have a 25 yard, 10 shot, .160" group hung on the wall of the man cave that I shot with it.  Then I gave it to my daughter.  That gun cost a fair amount of money back then, but I got to spend it at my own rate.

I've also got a Ruger 77/22 that's been around a few years.  It only took about 10K rounds for the trigger to smooth out to acceptable.  Not great, just acceptable.  Funny thing, I've got an aftermarket trigger & sear around here someplace for it, but never got around to putting 'em in the gun.  It's kinda become a safe queen since I got my left handed CZ's.

Which brings me to the CZ's.  Before they all disappear, buy a CZ452.  CZ has discontinued the model & replaced it with, if I remember correctly, the 455.  The 452 is capable of very acceptable accuracy & you'll never have to then buy a field gun either.  If the girls take to the target game, then go into the wilds of specialized target guns.  If not, they'll have a very high quality field gun that will never have to be replaced.  You might, if you're lucky, find a CZ453.  That's the 452 with a single-set trigger, which could very well help with the target game.  However, there are also trigger kits and a Timney trigger available if a 453 can't be had.

900F

Birth certificate!? He don't need no steenkink birth certificate!!
788Fan View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 788Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 00:39

If you troll the used racks, you might be able to find either the Marlin 2000 junior rifle or one of the older Anschutz 64s or Achievers.  Most of them have low end sights that will do for starters.  I've seen some pretty good scores with them.

As hokey as it sounds, if you just want to let them try it out, there are some archaic Mossbergs floating around, mine is an Model 46, or a slightly more modern Mossberg Model 144 that would do and not set you back.  I used a modified 144 when I first started shooting silhouette.  The M46 was actually featured in an old BSA Marksmanship merit badge book.

Good luck.  788

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking 1942-2018
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 02:11

The class of the shoot is important and I'd check that first, as a I'd not buy a rifle that wasn't allowed or that wasn't competitive with what your club is shooting.

Second thought, WOW kids grow up fast.  So I'd think about getting some thing that can grow with them ie a gun that can have a kid/youth stock and an adult stock.

Now as to rifle:  I'd get the ruger 10-22.  It has lots of accessories, including, heavy barrels, stocks and scopes/sight.  And the 10-22 is fun to hunt with IF they are legal in your state (they are illegal here).

soggyshooter View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soggyshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 11:11
My first .22 was a Win. 69-A target rifle. You can find them in great shape
for 300.00 and up.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 11:19
Spent a few hours today at the range sighting in a win 69A.  Still a good little rifle, it is in the final 5 for MYGAWDS!
dakotasin View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
a TRUE brother-in-arms!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dakotasin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 11:34
the class is a.r.a., which apparently stands for: if you can carry, drag, tow, haul, or hoist it to the line, it is legal for competition as long as it is chambered in 22 lr.
Hunting is not a matter of life or death; it is much more important than that.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 11:36

Sounds like a great fun shoot for your daughter, or anyone.

Try to get a clip magazine, those tubular ones are difficult and represent a possible safety problem for a kid

Rockydog View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 12:30

Dak, I've got a couple of Mossberg's that shoot very well. I shot .22 BR one summer and the norm was Ruger 10/22 with heavy aftermarket barrels, Mossberg 144s, Win. 52s, and my Savage NRA 19. Sights seem to be the big difference. You might check the CMP site as they had some .22 Target trainers over there. RD

http://www.thecmp.org/22targetsurplus.htm

and Here:

http://www.thecmp.org/22targetcommercial.htm

Edited by Rockydog
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Kingpin View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka Old IronSides

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 13:26
You may want to be careful with the semi autos. You will probably have to fashion a case deflector because the NRA kind of frowns on showering other competitors with brass from small bore rifles. Why they don't do it for service rifles is a mystery to me. I have had the shit burned out of me numerous times when a smoking .308 case ejected by a meighbor competitor slipped down my collar and sizzled in my lower back. Also, the tip on the Anschutz model 64 is a good one. I am sorry I forgot about that one.............Kingpin
There are times when a normal man must, spit in his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 23:00
Any Rem 513 T floating around?
CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2010 at 01:56

Bear;

I thunked I saw a 513 at my fav gunshop here in GF.  I'll check.

900F

Birth certificate!? He don't need no steenkink birth certificate!!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2010 at 02:19
I shot a lot of those on DCM/ROTC federal budget.
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2010 at 15:35
in my thoughts the M69A was a poor mans M52..very nice rifle...I used mine for indoor NRA .22 shoots as a kid. The CZ452 would be a good start also.  I echo someones thoughts on NONO for the semi-autos for this type of program.  Too easy for younuns to forget a round is automatically chambered at each pull of the trigger.....always think safety!
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2010 at 01:12

I puta pair of Redfield micro sights (from a 513 T) on my 69a as a teen.  Nice hunter/plinker, but really not a target gun.  Indoors it could not hold the 10 ring from bags.

Interesting how just because a gun is old, or not longer made or a winchester, most people think they were great rifles.  Just not true....nostalgic but not great guns.

The 69A was of so low a importance to Winchester they did not put serial numbers on them until 1963 when after the Kennedy assignation they were being required. 

I'm not saying the 69A was junk, just not a target grade rifle.  I might bring one to the MYGAWDS as it is a light walking 22 plinker.

788Fan View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 788Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2010 at 14:35
Dak,

Check this out - Marlin 2000.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=16200665 1
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking 1942-2018
Igbo Foo View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
.14 Flea

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Igbo Foo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2010 at 04:09

Well, I just checked on that 513, and it's now in the past tense.  The shop did have one.

FOO

Wombat Snorgging: Australia's mystery perversion, Elvis's secret shame.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2010 at 04:15
Cry
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic