The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The CoffeeCorner > Keeping the Faith
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Todays Sportsmens Devotional

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 122>
Author
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2010 at 22:13
mt rk
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen April 25, 2010
Today's Photograph: Be Still and Know That I Am God (MQ)

Bible Study Verse
Psalms 46:10
"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." (NIV)

Thoughts
I often tell my friends who wish to hunt with me in the beautiful Rockies, "If you have to kill an animal for the hunt to be successful, you probably should not come." The hunt is far more than just harvesting game.

Being alone on top of the world, watching the sun rise over the mountains is among my favorite times with the Lord. To be alive and to be in the middle of His most beautiful Creation causes me to be humbly grateful that He chose to let me live this life, that He gave me the opportunity to know Him the only true God, and to have a vibrant relationship with Him.

All too often we get wrongly focused on the things in life that can bring us glory, instead of those that bring Him glory. Revelation 4:11 reflects, "You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for You created all things, and by Your Will they were created and have their being," (NIV).

We tend to keep our eyes on the trail instead of looking at this gorgeous creation through which we are passing. We do not learn to appreciate our Divine Guide, Jesus Christ.
(Randy G)

Action Point
The next time you are in the middle of nature, take a moment to remember that it did not evolve. It was created by God, for His pleasure and He shares His joy with us.

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day

When hunting in the mountains, remember that the thermals rise early in the morning and then begin to lower in late morning. Get as high as you can in the mornings so the game won't wind you. In the afternoon, make sure you're hunting from the lowlands for the same reason.
camp
God,Mother,Country,and Hot Rods. Done with political crap.LOL
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2010 at 02:36

A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen April 26, 2010

Today's Photograph. . . . From The Rising Of The Sun To The Place Where It Sets.(MQ)
Bible Study Verse
Psalms 50:1
The Mighty One, God, the LORD, speaks and summons the earth from the rising of the sun to the place where it sets. (NIV)

Thoughts
The place where I usually feel closest to God is in the outdoors.  When a bass takes a top water lure, when ducks cup their wings and commit to your spread of decoys and most certainly when you see the sun rise and set are when I feel God.  The colors we see can only be painted by God Himself.
(Jim C)

Action
When hunting and fishing, remember that the outing is not always about the catch or the kill.  Those are usually the smallest part of any adventure.  The time put in and the time spent with family and/or friends are what make most of the memory.

Sportsmen's Tip Of The Day
Make sure to always take a camera along to help with your memory as the years go by.  Pictures are always good for not only remembrance of the adventure, but the smiles that made the picture worth taking.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2010 at 03:01
Sportsmen's Devotional

A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen April 27, 2010

Today's Photograph. . . . Mountain Sunset (MQ)
Bible Study Verse
Isaiah 59:1
Surely the arm of the LORD is not too short to save, nor his ear too dull to hear. (NIV)

Thoughts
Those words ring true in so many ways.  I remember years ago asking the Lord for patience.  He did not give it to me.  However, He put me in situations where I had no choice but to learn patience.  It worked.
(Jim C)

Action
If you are a waterfowl hunter, you have patience.  There are days when waiting is all you do.  But, when it pays off and the ducks/geese commit to your spread and dump air from their wings the mystical flight is awesome to watch and be a part of.

Sportsmen's Tip Of The Day
If geese are circling and not committing to your spread, try flagging them when they make the outside turn.  A quick raise and flap of the flag can often convince birds to check in for a closer look.  That rapid up and down motion can look like a goose on the ground stretching its wings.  Proper flagging works better than calling on tough days.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2010 at 23:58
Sportsmen's Devotional

A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen April 28, 2010

Today's Photograph. . . . Though The Rain Comes In Torrents (MQ)
Bible Study Verse
Psalm 69:2 
Deeper and deeper I sink into the mire; I can't find a foothold.  I am in deep water, and the floods overwhelm me. (NLT)

Thoughts
The crossing of the small stream was routine.  I had hunted these woods, making the same push many times. It was frozen over some years.  But, usually all I had to do was find a place the deer crossed and I could make the crossing just fine.  I had thought of using a pole to help stabilize me during the crossing, but when none was readily at hand I gave up on the idea. 

So I ventured out with nothing to stabilize me; nothing to lean on.  This time my left boot became mired down in the mucky, muddy bottom.  I fell.  My one boot filled with water, my clothing became wet, and water quickly turned to ice on the shotgun.  When I was able to get up and out on the other side, I was faced with cleaning myself and making sure my weapon was not full of ice, mud, or snow. 

My hands became so cold during this recovery effort that they hurt.  I am sure it would have made a comical video.   The experience itself was such a challenge that I ended my hunt early.
(Jackie M)

Action
The situations and circumstances of life can mire us down, catch us off guard, and derail us from the important and meaningful things we should do.  A foothold or stepping stone is important. 

This solid foundation is found in Jesus Christ alone.  On our own, the mud will entrap us. the waters overwhelm us, and even drown us.  But, if we depend on the Lord, we can find the bedrock of certainty and substance that will never disappoint or let us down.  Matthew 7:24-25 reflects, "Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock.  Though the rain comes in torrents and the floodwaters rise and the winds beat against that house, it won't collapse because it is built on bedrock," (NLT). 

Choose places to cross streams very carefully.  Use a pole or a long strong stick to give you support and stability.  Carry extra dry socks in case the water enters your boots so you can change into dry socks.  Also make sure to clear the weapon of ice, debris, mud, or snow before you fire it.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2010 at 07:00
ant l 1
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen April 29, 2010
Today's Photograph . . . Wyoming Antelope (MQ)

Bible Study Verse
Genesis 9:2-3
The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea; they are given into your hands. Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything. (NIV)

Thoughts
I don't know about you, but I'm sure glad that these verses are there for us to read. They confirm that we aren't doomed to be vegetarians!

Of course, God didn't have to put quite so much fear in the hearts of the deer and elk I pursue. Did He really mean for Javelina to smell like that? But, they are still good in red chili and for a good time harvesting them! Thank you, Lord, for your wonderful creation!
(Cliff S)

Action Point
We didn't get here by accident. God has placed in all of us the desire to provide the basic necessities of life for our families and loved ones. He made the plants and animals for just that purpose. It's up to us to be sure that we use them wisely and as good and appreciative stewards.

Take special care of your animals after you've killed them. Get them cleaned and skinned. Keep the musk and other odiferous contaminants off of the meat. Keep them clean, cool, and dry. They'll be the best eating you've ever had. Even the Javelina!
camping
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2010 at 06:40

jeep
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen April 30, 2010
Today's Photograph: Never Lay Items On The Hood Of Your Vehicle (MQ)

Bible Study Verse
Psalm 73:26
My flesh and my heart fail; but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

Thoughts
One morning as I drove down the highway at 60 miles an hour, I suddenly noticed a flash of something flying from the hood of my truck. Instantly, I knew what it was. Earlier in the morning I had intended to put my expensive pair of binoculars in my truck. But, I got sidetracked and quickly set them on the hood thinking that I would remember them later. Not so!

Unfortunately, my flesh did not allow me to handle the situation very well. To say the least, I was shaken and lost control of my tongue when they flew from my hood to the asphalt. It still upsets me as I write these thoughts, several months later. But, I am realizing that self-control would have been more appropriate in that situation. At least I know, as the above verse reflects, "God is the strength of my heart and portion forever." Hopefully, I will react differently next time.
(Jimmy S)

Action Point
Study this verse. Ask God to strengthen your self-control in times like the one I experienced. You will react more appropriately as a Christian. Life's too short to get that worked up over such things.

An old scratched-up CD that would usually be thrown away works well as a signal mirror. The middle hole can even be used as a sight hole to view what you are signaling.
camping
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 03:03
$Account.OrganizationName
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen May 1, 2010
Today's Photograph . . . In Whose Domain? (Ron McAlphin)

Bible Study Verse
Galatians 2:20
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. (NIV)

Thoughts
The never-ending question that has been around since Satan tempted Eve is: Who is in charge? When you see a nice 28" Brown Trout swimming freely in a clear back eddy along a pristine mountain stream, he is in charge of his domain.

You skillfully cast just the right fly into the back eddy; he socks it with a ferocious appetite--then you are in charge. You catch the fish, bring it in on the bank, and put it on a stringer to be cooked later for your pleasure. You're still in charge.

In whose domain are you, right now? Who or what is in charge of your life? You may not know. But, if you are a Christian, you have been crucified with Christ. He is in charge; life is not about you or your ego anymore.
(Tom H)

Action Point
Live as if Jesus were really in charge of your life, because He is! It is when we contradict this truth that our lives get muddled and twisted. Read the above verse again. It doesn't say anything about us calling all the shots.

When fishing along a larger stream or small river, look for those nice little back eddies and cast along the edge of the main flow in the calmer part where the water is moving slower. You just might be rewarded with a nice tug on your line.
camping
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 22:24
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen May 3, 2010
Today's Photograph . . . Copperhead (NWS)

Bible Study Verse
I Peter 5:8
Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. (NKJV)

Thoughts
While driving, the strange posture of a cow caught my eye. I soon realized she had just given birth. Pulled off the road to watch, she appeared to walk away from her newborn leaving it vulnerable.

My thought was, "That calf' is coyote bait." That statement immediately brought to mind Peter's warning that today's society is full of dangers for all of us. How often do we leave our kids or even ourselves at risk because of our carelessness?
(Chris Q)

Action Point
We need to constantly be on our guard. Rest assured, our adversary is diligently watching for any opportunity. He unsuccessfully tempted Jesus three times after His baptism. Yet, he wasn't finished. In Luke 4:13 we read, "And when the devil had ended every temptation, he departed from him until an opportune time, " (ESV). The bottom line is - don't be coyote bait!

Always use a flashlight when walking into your hunting area after dark. Entering a ground blind that was very familiar to me, yet unfamiliar to my hunting partner. Had he not shown his light into the blind, I would have stepped on or worse sat on the Copperhead occupying my space.
fawn
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2010 at 22:22
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen May 4, 2010
Today's Photograph . . . Old Spring (MQ)

Bible Study Verse
Proverbs 5:15-16
Do you know the saying, "Drink from your own rain barrel, draw water from your own spring-fed well"? It's true. Otherwise, you may one day come home and find your barrel empty and your well polluted. (TMSG)

Thoughts
While my Dad and I were exploring the mountains near my house recently, we came across an old abandoned homestead.

In the mountains high above the homestead tucked behind an old walnut tree, we discovered a spring. The resident of the old homestead had obviously taken a great deal of time and energy to create a series of cisterns that captured the cool running water from the spring. The crystal clear water traveled down the mountain, through the cisterns, and I can only imagine, fed his home, orchards, and livestock for many years. Although the homestead had fallen into quite advanced stages of disrepair, the spring-fed watering system appeared to have been built yesterday.
(Brett M)

Action Point
Recently, I saw a segment on the morning news that identified a new, self-proclaimed, trend aptly named the "work spouse." The premise being that, due to the long hours spent everyday at work and less time at home, many people are beginning to become very close to their working partners, team members, etc., who are often of the opposite sex. These relationships, although not sexually intimate, are becoming emotionally intimate. The sharing of thoughts, ideas, and dreams once reserved for one's spouse are now shared with the "work spouse."

I chuckled when I heard this and thought about how this "new trend" was around two thousand years ago. King Solomon warned us, "Your spring water is for you and you only, not to be passed around among strangers," Proverbs 5:17 (TMSG).

Devote yourself to your spouse and your marriage to God. Let God provide your marriage with the fulfillment He meant for it to have. Just like the old homesteader, it takes time and energy to cultivate the springs. But, when completed the harvest will last longer than the institution.

Water in the wilderness can be dangerous. Remember: standing water is bad for drinking purposes. Running water is better and spring water is best. Ideally, any water should be treated with water purification tablets prior to consuming.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 14:01
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen May 5, 2010
Today's Photograph . . . Can Be A Pointy Matter (MQ)

Bible Study Verse
Genesis 1:11-12
Then God said, "Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb that yields seed, and the fruit tree that yields fruit according to its kind, whose seed is in itself, on the earth"; and it was so. And the earth brought forth grass, the herb that yields seed according to its kind, and the tree that yields fruit, whose seed is in itself according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. (NKJV)

Thoughts
While we take to the outdoors, take time to examine the great variety of plant life. There is no way a thinking person can conclude that it was put there without divine purpose. Genesis 1:31 states, "Then God saw everything that He had made, and indeed it was very good. So the evening and the morning were the sixth day," (NKJV)

Plant life serves as food for great varieties of created animals, many of which are available for man's enjoyment as tasty game. Without edible plants for game species, there would be no game. Without honeybees to pollinate flowering fruit trees, there would be no fruit on display at grocery stores and fruit stands. The existence of many is vitally dependent on the interaction of these processes and on many others in order to provide a stable, inexpensive food supply. For these reasons, it is important to give Him thanks for how these things were created and for the food we enjoy daily, provided by Him, Whom set these processes in motion.
(Mike S)

Action Point
God is not willing that any should perish due to a lack of physical or spiritual food. For this reason, giving Him prayerful thanks for what He has provided, not just for the dinner table, but for the Marriage Supper of the Lamb (Revelation 19:9), is a daily, worthwhile practice. And, thank Him for giving His Son, Jesus, the Messiah, to provide the banquet that will be remembered throughout eternity.

Hiking in the desert can be a "pointy" matter. If cactus spines don't stop you, a rattlesnake might. Wearing thick leather shoes in suspect areas can prevent spines and fangs from doing permanent injury as you walk into the wilderness.
camping
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 22:30
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen May 6, 2010
Today's Photograph . . . Most Beautiful Sunrise (MQ)

Bible Study Verse
Proverbs 20:13
Do not love sleep, lest you come to poverty; open your eyes, and you will be satisfied with bread. (NKJV)

National Day of Prayer - To God Be All Glory, All Honor, and All Power!

Thoughts
An outdoorsman can relate to the instruction of scripture--that if we sleep in, we will miss what I call "The Golden Hour." when daylight first breaks. This is the time when the fishing is usually best, game is most active, and sunrises are most beautiful.

If we lie in bed, we miss it all. Such can be said if we don't open our eyes to God's Word and the opportunities that He puts before us.
(Jimmy S)

Action Point
Start your day early, getting into His Word. Then, spend the day seeking the opportunities He presents to you, to share with those who don't know Him, or with someone that may need encouragement.

Today is the 59th National Day of Prayer observance. As sports men and women we are strongest and most effective on our knees before our King. Purpose today to set the example of leading those who look up to you in prayer.

Remember, "When a man's ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him," (Amplied).
camping
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 01:39
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen May 7, 2010
Today's Photograph . . . Hung Up On All Kinds Of Junk (MQ)

Bible Study Verse
John 8:32
"Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." (NIV)

Thoughts
The south Alabama spring morning exploded with the gobbles of thirteen turkeys. With this many birds hitting it this hard, I could already smell a bird in the oven.

I eased down into a bottom where an old boss bird was shaking the woods with his gobbles. This wasn't going to be hunting; it was going to be self-defense. After getting set up, I sent out a smooth set of yelps. He just about strangled gobbling back at me.

Within five minutes, I could see glimpses of him working through the bottom about eighty yards out. Back and forth he would strut and gobble, but he would not come any closer. The morning passed on. Finally, after an 1 1/2 hours, he walked away.

I was sick. Why, wouldn't he come? I walked to the area where he had been and found my answer. There was an old barbed wire fence stretched across the bottom, and he wouldn't cross it. He was a hung-up bird.

Life has a way of being full of "hung-up birds." We get hung up on all kinds of junk that keeps us from the awesome life that the Lord has for us. Today, you may be "hung up" by not being the person you are called to be. Let the Lord cut the old barbed wire out of your life and set you free.
(Joey H)

Action Point
The Bible teaches us that, "We shall know the truth and it will set us free." If you are hung up today with a problem that just won't go away or by the hope of an opportunity that just won't come, then apply the truth principle to it.

Discover God's truth as it relates to what you are dealing with. Then, apply that truth and move forward into God's blessing of freedom.

There are times in turkey hunting when you have to relocate. Had I known about the old fence, I would have simply backed off and somehow eased around the fence and set up. There is a danger of relocating too quickly or too often. But, some days it is a must-do trick in order to harvest Old Tom.
logo
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 01:51
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen May 9, 2010
Today's Photograph.... Beauty and Her Beast (Clay W)

Bible Study Verse
Proverbs 31:29
"Many women have done wonderful things, but you've outclassed them all!" (MSG)

Happy Mother's Day!!!

Thoughts
Amy Wills spotted this 7x7 pictured above at approximately 800 yards. She used a 300 Winchester Magnum then helped her husband pack it out of the mountains near Young, Arizona.

I remember my son telling me on one of his first elk hunts, "Dad, I hope I can find a woman someday that will come with me to a place like this." We were sitting on top of a mountain in Wyoming eating a sack lunch with our horses hobbled behind us while glassing for elk.

It's one of every man's dreams, to find a beauty that will share the adventure. One who will journey with him.
(Wes W)

Action Point
Proverbs 31:10-11 goes on to say, "A good woman is hard to find, and worth far more than diamonds. Her husband trusts her without reserve, and never has reason to regret it," (MSG).

I know I am where I am today because of the prayers of my Mother. Thank you Mom, you excelled them all. I thrive where I am today because my beautiful wife loves the Lord, prays for me, and wants what the Lord wants for me. She is now the role model for our children and grandchildren.

Aspire to be Proverbs 31 women, we need you. Girls, our children, our churches, and we men need you desperately.

Ephesians 5:2 says, "Observe how Christ loved us. His love was not cautious but extravagant. He didn't love in order to get something from us but to give everything of himself to us. Love like that," (MSG). Today is Mother's Day! Think, how can you be extravagant? Buy her a camera and tell her you need a photographer on your next adventure. Speak her love language. Camo underwear is outdated. Believe me they're communicating, if we're listening.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 06:13
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen May 8, 2010
Today's Photograph . . They Shouldn't Sell Jeeps To People Who Do Not Know How To Drive Them (MQ)

Bible Study Verse
Mark10:45
"For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life-a ransom for many." (HCSB)

Thoughts
On one occasion years ago, when I had taken my son deer hunting, we were on the tail end of a weekend junior's hunt. After we had eaten lunch, rested, and prepared for the final evening of the hunt, a woman drove into our camp and told us that a man with a new Jeep had gotten stuck on the top of a nearby mountain. It was late afternoon; she was going for help and asking if we could drive our ATVs to the top of the mountain to help the man.

Many thoughts rushed through my mind:

• This was the final evening of my son's first buck hunt.
  • They shouldn't sell Jeeps to people who do not know how to drive them.
  • If he is stuck now, he will still be there in the morning; I can go help him then.
Upon emerging from this brief state of selfishness and after my wife patted the tears from my eyes, my son and I drove to the top of the mountain and helped the man back on his, not so straight-and very-narrow-road home. It was an ATV trail he was stuck on.
(Brett M)

Action Point
Serving others sometimes can be a sacrifice. We all have times in our lives when we are asked by God to serve someone else. Unfortunately, those times rarely seem to fit into our plans. If they fit into our schedule, they would not be a sacrifice.

God did not need my help to get that man's jeep from the top of the mountain. God was perfectly capable of doing it Himself. What God wanted was to teach me to be willing to sacrifice my priorities to serve someone else. In addition, he wanted my son to see his father's willingness (after a minor tantrum and many tears) to be Christ-like.

God wants us to serve others as Jesus did--with a joyful heart and mind. If God was willing to sacrifice his own Son for us, how can we not be willing to serve others?

When traveling in the back country, plan ahead. You may get stuck. Always remember to take a shovel, high lift jack, GPS or topo maps. and a cellular phone.
logo
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 06:14
hunt upland
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen May 10, 2010
Today's Photograph: Kids Hunting Pheasant (MQ)

Bible Study Verse
Matthew 25:21
"His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!' " (NIV)

Thoughts
Most of the devotionals I write are from events that I have observed or experienced myself from everyday life. But, it's how we choose to look at things that make them different.

The other day I had the privilege of helping organize a youth pheasant hunt. This hunt was intended to reward as well as encourage young people to get involved with hunting. It is a wonderful event, watching the dogs work and the kids having a great time.

As I was checking on one of the fields, I observed a group of young hunters coming back out of the field. I saw a young girl go running up to her Dad, just overflowing with excitement as she handed him the pheasant and yelling, "I did it Daddy! I did it!"

Her dad took the bird, gave big hugs, high fives, and told her how proud of her he was.
(Dave W)

Action Point
I started thinking afterwards about how we all like to hear those words of pride in what we've done. It doesn't matter if it is from our spouse, parents, or our own kids. It makes us feel good that someone is proud of us.

Can you imagine how good it will make us feel to hear our heavenly Father say that He is proud of what we have done with those words, "Well done, good and faithful servant?" Is that our life's goal?

Does your state require you to wear hunter orange so that you can be seen by other hunters? What if you are in one of these pop-up blinds that will hide you & the orange from other hunters? You may want to tie something orange to the outside of the blind so other hunters will see it.
camping
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 03:42
deerhide
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen May 11, 2010
Today's Photograph . . . Buck (NWS)

Bible Study Verse
Philippians 3:13
Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead. (NIV)

Thoughts
As I begin a new year I sit down to take inventory on the victories, bumps, bruises, heartaches, and accomplishments of the past year and gaze into the next. What a great verse to chew on: take up Paul's challenge to put the past where it belongs and move forward.

I think about the three really nice whitetail bucks that got past me this year, and about all the work I didn't put in to harvest them. I am already looking forward to another chance to go back out there and try again when next season rolls around.

So much more important than that, I am taking a spiritual inventory and entering a new year of goals, dreams, and priorities for my life over the next 12 months.

Where do you hope to be next year in your maturity and development in your walk with God? What is it that you need to put behind you?
(Glen D)

Action Point
Take some moments. Write some goals with respect to your faith, family, finances, and fitness. I call this the "4F brand" in my ministry. If this is new for you, write down one goal in each area that you want to see happen this year. Forget what is behind and strain toward what is ahead. Make this the best year of your life!

Before you hang that bow up or clean the gun off, go out and take some practice rounds. It will be good to see where your arrow or bullet is hitting. I have seen too many folks grab the bow or gun and head out without knowing if they will even come close to hitting where they want to.
camping
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 03:05
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen May 12, 2010
Today's Photograph: Arizona Sunrise (MQ)

Bible Study Verse
Joshua 24:14-15
"Now fear the LORD and serve him with all faithfulness. Throw away the gods your forefathers worshiped beyond the River and in Egypt, and serve the LORD. But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your forefathers served beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD." (NIV)

Thoughts
Choices. . . We all have them to make, every day. When we're hunting, we have to make them moment-by-moment. Which path to take, which trail to follow, which mountain to climb, where to camp, still hunt or spot and stalk, and which animal to kill? Choices are a part of the hunt.
(Cliff S)

Action Point
Choices are also part of our spiritual life. Will we follow God, the one true God who has revealed Himself to us in the Bible and in His Son, Jesus or will we allow ourselves to be lured off the trail and follow false gods?

Teachings that make us to be our own god or teachings that worship the creation rather than the Creator are examples of false gods.

As you make your choice, research the teachings of Jesus Christ. When you learn more and more about Him, it will be easy to choose the right path!

Make your choice. There's no in-between on this one. Choose the Lord and serve Him!

Study the topographic maps and wind patterns prior to hunting an area. These will help you in selecting the best areas to hunt, how to hunt them, and where you will be most likely to find animals.
camping
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2010 at 03:42
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen May 13, 2010
Today's Photograph . . . Cactus In Bloom (MQ)

Bible Study Verse
Matthew 4:10
Then Jesus told him, "Go away, Satan! For it is written: Worship the Lord your God, and serve only Him." (HCSB)

Thoughts
Have you ever been tempted while hunting or fishing? I have. It goes like this - I'm out dove hunting and I shoot my limit. I lose one in some thick cover. It may have gotten into a rabbit hole or something. But, I can't find it. I begin to wonder, "Well, I really don't have my limit. Should I shoot one more?"

Whether or not you can shoot one more dove depends on your state hunting laws. Do you know your state laws?

Matthew 4 describes Jesus' time in the wilderness when He was tempted by Satan. Notice the four words, "For it is written."
(Ernie W)

Action Point
Jesus demonstrated one of the ways to fight temptation -- quote scripture. In order for this to be feasible and effective, He had to have more than a casual knowledge of the Word.

We have the same opportunity to use scripture as Jesus did. The key is to really know the Word and make it part of our life. Our response to temptation should be automatic. Jesus didn't hesitate when He was tempted nor did He have to look it up in His Bible. He knew the Word. It was His life.

Is the Word your life? Make it a goal to spend more time in reading and discussing the Scriptures than you spend on your outdoor activities.

Hopefully, as part of your sportsman's life, you will have a chance to spend time in other states or countries. Make sure you know the laws wherever you go.
logo
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2010 at 03:45
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen May 14, 2010
Today's Photograph: Beautiful Buck (MQ)

Bible Study Verse
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy man does not roast [a] his game, but the diligent man prizes his possessions. (NIV)

Thoughts
God truly has provided us sportsmen and women with a bounty of game animals. They are and should be treated as a precious gift, a privilege to hunt.

Early on, I was taught, "You eat what you harvest." As a father, I made sure that I passed those same words on to my son. I can still remember my grandmother helping my Dad and me clean and package our deer meat. My grandmother was a farm girl. Her family ate what they raised and grew. She painstakingly cleaned the carcass with a vinegar-water mixture to remove all foreign matter, hair, and dried blood. The game we package after cleaning with this method always smells good and tastes great when prepared.
(Byron S)

Action Point
We are expected to be good stewards of God's awesome creation, not lazy and slothful hunters. From the very beginning, in the Garden of Eden, man was given dominion over the animals.

In order to continue our hunting privileges, our stewardship of God's creation is very important. Our diligence in this is not an option. It is a command.

Try cleaning the game you harvest with a solution of one cup of vinegar to one half gallon of water. It loosens up dried crusty blood, hard-to-remove hair, and foreign matter.
logo
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2010 at 01:22
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen May 15, 2010
Today's Photograph: Mr. Grizzly

Bible Study Verse
Psalm 46:1-3
God is our refuge and our strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give away and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with its surging. (NIV)

Thoughts
The summer pack season ended with my heart full of thanksgiving. We prayed that God would watch over us and He answered our prayers. When we consider the dangers involved in mountain travel, horses, Grizzly bears, and camping, it would be easy to focus too much on the negative possibilities of what might happen rather than the positive potential of what God can do.
(Tom L)

Action Point
Focus on God's promises in His Word instead of worrying about the negative possibilities. Spend time in prayer and He promises peace that is beyond understanding. (Phil 4:6-7) With God's help, you'll enjoy your trip even more.

Even if some of your hunting groups are not Christians, bring them together and pray for their safety. They will appreciate it.
logo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 122>
  Share Topic