The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The CoffeeCorner > Keeping the Faith
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Todays Sportsmens Devotional

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 116117118119120 122>
Author
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2017 at 09:01
Bible Study Verse
Isaiah 40:29
He gives strength  to the weary and increases the power of the weak. (NIV)

Thoughts
A few years back, actually a bunch of years back when I was sooooo much younger, I shot a deer on top of a rather tall and rough desert mountain, rough being the operative word here. As soon as I'd made the shot, I realized that the rest of the day was going to be an ordeal. Once the deer was dressed and skinned, he was lashed onto a pack frame, along with everything that I had carried up the mountain. Needless to say, by the time I reached camp, I was weary, thirsty, and very weak.

In our spiritual walk, we are going to experience times of weariness. I've been going through such a time recently - work that never seems to get caught up, equipment (computer) problems, health issues with family, a myriad of problems that seem to never get solved. Sometimes, it is truly overwhelming. That's when God steps in. His strength, power, and wisdom are available if I'm willing to accept them. So often we are determined to do things through our own power and strength; and that's just not going to get them done. We are admonished to let God see us through our adversities; and sometimes that's tough, because He doesn't do things in our time or in our way. But remember, Gods thoughts are higher than our thoughts; and God's ways are higher than our ways. Trust Him to do what He says, to give you His strength, His power, and His wisdom. 
(Cliff S)

Action Point
Do you really trust God? Do you really believe that God can and will do what He says? Plain and simple - God cannot lie. If he could, He couldn't be the Almighty God. Put your faith in Him today, whatever you're going through. Read His Word. Wisdom and answers are there if we will simply listen and submit to His ways.

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
Always carry a little more than you think you will need in your day pack, especially water. When you get in a tough spot, pace yourself and your resources. Plan what you are going to do and how you're going to do it. Your brains, not your brawn, are what will get you out of that tight spot.
God,Mother,Country,and Hot Rods. Done with political crap.LOL
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2017 at 08:44
Bible Study Verses
Hebrews 12:3-4
Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted.  In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. (ESV)

Thoughts
It was early in the morning and the all-day men's softball tournament had just begun. A white softball the same color as the clouds hovering overhead flew through the air and disappeared into a grey and dense fog. It rolled to the fence and the batter was easily able to score an inside the park home run.

Our team was down many runs in the first inning, before we learned that our outfielders couldn't see the ball when it was hit. The tournament officials couldn't afford to postpone any of the games, so we had to play no matter what.  It was the end of the first inning before the infield learned to yell to our outfielders which direction the ball was travelling.

We lost our first game of the tourney, which meant we had to play the rest of our games in the "loser's" bracket. Our team fought all the way through the "loser's" bracket and found ourselves sitting in the championship game, facing the best team who was undefeated. In the final inning we scored a run to win the game and force a second championship game, since now both teams had one loss.

The second game, a hard fought battle came down to the final out to determine the winner. An inside the park home run would secure the victory for our team.  We spent the rest of the following week recovering from the soreness and pain of playing so many games. But in the end, it was all worth it to come home with the trophy!!!
(Michael T)

Action Point
Our softball team played in the fog and lost, but we were still able to pull it together and win the entire tournament. It wasn't easy and it definitely took a while to accomplish our goal. 

Just know that whatever trial or tribulation that you are currently facing maybe daunting to you, but it is not to God. Lean on Him and trust Him. It will take some time and may involve some pain. But, eventually you will have victory over your problems. Just keep working hard and moving forward in faith.

If your church has a softball team it can be a great tool for outreach ministry, if done the right way.  Great sportsmanship reflecting Christ is vital to this ministry. Unfortunately over the years I have witnessed a lot of  church softball teams damage the reputation of Christ over a game that in the end really doesn't mean a whole lot.  Meet with leadership and self-examine the purpose and mission of your church sports team and it potential ministry impact.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2017 at 09:07

Bible Study Verse
I Thessalonians 5:1-2
Now, brothers and sisters, about times and dates we do not need to write to you, for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. (NIV)

Thoughts
I was busted!!! Just busted!!! I had been sitting quietly in my tree waiting for the buck that I knew would be there. I was watching the trails in front of me and to both sides when I heard a faint noise from behind me. I eased my head slowly around and there he was!!!

He was looking right at me! With a snort and a white flag, he let me know quickly that he had come and I had not been prepared.
(Brian H)

Action Point
The Bible tells us in I Thessalonians 5:1-2 that the Lord will show up some day and none of us know when that will be.

We are to look forward to that day and watch for Him day after day. We must be sure that we have a relationship with the Savior and urge those around us to make sure that their hearts are prepared.

The Lord absolutely is coming back!!! You'd better believe it!!!

Many will be busted on that day. They will find that they were not prepared and will be left behind. Make sure that you're not one of them and then urge those around you to make preparations.

It's bad enough to be busted by a king- sized buck with a snort and a white flag. Imagine the dismay of being busted by the King of Kings with a shout and a trumpet sound. Be prepared!

Take your binoculars to the woods with you when hunting whitetails in timber. Look carefully for anything horizontal in the vertical woods. When you see something horizontal, zoom in on it with your binoculars. That's a quick way to make sure that you're not busted while on the stand!
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2017 at 10:05
Study Verse
Mark 10:27
Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God." (NIV)

Thoughts
Several years ago, I took a trip to Colorado. We had gone there to capture some bighorn sheep that we planned to bring home for release in new sheep habitat. I remember going through downtown Denver and being amazed at the height of the buildings. Having grown up in a small rural area, the city was pretty impressive to me. 

As we headed west out of town and into the Rocky Mountains, I recall looking back toward Denver. All of those giant buildings appeared tiny from my new vantage point in the mountains 
(Ron T)

Action Point
The day-to-day problems we face can seem so huge and impossible to overcome when we try to solve them on our own. Isn't it great that we don't have to do that alone? Just as the buildings in Denver looked so small from the mighty Rockies, our troubles, from God's view, can be a lot smaller than we perceive them to be. If we stay in God's Word and ask him for wisdom and help, ALL things are possible.

Off-season planning for a big hunt is very important. Preparing your body for the hunt is just as important. Be sure to get on the treadmill, go for regular hikes, or head to the gym months before opening day.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2017 at 09:31
Bible Study Verses
Matthew 7:3-5
"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?  How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?  You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye. (NIV)

Thoughts
In hunter education classes we always had some fun trying to figure out which eye was our dominant eye. This comes into play big time when aiming a shotgun, rifle or bow. 

I saw this first hand once at the shooting range during our live fire when a student hadn't hit a paper target once out of fifty tries at 25 yd. His grandfather came to me and asked for my help. The boy was in tears because of his poor shooting. You see, his father, a member of the U.S. Navy, had made a special trip from San Diego to Phoenix for the field day to watch and support his son; and his son felt like he had failed his father. 

It took about five seconds to see the problem. The boy was shooting right-handed, but was left eye dominant; therefore, he was trying to aim with his left eye! It took a little work to get him to close his left eye and aim with his right eye, but the result was fifty bullets in a four-inch circle!

Now I have a confession. Just like this young shooter, I sometimes have a problem with looking out of the correct eye, and then it may still have a "plank" in it that keeps me from seeing things as I should see them. Most of the time that "plank" is pride. You see (no pun here), I have an insecurity that goes back to my childhood, a plank, so to speak. That insecurity surfaces anytime I experience rejection and believe my thoughts and ideas are considered invalid. 

This insecurity resulted from seemingly never being able to do anything that was considered good enough by those who were important to me. In my adult life, the insecurity can even strike while doing such worthwhile things as writing these devotionals. Yes, pride can strike even here. I want my way and am desperate for validation, desperate enough that I may even offend others around me while striving for that validation. 
(Cliff S)

Action Point
When a "plank" blocks my vision, I find that I have to go to God and seek His forgiveness, direction, and, yes, His validation. It usually takes some time for me to think through the situation and seek God's guidance as to what He wants me to do and how He wants me to handle the situation. 

If I'm yielded to Him, He'll remove the "plank" and make known to me what He wants me to do and how to correct the problem. Sometimes He tells me that I'm right and to stand my ground. Other times He reveals my sin and tells me that I need to seek not only His forgiveness, but also the forgiveness of those that I have offended. 

Either way, it reminds me that my motives for what I am doing, even writing devotionals, have to be ones that further the Kingdom of God, not myself (Matthew 6:33). I promise you that as I write, I will pray that God will give me the correct words and attitude to serve Him, and to provide a blessing to you, our readers. And, I ask you to pray for me and our entire Sportsmen's Devotional Team, too.

If you're having trouble with marksmanship, be sure that you're shooting with the correct eye. You may have to retrain yourself to keep the opposite eye closed and/or learn to shoot from the other side of your body. Tape over the lens of your glasses, or an eye patch from the local drug store can help.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2017 at 08:21
Today's Photograph: Simple Sunset.

Bible Study Verse
Mark 10:25
It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God. (NKJV)

Thoughts
Sometimes I wonder if God gave me a simple life with a humble income just to save my soul. When I read this verse, I think to myself, "I would probably be as far from God's kingdom as possible if I were rich with money." But instead, He has made me rich with a great appreciation for His creation and the critters that abide here. I work outside everyday, usually doing good things for wildlife. Better yet, I have a wonderful wife and daughter who love to enjoy God's creation with me. I am thankful that He has blessed me with such.
(Jimmy S)

Action Point
Ask God to reveal your riches to you today. Search your heart for your spiritual gifts and ask God to help you put them to use for His glory.

Remember, always give someone an itinerary explaining where you will be and when you plan on returning no matter how short the outing may be.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2017 at 09:07
Today's Photograph.... A Taste of Misery Mountain (MQ)

Bible Study Verse
I Thessalonians 5: 16-18
Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. (NIV)

Thoughts
Many of us would love to spend every day hiking, fishing, or hunting. We would love to always have enough money to pay our bills, and still have enough for the latest rifle, scope, fishing lures, gas, truck, ammo, out-of-state licenses, cabin, or camping trailer. But, this is not reality for most of us. Our days are not perfect. They are filled with financial burdens, not enough vacation time, family stresses, illnesses, and struggles. We live in a not so perfect world trying to live for Christ.

One deer hunt when I was about 14, my brother-in-law had killed a deer in the afternoon on the backside of a mountain that my family had deservingly nicknamed "Misery Mountain." This mountain had shale slides, cactus, and was so steep that one could stay standing and still lean against the mountain to rest. Everyone went to retrieve that deer with a burro, except my mother and me. We had the job of feeding the fire just in case those on the mountain did not make it back by night fall.

Just as the sun was going down, we saw our hunting party make it over the ridge of Misery to retrieve the deer. We knew we were in for a wait. We had gathered our wood or what you can in the desert. The night was quiet as the darkness settled around us. We waited as long as we could to light the fire to preserve our wood supply. The night grew colder and the darkness grew thicker. Mom had hunted with dad since she was 17. She was a good sport and a great hunter herself.

She decided we would light the fire, but we also needed to hike with a small flashlight across a dry gully to another hill in order to gather more wood. At 100 yards from that life reassuring fire, we suddenly heard something crashing through the brush. Minutes later came the high pitched, spine-tingling scream of a mountain lion. Mom, with a quiet resolve stated it was time to walk back to that fire. Hours later we would sporadically see our hunting party's flashlight way up high on Misery. They were trying to save their light and would use it sparingly.

I Thessalonians 5:5-6 states, "You are all sons of the light and sons of the day. We do not belong to the night or to the darkness. So then, let us not be like others, who are asleep, but let us be alert and self-controlled." (NIV)
(Rebecca L)

Action Point
Mom and I were very alert waiting alone in that AZ wilderness. We felt much better when we made it back unscathed to our fire. It was even more reassuring when we could finally sporadically see a small flashlight beam of our hunting party maneuvering down that mountain. We didn't feel so alone.

That hunting experience is so like life. We can become so bogged down with making a living that we don't take time to see the "Light". God has sent us His Word as a light to light our path. He has a plan for our lives. It is up to us to be joyful, to pray for His guidance and protection, to be alert, and self-controlled. He will be with us in the scary unknown times. He offers His love and protection. All we need to do is believe and trust Him for His care.

Become familiar with your local fauna. You never know when your simple hunting experience will last long into the night. You can eat the leaves and roots of the dandelion in a salad or as cooked greens. You can also dry the whole plant and use it to make tea. You can also eat the shoots of Cattails. Before the flower forms, you can peel the shoots and eat them. Acorns have very low sugar content and are great in breads and stews. The Native Americans would grind acorns to make them into flour. Make sure you do not mistake a similar looking plant for the one you choose to eat. A field guide for edible plants is recommended.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2017 at 05:32
Luke 23:42-43 Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom." Jesus answered him, "Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise." (NIV)
I think of how many times I've walked into camp late in the morning, not paying attention to my hunting, only to have an animal I hadn't seen jump up and startle me--one that if I'd been hunting I might have seen and been able to kill. The problem was, I had given up, I'd quit hunting; I had reached the poi...nt where I thought the hunt was all over and that I had no chance of finding and killing an animal.
The thief on the cross had to have had similar thoughts. I can picture him saying to himself, "Today's my day to die. It's all over. In a few hours I'll be dead and I have no hope." But, what the thief didn't know was that one of the other criminals being crucified that day was the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, the Son of Almighty God. What specifically it was that Jesus did to open the thief's eyes to this we don't know for sure, yet, we do know this: God opened both his eyes and his heart, just as He does for all sinners who find the truth and accept Him. Because of God's love, this man repented and asked Jesus for forgiveness and salvation. And we also know this: Jesus forgave him and promised him that he would be with Him in paradise, that day! Jesus gave the man the one thing he desired, hope!
Wherever you are in your walk on this Earth, a young pup or long in the tooth, it's never too late to turn to Jesus. He is there with arms open wide just as He was for the dying thief. Turn to Him today, ask Him to forgive your sins and to come into your heart. Don't worry about the words you use, Jesus will hear you and Jesus is faithful; He will do as He has promised. It's never too late! 
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2017 at 10:06
Bible Study Verses
Matthew 6:1-4
"Take heed that you do not do your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them. Otherwise you have no reward from your Father in heaven. Therefore, when you do a charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward.  But when you do a charitable deed, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,  that your charitable deed may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will Himself reward you openly."  (NKJV)  

Thoughts
The tree near Cordes Junction, AZ,is a mystery steeped in tradition. For the last 24+ years, Christmas decorations appear at the end of November and disappear in January. To celebrate July 4th, patriotic decorations appear and eventually disappear. Only God and maybe a few highway patrols may have witnessed the decorating elves, but no one knows their identities. Phoenix newspapers have featured the tree and no identities!!!

The 20 ft tree, near Cordes Junction, AZ, nestled in the median of Interstate 17 North of Phoenix.

The locals love it's welcomed sight and the quiet reminder of what's important at Christmas and at America's Independence Day.

The tree has been endowed with its own watering system which may have been why it has miraculously survived several wildfires in its past. Many believe God has protected this tree. It has been nicknamed "the mystery tree."
(Jo Q)

Action Point
Don't you just love the creativity that God blessed some individuals with. The decorators of the mystery tree must have a lot of spirit and loads of creativity! They sure do well at keeping secrets too!!! Don't know them, but respect them!!!

The above scripture gives us direction on quietly blessing others without tooting our own horns. Deal is if we avoid man's praise, God will honor and bless us openly in His timing and in His ways!

Knowing we blessed someone, knowing we were Jesus to another, knowing we denied ourselves, knowing no one else knows, and knowing God approves should be enough. 

Portable solar outdoor lights ranging from $5 to $10 can be a ready substitute flashlight in a pinch or around your camp. You just have to  remember to put them back so they stay charged and you can find it when you pack up your camp.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2018 at 09:04

Bible Study Verse
Matthew 6:33
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. (NIV)

Thoughts
A few years ago my life was a very scheduled event. I was working and going to school fulltime while trying to balance family time. Many days were hectic and the only time I got to spend with my sons was taking an evening stroll.

We lived in a city of 600,000 at the edge of the mountains and would take our dog Nala out for a walk. We observed just about every animal in the Rocky Mountains inside the city limits during those walks. It was then that we prayed, discussed their day, the future, the past, and, of course, the animals we saw.
(Marshall M)

Action Point
Jesus understood what it was like to be busy with the demands of responsibility. He took time to pray and seek counsel from his Heavenly Father. This relationship Jesus had with His Dad was his highest priority.

God wants us to seek His kingdom first. Make it our highest priority, and the rest of life's responsibilities will be handled by Him.

When you encounter wildlife in an urban environment always assume that the animals are wild. Use the same precautions as you would in the woods. Most often animals that come into the city are looking for food. Be alert to possible food sources in and around your home including securing your trash.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2018 at 07:47
Bible Study Verse
Joel 2:13 
So rend your heart, and not your garments;
Return to the Lord your God,
For He is gracious and merciful,
Slow to anger, and of great kindness;
And He relents from doing harm. (NKJV)

Thoughts
Like many who spend a lot of time outdoors, I make deliberate choices in the type of clothing I wear. The terrain I enjoy is also a factor in how I choose certain outdoor equipment. But it seems that no matter how hard I try to prevent damage, I always get rips or tears or punctures. 

Thorns are the worst, like those long spikes on honey locusts. I've even had my four-wheeler tires impaled by these things! Thorns can rip apart a nice flannel shirt when you're walking through a thicket. 

Denim jeans are durable enough, except when crossing a barbed wire fence. There's nothing like ripping out the seat of your pants on a cold day in the field. So I try to wear thorn-proof coveralls, clear my tent site of sharp objects, and protect my sleeping mat from lumpy or sharp projections (often in the middle of night when I wish I had thought of it earlier). 

My clothes get ripped and torn; then I mourn, sometimes a great deal depending on the value of the item. In the Old Testament, it was just the reverse. To express grief or repentance, people would purposely tear their clothing as an outward sign of this inward conviction. For some, however, the practice became an insincere act, a traditional response that displayed no evidence of a changed heart. Through Joel, God extends an invitation to make a real change, a change of the heart, not the clothes. 
(Don H)

Action Point
Beginning a new year is a traditional time to make a change in one's life. New Year's resolutions are made; and after while, many are routinely ignored. A new year and a new day can begin for anyone who makes a sincere effort to change his heart. Bad habits can be turned over to Jesus; sin can be laid at the Cross. Don't wait until New Year's Day to do it. Rend your heart now and enjoy a refreshing of the Holy Spirit like you've never before experienced; for our Heavenly Father is gracious and merciful, loving and kind.

When crossing a fence, be careful not to damage the owner's property, even if it seems as if it's not in use. If the fence is low and crossable, use your coat as a guard with the outer cover placed against the wire. (Sturdy outerwear generally has tougher outer cloth.) Many times, it's safer to crawl under a fence or use a gate, even if you have to walk a distance. Find a safe way to cross; and always unload your firearm when crossing.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2018 at 10:04
Jesus   Is   Our   Peace

Bible Study Verses
Psalm 84:10-12
For a day in Your courts is better than a thousand.
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God
Than dwell in the tents of wickedness.
For the Lord God is a sun and shield;
The Lord will give grace and glory;
No good thing will He withhold
From those who walk uprightly.
Lord of hosts,
Blessed is the man who trusts in You! (NKJV)

Thoughts 
Have you noticed bullies never come alone. They pull their power from those who are supporting their thoughts and actions within their gang gatherings. Some within the bully groups do have good intentions and some have the need to fertilize their importance by believing that they are helping someone out. But, there is a fine line between mentoring and enabling. 

A true test of one's influence is . . . . is this person getting better or bitter? Are you directing your friend through scripture and Godly counsel or is there even a more productive selfish benefit in monetary gain or as this person destroys their life with your support that they will have more time to spend with you? Godly direction only comes through the Bible and prayer.

I, myself, have been so broken and, yet, blessed by godly counsel from unselfish friends that came along side and supported me though prayer and godly direction never once benefiting through monetary gain nor freeing my scheduled life to spend more time with them. I am so grateful for these unselfish prayer partners. I have learned from these by example how to bless another. I was directed to the above scripture at one of my lowest betrayals.

One thing I learned through counsel that I will never lose sight of . . . . there is one victum personality trait that limits any resolution.  Blaming another for one's contributions and one's responsibility in the situation. This mindset prevents one from taking any responsibility, from asking God for direction and forgiveness, and closes the desire to communicating with the other party and calmly discussing the issues to resolution. The one blaming others has the usual blind spot,  he or she is the common denominator. They will actually tell others they can't have any peace unless this person has been removed from their life. Sad but true and many blessings are missed by wrong thinking that leads to wrong living through wrong decisions. 

Action Point
When does Peace arrive? When you have included others in your mindset gang and removed that person from your life? This becomes often evident within holiday gatherings and within many marriages. To the strong willed personality, they enjoy thinking they have won. God bless them cause they do need help. We all need help!

The Bible reminds us, "For He Himself is our Peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation," (NKJV). This scripture alone says that Jesus Christ is our Peace! No Jesus - No Peace. Scary to think how many Christians lack Peace in their hearts! The choice is always ours . . . . 

To the precious one who has been excluded in the above scripture it says that our loving God will not withhold no good thing. Bullies are not good things and God will provide grace and glory just for you! Look . . . . for what He is replacing with grace and glory. Your responsibility is to "walk uprightly" and believe  "blessed is the man or woman who trusts in You!"

Christianity is the only army that shoots its own soldiers. Sad, but so well defined among Christians that even non-Christians can finish this sentence when spoken.  This is why there is no recognition for the author in this devotional's creation. The author chooses not to be a target.

We encourage each to choose not to join the shooting army that targets a brother or a sister in Christ. Quietly listening can be interpreted as agreement and acceptance. Remember for evil to prevail it only takes a good man or a good woman to do nothing. 
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2018 at 10:27

Bible Study Verse
Acts 3:19-21
Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord, and that he may send the Christ, who has been appointed for you-even Jesus. He must remain in heaven until the time comes for God to restore everything, as he promised long ago through his holy prophets. (NIV)

Thoughts
My son and I snuck off during Javelina season to try to find him a pig. In reality, to just get away from the daily grind for an afternoon. Our trip took us about an hour north of Phoenix into the higher desert country. The only problem was that a storm was coming in and it was raining intermittently. We soon found ourselves under a juniper tree watching it rain and trying to stay dry. The rain made things kind of miserable for hunting. But, the countryside was absolutely beautiful.

It's amazing what rain does to the desert. Everything is cleansed, refreshed, and takes on a new look. A look of life, just as the blood of Jesus cleanses us and allows His Holy Spirit to refresh us and to restore our love for Him and our life in Him.
(Cliff S)

Action Point
When you find yourself out of fellowship with God, repent of whatever is standing between Himand you. Allow Him to wash your sins away. Pray as David did in Psalm 51:2, "Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin" (NIV).

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2018 at 10:45

Bible Study Verse
Revelation 20:12, 15
I saw the dead, both great and small, standing before God's throne. And the books were opened, including the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to what they had done, as recorded in the books. And anyone whose name was not found recorded in the Book of Life was thrown into the lake of fire. (NLT)

Thoughts
One for the record book! That is a common goal among hunters and anglers. It is an accomplishment that reflects investments of planning, time, resources, skill, and dedication to the goal of taking that trophy. For a few it is just luck, the combination of being in the right place at the right time. For most that is not true. We congratulate those who consistently take the "big ones" that give them a place in the record books. The picture today is of my friend, Mike, and his trophy bear, one for the record books. His thoughts and comments inspired this message. (Jackie M)

Action Point
God keeps a record book. Some call it the Book of the Living. The verses above reflect this truth. This book records the existence and the actions of every person who has ever lived. Nothing escapes His notice. His record is without error! God will judge everyone by what is recorded. The Book of Life, also called the Lamb's Book of Life, is the most important book of all. When we trust Jesus as our personal Savior and Lord, God enters our name. That entry guarantees that our sins have been forgiven and we have been given everlasting life. He says that anyone who believes in Him will never perish, see John 3:16 and John 5:24. I am glad He has added my name. Is yours there? Is your name in the Book of Life? If not, choose to receive God's forgiveness of sin provided through Jesus our Savior. Believe in him and escape the punishment of sin. Receive him as Lord and live forever! That is the most important record book of all!

Keeping a record of your hunts and fishing trips in a journal is helpful for future planning and success. Keeping a spiritual journal is a way of documenting God's work in your life. It will help you keep on track with Him and for Him.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 08:44
Bible Study Verses
Romans 12:4-8
For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function,  so in Christ we, though many, form one body,  and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts,  according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying,  then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach;  if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully. (NIV)

Thoughts
I'm one of those guys that likes to "roll my own."   Ammunition, that is.  Yes, I like to reload my rifle ammunition and ammunition for my friends and family.  

There's something therapeutic about taking a bunch of empty rifle brass and turning them into a thing of beauty - ready to shoot cartridges.  It takes a commitment of time and resources, but it's worth it.  

The cost of the reloaded ammunition is usually about half or less than the cost of new, and I get to load it the way I want it.  This is really important because what I load is what I think will perform best in my rifle and for my hunts.  

A few years back my son and I used .375 Remington Ultra Magnums on our elk hunt.  Those babies are expensive!  Every factory load that we fired cost us about five dollars.  The rounds we reloaded for practice were a fraction of that amount.  The reloads we used on our hunt were less than half the cost of new.  And, they were a better load with better performance in our rifles for the hunt we were going on.  

And, after "emptying" the cartridges, we can reload them and empty them over and over again! 
(Cliff S)

Action Point
God gives believers many blessings, some intellectual, some material, and some spiritual.  We're commanded in these verses to share what God gives us.  A favorite song by Hillsong has these lyrics, "I know I'm filled to be emptied again, the seed I've received I will sow."  That's what we're supposed to do!

We're to be like those cartridges that we filled so we can empty them again. Another illustration is filling your ice chest with bottles of water to be shared with your buddies on your hunt.  Similarly, God fills us with our gifts and we're to share them with the body, our fellow believers, and those that need to come to faith in Jesus.  

So, if you've been blessed with wealth, share it with the body by helping those in need.  If you're an encourager, speak words to others that will inspire them to persevere.  If it's teaching, teach truthfully and well.  If you're a believer reading this, share your faith in Christ with those that need Him.  I think you get the message.  

Let's not be like ammunition or a bottle of water that sits on the shelf that never gets used for its true purpose.  Let's get out there and give ourselves away and make a difference in our world for Jesus!

If you choose to reload your ammunition, you must be disciplined in each and every step.  Every cartridge must be checked over and over again and each step in the process must be taken so you don't make a mistake that could cause damage to your firearm, and possibly you!
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2018 at 09:24
Bible Study Verse
Matthew 11:28
Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. (NKJV)

Thoughts
As we all know, life is not always just a relaxing hike in the woods! Even as Christians, we have what we consider to be burdens. The difference is that, as Christians, we know God is watching over us and, if needed, will carry us. 

When hunting, most will agree that there are times we have burdens that need to be carried. It could be anything from hunting gear to recently killed game. To help carry their load, some hunters have turned to the sure-footed mule. 
(Doug L)

Action Point
As the mule will give the hunter rest from his burden, Christ reminds us in the above scripture that He, too, will give us rest.  

Instead of worrying, or letting life's burdens drag you down, turn to the One who can ease your burdens.

When heading out on your camping or hunting expedition, think of ways to lighten your load. Use a portable game hauler (cart), an ice chest with wheels, a sling for your long gun, a sure-footed mule, or a few strong buddies. You'll enjoy your trip even more with the energy you save.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2018 at 09:15
Bible Study Verse
Psalms 91: 5
Fear nothing-not wild wolves in the night, not flying arrows in the day. (Message)

Thoughts
In the movie, 300, the enemy, the Persian Empire, tries to provoke fear into the outnumbered 300 by saying, "Our archers are so many, our arrows will block out the sun." 

I love the response of one of the 300, with laughter he responds, "Then today we fight in the shade!" 

What a manly, fear nothing attitude. I want to always have a quick fear nothing response that honors my God, a response that makes HIM bigger and provokes courage into those around me.
(Wes W)

Action Point 
I can more readily relate to wolves and arrows as an outdoorsman. But God is promising so much more in this story. Not just harm from the outside, but also the inside, pestilence, disease, plague and disaster. Psalms 91:7 reminds us, "Even though others succumb all around, drop like flies right and left, no harm will even graze you," (Message). 
Verse 10 declares, "Evil can't get close to you, harm can't get through the door," (Message).                                                         
I'm choosing to believe God's promises and speak them out over my wife and grandchildren, even my tent. Verse 10 "Harm can't get through the door," (Message). It's just a choice. I'm making to speak faith building words of strength and encouragement.

"Evil can't get close to you."   But, I make sure before the wind comes up that a tree isn't leaning in my direction, or heavy rain turned into a stream will divert around it. I make mental note where the horses are tied, escape routes and line of fire in case visitors come sneaking in the night. I know my surroundings before dark and any surprises.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2018 at 08:08

Bible Study Verse
II Peter 3:18
But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever! Amen. (NIV)

Thoughts
Spring and summer are wonderful times of the year. Everything is green and growing. As the seasons progress, flowers bloom, gardens grow and begin to produce, and the crops in the fields make progress toward the coming harvest. The wild creatures also enjoy a time of abundance. As the hens conclude the dangerous time of brooding their nests, they emerge with their poults. The little ones begin to grow! They chase bugs, and water from the dew on the plants or any other ready source. They grow! Some are lost. Predators take some young for their quarry. But, those that survive grow. This is God's way. Growth is natural, and designed by God into everything that is born, hatched, or sprouts. Growth is expected. That which is given birth moves on to maturity. (Jackie M)

Action Point
The Bible uses the term "the new birth" to refer to those who receive by faith the Lord Jesus as their own savior. They are born anew into a personal relationship with their Creator God. But sadly, many never move past their birth. They don't grow up. They just stay babies for life. This means that they do not realize all the promise and potential of the eternal love relationship with God. Nor can they join in his work in the world as they could if mature.

The Bible is described as food, and Jesus is described as the water of life. As we drink in the Word of God, fellowship with Christ in prayer, and learn more of him, we grow. The local church is designed by God to help us in this growth. The leaders and the people of the church are gifted and called to help new ones in the Lord move on to maturity. Be involved in a local church that lifts up Jesus and declares the Word of God so that you may grow. Also commit to daily devotions for input. The Sportsmen's Devotional is a tool that is designed to help in this process of growth.

Don't handle wild young if you come across them. Your scent left on them may mean the mother will abandon them. They will never grow to maturity.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2018 at 07:38

Bible Study Verse
Psalm 51:10-12
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit in within me. Cast me not away from your presence, and take not your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit. (ESV)

Thoughts
On a recent men's river adventure, one of the men in our group went to jump into his tube and immediately flipped over and disappeared into the water. One of the bigger men in the group blurted out as soon as he emerged out of the water, "What are you an idiot?" He proceeded to sit on his tube and you can guess what happened next. Ker-splash!! Attempting to prove to all of the laughing men that he could master the tube, he attempted the same move two more times with the same results. He was a great sport about it, but his tubing skills were less than desirable.

What was his problem? Was it his positioning and balance or his inexperience? Maybe it was his unorthodox entry style? But, we won't go there.
(Michael T)

Action Point
We are men and women who have a fleshly nature which leads us to fall into sin. Sometimes it is a humiliating and embarrassing type of sin. It can be painful to endure the aftermath of the consequences. It can be a heavy burden, debating with God the need to confess your sin.

Why do we fall into sin? Is it improper balancing and positioning or inexperience? Regardless of what caused you to get there in the first place, know this. Christ has the ability to wash you clean and to help you through the cleansing process. Once you emerge, the humiliation and the embarrassment will be gone. Christ will uphold you as He sits at the right hand of God.

This tip is for men only. Men, when you find yourself in a group setting with a bunch of macho adventurers, make sure that you are confident in your abilities before your "Comical Bravado" kicks in.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2018 at 08:26
Today's Photograph: Deep Sea Catch (Will D)

Bible Study Verse
II Timothy 4:7-8
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day-and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing. (NIV)

Thoughts
Wahoo are known to be the fastest fish in our oceans. Friend and specialist, Capt. Scott A., suggests that they are capable of reaching speeds of 60 mph. It is a thrill when one strikes--peeling several hundred yards from your reel in seconds. However, Wahoo, like a sprinter, are only able to make one or two short bursts after that initial strike, generally giving in to anglers.

Tarpon, on the other hand, are marathoners. They take many powerful runs making acrobatic jumps, testing both tackle and angler. They will battle fisherman right up until the time they are released. They never give up.

When I gave my life to Christ, I was excited and on fire for God. However, I went through a time when I became secure and comfortable in my salvation. Through subsequent trials and tribulations, the Holy Spirit revealed to me that the race was not over; in fact, it had only just begun. (Will D)

Action Point
Paul witnesses to us of the importance of keeping the faith and finishing the race. Don't let your the security of your salvation cause you to become complacent. Meet with the Lord daily through prayer--long for Him; think of your relationship with God as a long-distance marathon rather than a short sprint. Finish the race. He has a prize awaiting you.

Some say the name "Wahoo" derives from the name of the Hawaiian island, Oahu. Others suggest it is the exclamation fisherman say when one strikes--"Wahoo!". Another name for them is Ono--probably better suited to it as it is the Hawaiian word for delicious. They are exceptional on the table.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 116117118119120 122>
  Share Topic