The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The CoffeeCorner > Keeping the Faith
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Todays Sportsmens Devotional

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 115116117118119 122>
Author
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2017 at 08:41
Bible Study Verse
Matthew 17:27
"But so that we may not cause offense,  go to the lake and throw out your line. Take the first fish you catch; open its mouth and you will find a four-drachma coin. Take it and give it to them for my tax and yours." (NIV)

Thoughts
Can you imagine Jesus speaking to you, asking you to go fish, and assuring you that He would put a fish on your line to pay your taxes? 

He did this for Peter! He does this for me! I'm one of the fortunate ones whom He has "called" to fish for a living; so I am one who must trust Him with each cast I make. This is only possible because of: 
  • Knowing that He is the Provider of all my needs. 
  • Learning to trust Him with the unseen underwater world. 
  • Believing that He will make the bass' mouth open to provide for my family (and for taxes). 
(Art F)

Action Point
Have you learned to trust in Jesus? 
"Rejoice in the Lord, ALWAYS. I will say it again: REJOICE! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about ANYTHING, but in EVERYTHING, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:4-7

TAKE ALL THINGS TO GOD! Trust Him today,even in the outdoors!

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
The companies designing GPS and Sonar units have really stepped it up in recent years. These units have changed the whole way I fish because I can truly know where and what I'm fishing, especially when I'm off-shore structure fishing. Learn how to use your sonar units, fine tune them, and understand them. They will help you dissect the structure as you fish, and this will help you increase your catch.

God,Mother,Country,and Hot Rods. Done with political crap.LOL
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2017 at 08:58
Bible Study Verse
I Thessalonians 5:17 
Pray continually. (NIV)

Thoughts
Many years ago, I started a simple activity. Let me encourage you to practice it also, from this point on. Okay, here it is: Whenever I hear a siren, I pray for two things - a simple, quick prayer that goes something like this:
  • "Lord, give the authorities wisdom and safety to deal with the situation to which they are responding."
  • "Lord, help the person needing assistance come to know You today and rely and trust in You."

As you know, only when people are faced with life-threatening circumstances are they usually faced with their own mortality, and are open to God. Would you join me in this endeavor? If you live in the big city, you may be busy; but you never know what a difference praying might make.

Action Point
Sirens. Let this Sportsmen's Devotional live on as you listen for these, starting today. Consider sharing this prayer with others.

Always carry a first aid kit in your vehicle. You never know.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2017 at 07:39
Bible Study Verse
John 1:29
The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, "Behold! The Lamb of God Who takes away the sin of the world! (NKJV)

Thoughts
Given the fact that John the Baptist had been studying for about 3 years in the wilderness, poring over Old Testament Messianic prophecies, you'd think that his first introduction of Jesus would be from those. But, no, the first words out of his mouth about his cousin, are the names of two animal sacrifices from the Temple. 

The Lamb of God that he mentions is the pesah, Passover lamb, the only lamb of Israel called Lamb of God. 

His reference to the one who takes away the sin of the world is a description of the azazel, or scapegoat of Yom Kippur, that carried away the guilt of the people. 

These are two prominent and well-known animals of the whole Old Testament sacrificial system.
(Fred B)

Action Point
The new-born brown goat in my picture became my namesake. When we walked up on the 4 little Philipinos in the foothills of NW Philippines during my recent missions trip, I saw that twin kids, one brown and one black, had just been born to their nanny. 

They reminded me of Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement, in Israel. Two goats were brought to the Priest. Lots were cast on the two to see which one would die, and which would live. The one that lived was called the scapegoat. 

Jesus came to be both. He died for my sins as my lamb of God, and carried away my guilt, as my scapegoat. 

I need to thank Him each day for both: 
  • For dying because of my sins, to pay my penalty. 
  • For taking the blame for all my sins, though He never sinned. 
(Fred B)

When looking or glassing for game, look carefully for two, where you think you only see one. In the picture above, the black kid is hard to see, unless you look closely. He's under the nanny's chin. Don't miss having a choice of which animal to take, and of learning some valuable lessons by watching them interact.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2017 at 08:24
Bible Study Verses
Matthew 7:13 - 14
"Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy[a] that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and  the way is hard that leads to life, and  those who find it are few." (ESV)

Thoughts
I am fortunate to have permission to hunt on a piece of property that borders the Shenandoah River. There is a dirt road that leads up from the river bottom to the top of a large hill. The road forms a large circle around the perimeter of the hill top. The deer love to use the road to move around. 

One day while scouting I took a short cut through the woods and brush that was in the middle between the roads. Right in the middle I stumbled across a very well-worn narrow trail that ran up the middle. Any deer walking up this trail would be extremely difficult to see. As I walked the trail I found several signs left by the wise buck who used it to avoid danger.
(Terry L)

Action Point
The road above makes for easy walking and we know it and so does the deer and many a deer has lost its life by taking the easy road. As we walk through this life we make a lot of choices and one of them is what path we will take. 

We can take the easy wide road or we can take the less traveled narrow road. 

On the easy road we turn our back on the truth or we comprise to the point where it is no longer relevant. Sure it could make our walk easier, but what about our witness and effectiveness for the kingdom? 

The narrow path is hard, but it leads to a life that is a shining example of God's love and it gives us a life worth living. On the narrow road we stand on biblical truths and trust in our Lord.

Sportsman's Tip of the Day
When ever out scouting and you find a trail that is being heavily used by does check for parallel trails. Checking on the downwind side is a good starting place. Mature bucks will stay out of site on these safer trails and they like to be downwind so they can keep a check for a doe that might be in season.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2017 at 07:33
Bible Study Verses
Mark 4: 26-28 
He also said, "This is what the kingdom of God is like.  A man scatters seed on the ground. Night and day, whether he sleeps or gets up, the seed sprouts and grows, though he does not know how.  All by itself the soil produces grain-first the stalk, then the head, then the full kernel in the head. (NIV)

Thoughts
I have never been much of a farmer, but nevertheless, I really relate to this scripture. When I stock fingerling fish, such as trout or bass, in a small stock dam or mountain pond, and return to that water some time later, I am always amazed when I cast in a spinner and pull out a 12-to-14in fish. I know it's supposed to work that way, but I'm amazed every time just the same. 
(Ron T)

Action Point
Whether you're scattering seeds or scattering fish, when the conditions are right, they are going to grow. It is the same for God's Word. I think of the seeds of truth planted in my own life before I became a Christian. They didn't seem that important at first; but over time I began to think about the words, understand their meaning and how they applied to my life. I am so thankful to the laborers that God calls on to sow His Seed. 

Now that I am a Christian, it is my job to share the Good News with others. Jesus said, "He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.  Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned," Mark 16:15-16  (NIV).

It's important to keep your fly line clean so it will pass through the eyes of the rod easily. You can buy fly line cleaner at most sporting good stores, or you can use Armor-all. I use it on my line.  It's inexpensive, does a good job, and I usually keep a bottle in the garage.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2017 at 07:59
Bible Study Verses
Psalm 119:36-37 
Turn my heart toward your statutes and not toward selfish gain. Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to your word. (NIV)

Thoughts
The sun wasn't even peeking over the horizon. The ducks were flying against an orange sky in what seemed to me a mad fashion this way and that. The caller sang a synchronization of quacks, cackles, and whistles gaining the birds' attention. The ducks were answering back with their own version of the song. 

Suddenly a pair of ducks looked down at the water and saw the decoy spread. The vision was like a sky diver opening his parachute as the ducks simultaneously cupped their wings and committed to the final approach. They glided into the decoys like they were meeting old buddies, but were faced with a dire situation that left them as part of a hunter's bag limit.
(Dennis W)

Action Point
Too many times our lives are flying around in a mad fashion with really no purpose. This is when Satan thro
s out his decoys and calls to us. He knows that when we are not focused on abiding in Christ that our human nature can be distracted. We look at Satan's decoy and say, "Oooh, shiny!", pop our chute, and glide into destruction.

I John 2:16-17 reflects, "For all that is in the world- the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life-is not of the Father but is of the world. And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever, " (NKJV).

Being new to the sport of duck hunting, I have learned there is a right way. a wrong way, and then your host's way. Always follow your host's rules in the blind when it comes to shooting lanes, when to call and calling the shot on birds. Your host will more than likely invite you back if you follow his rules. 

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2017 at 11:28
Bible Study Verses
I Timothy 4:7-9
But have nothing to do with irreverent and silly myths.  Rather, train yourself in godliness,  for the training of the body has a limited benefit, but godliness is beneficial in every way, since it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come. This saying is trustworthy and deserves full acceptance.
(HCSB)

Thoughts
As with anything in life, the more you do, the better you become. I have been running saltwater charters along the Texas coast for ten years. I am a much better angler than I was last year; and, heads-and-shoulders better than when I began. I have matured, and with maturity comes confidence; and, with confidence comes more fish. 
\
If you want to become more proficient in the outdoors, it takes time. Learn from mistakes; and, on that day when everything falls into place, ask yourself why you were successful. 
(Bink G)

Action Point
We rarely have as much time to spend outdoors as we would like. Those who spend more time are usually more proficient than the weekender. Likewise, those who spend more time with God are more proficient in knowing and using the Word, and in hearing more clearly when the Lord speaks. 

Many Christians are weekenders who only open their Bible and pray on Sunday. They are like those who hunt and fish only occasionally. Make time for God. Read and pray over His Word daily. Train yourself, be disciplined, give God time each day. You will be amazed how more skilled you will be in living life His way. Life becomes much easier when you give Him a chance.

Your line, monofilament, is your direct connection to fish. Leave your reels in a cool place and change the line routinely. Sunlight and temperature changes weaken monofilament. You don't want to tell a story about the big one that got away due to your broken line.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2017 at 08:43
Bible Study Verses
I Corinthians 16:13-14
Be on your guard; stand firm  in the faith; be courageous; be strong.  Do everything in love. (NIV)

Thoughts
There may come a time on a hunt where you have to follow the commands of this verse. When? When you observe someone violating a game law, such as:
  • Shooting more than his limit of birds;
  • Shooting two deer and trying to sneak them out.
  • Sneaking an animal home without tagging it so he can hunt and kill another one. 
These are all violations of game laws. What should you do? 

Get whatever pertinent information is available and call the game department of the state where you're hunting to report the violation.

Similarly, as Christians, we must be vigilant, watching for Satan's attacks against us. We must be on our guard, stand firm in our faith, and be strong men of courage! It's what God expects of us, and what He's equipped us to be. 

When the attacks come, report them to God, He'll take care of the violator! 
(Cliff S)

Action Point
The Bible tells us to stand, or to stand and be strong for our God. Trust Him. He'll provide all that you need to stand firm in your faith. Read His Word. Pray at all times. Put on His armor. Stand! (Ephesians 6).

Do not confront a game law violator. Call the appropriate authorities and let them do what they're trained to do. Do be a good witness by getting as much information as possible to help the officer do his job.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2017 at 09:46
Bible Study Verse
Mathew 4:19 
And He said to them, Come after Me [as disciples letting Me be your Guide], follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men! 
(Amplified)

Thoughts
I was recently asked to teach a fly tying class at the local library. This was a labor of love, as I've been "tying" for twenty-eight years. As I began to prepare for this, I reflected about the gatherings to which our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, spoke: mixed audiences, young and old, some familiar with the script, some who came for the free food, many searching for positive reinforcement and satisfaction in their life. Armed with these biblical thoughts, I began to prepare my fly tying presentation. 
(Carl B)

Action Point
Learning how to tie your own fishing flies may not be an activity for everyone. Here are two benefits for consideration: 
  1. How often do you fly-fish? If you fish more than thirty days each year, tying and building your own flies and baits offers the added satisfaction of catching a fish with a fly you assembled. 
  2. After arriving at your dream fly-fishing city, you go into the sporting goods store to purchase some flies, only to hear, "People are catching limits of trout using a Blue Morning Dunn, but we are out of those. We'll have some in next week." Another reason to learn how to tie your own flies.

These are several avenues to get started tying your own flies and baits: 
  • Use Google Search / Internet to locate free "How to Tie Flies." 
  • Contact local fly-fishing clubs for lessons they provide. 
  • Your local library has fly tying books or can order them for your use. 
  • Contact local game and fish agencies for fly-fishing classes in your area.
And remember that time is never wasted while testing your fly-fishing skills, especially when you carry a Bible and God's grace with you.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2017 at 07:58
Bible Study Verses
Mark 1:14-18

After John  was put in prison, Jesus went into Galilee,  proclaiming the good news of God.   "The time has come," he said. "The kingdom of God has come near. Repent and believe the good news!"  As Jesus walked beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen.  "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will send you out to fish for people."  At once they left their nets and followed him. (NIV)

Thoughts
A few years ago, I went on a fishing trip with an older man to a secret little trout lake in northern Arizona. He had been fishing there himself about two weeks prior; and on our first morning, he pointed out a set of well-defined footprints in the mud on the edge of the lake.

"I stood in this exact spot for two days and caught my limit without moving anywhere else," he said, pointing to the footprints. I then watched him give a repeat performance, standing in the same tracks, as I flung lures along a half-mile of shoreline with hit-and-miss-success. No matter what I put on the end of my line, I could not get into the trout as he had.

"Come stand right here," he said, pointing at his foot prints. However, I didn't want to take his suggestion. I wanted to do it my way; until after a few hours, I reluctantly gave in, followed his lead and stood in the muddy footprints. He was right; and shortly after, I was enjoying myself catching my limit of beautiful Rainbows. 

(Ruben C)

Action Point
Some of you undoubtedly know parallel scenarios, right? We men can be so stubborn sometimes ("Sometimes?" my wife says). We want to do things in our own power. In II Corinthians 12:9, Paul states, But he said to me, " 'My grace  is sufficient for you, for my power  is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me, " (NIV).

Boy, to be like the Apostle Paul, just some of the time! The world teaches us that we have to be independent, the strongest, and have all the answers all the time. That is a lie of the world, my brothers. God says different! He opposes the proud and gives grace to the humble (James 4:6); and that is a promise you can count on! 

Be honest about your weaknesses and let God take the lead for you in those areas where you are weak. Better to stay "on track" with God than the world, for His reward for your efforts is greater!

Though not a fly fisherman (five words that will have me persecuted among you purists, I know!), I have found that the trick of tying a fly a few feet past a clear bubble on my ultra-light spinning rig will fool a lot of trout that just don't know any better. My Dad taught me that after I tried and failed with nearly everything else in my tackle box.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2017 at 08:20
Bible Study Verse
Philippians 4:19 
And my God shall supply all your needs according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. (NKJV)

Thoughts
Always looking for a new way to manage my weight. At many events where I speak, folks often offer me their great diet plan. 

A few weeks ago, a fellow told me about his latest. "It's called the dog food diet," he stated. "You just fill a pocket with dried dog kibble and whenever you get hungry, just eat a handful. I lost close to fifty pounds in four months, but I did end up in the hospital ICU." 

"Did the dog food poison you?" I asked.

"No," he replied. "I was just sitting in the middle of the road scratching myself and a truck hit me!"

The TV commercial says, "Life comes at you fast." Maybe you were just sitting there living life, scratching if you please, and then, out of nowhere you are run over. As much as we prepare, it is not difficult to be knocked off your feet. At this point, Christ is there. In the middle of the storm, in the darkness of the night, and in the silence of the fury, He stands there saying, "Come unto Me." 

I've been in that difficult place, and He was there. He will be there for you! 
(Joey H)

Action Point
I do not want my relationship to God to be just an open-in-case-of-emergency relationship. So, I walk with Him every day. Then, when life comes at me fast, I am ready. 

Every day, in every way, acknowledge Him, and you to will be ready.

When I am on the road and it is time to fill my bus with diesel, I call an FHA loan officer and look for a well-used truckstop with good quality fuel. Your dog's food is just as important. Feed a high quality dry food to your dogs. Raise the percentage of fat and protein when you are hunting them; then, back it down during those slow days of summer. Stay away from table scraps, and feed a good dry kibble.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2017 at 07:45
Bible Study Verses
II Peter 1:10-11
Therefore, believers, be all the more diligent to make certain about His calling and choosing you [be sure that your behavior reflects and confirms your relationship with God]; for by doing these things [actively developing these virtues], you will never stumble [in your spiritual growth and will live a life that leads others away from sin]; for in this way entry into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will be abundantly provided to you. (Amplified)

Thoughts
A great passion of mine is winter wade fishing for trophy seatrout and redfish. It is a stealthy and exciting way to fish. However, there are hazards. Shoreline bottoms are intermittingly made up of soft muddy spots, rocks, shallow holes and reefs of various sizes. Although I have come close, I have not fallen. It is always a concern that I could trip in the cold winter water, thus ruining my trip. I am cognizant of the perils and move carefully, stepping over rocks or avoiding soft muddy areas.

Giving one's life to Christ does not take away the hazards of life. But, if you are steadfast, the Holy Spirit will guide you and help you sidestep the many rocks and soft spots that will be in your path.
(Will D)

Action Point
It is distinctly possible there are places and/or people in your life that will cause you to stumble. If so, consider Paul's charge in I Timothy 6:11, "But as for you, [a]O man of God, flee from these things; aim at and pursue righteousness [true goodness, moral conformity to the character of God], godliness [the fear of God], faith, love, steadfastness, and gentleness" (Amplified). 

Saltwater will wreak havoc on equipment. Take time after each trip to clean not only your rod and reels but also your baits. Hooks will rust quickly.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2017 at 08:16
Bible Study Verses
Psalm 1:1-3
Blessed is the one who does not walk  in step with the wicked or stand in the way  that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, but whose delight is in the law of the Lord,
and who meditates on his law day and night. That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither - whatever they do prospers. (NIV)

Thoughts
As a hunter, I want to be associated with other sportsmen who will be law abiding and give wise counsel in all situations. Likewise, I want to grow in my Christian life and my walk with Jesus. God's plan for growth is to avoid the counsel of foolish individuals and to listen to wise counsel. 

Wise counsel is best found in His word. His instructions are to meditate on it day and night. In other words, where I go, so should God's words - in my thoughts and in my actions. There are also two promises here, rewards for our obedience: stability and prosperity. But, there is action required on our part - meditate on the Word. 

Another observation about this passage: David chose to address negative counsel first. Now, considering today's worry about self-esteem, it would seem that he would have addressed the positive first. I think that the writer may be indicating that it is always easy to find someone who will give us free advice and counsel, and it's usually worth just what we pay for it. 

However, if we desire to grow in God and gain wisdom in our walk with Him, we must be in His Word. 
(Cliff S)

Action Point
If you want to grow in your faith and in your walk with God, you must spend time in the Bible. Read, study, and meditate on God's Word daily.

If you want to be a good marksman, you must practice. Get out to the range often and burn up a box of cartridges. Practice will help you when the time comes for that shot of a lifetime.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2017 at 09:45
Bible Study Verses
Psalm 34:8-10
Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge  in him. Fear the Lord,  you his holy people, for those who fear him lack nothing. The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing. (NIV)

Thoughts
Outdoors people observe the goodness, majesty and providential care of God. We see that God provides shelter and food for the wild animals. We witness His power in a storm. His power and majesty are displayed in the sky. The natural world is a revelation of God! 

These verses invite us to personally experience the sufficiency of God and teach us to depend upon Him. He is all we need! He alone can protect us. God alone can satisfy the void created by the disappointments of life. 

We must reverence Him with fearful respect and submit to His will and ways. A saint is one who has been declared righteous by the Judge of the earth. This happens when we believe in His Son, Jesus, personally and commit our souls to Him for eternal safe keeping. 

English Bible translations spell the Old Testament names of God differently so that we can understand the significance of each name. "LORD" in capital letters is the Hebrew name of God, Jehovah. LORD is God's personal name, His Covenant name. He is the personal, Covenant keeping God. This name summarizes His entire character. His saints are secure because the LORD is their protector. This name implies a personal relationship. As the wild animals find refuge, run to Him to find all you need. 
(Jack M)

Action Point
Involve yourself with God. Experience His goodness as you enjoy the outdoors. He alone can truly satisfy the longing of your inner being. God provides for the animals, but they cannot know Him personally as humans can. Involve Him in everything you do.

Carry along some basic snacks and trail food for energy. This can be a life saver if you are stranded, injured, or lost. You may be able to share these with another who needs help. Such food is enjoyable and makes the hunt more attractive for young hunters
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2017 at 10:16
Veterans Day 2017

God Bless Each Veteran and His/Her Family!!!

May God Bless America . . .

Bible Study Verses
Isaiah 50:6-7 

I gave My back to those who struck Me,
And My cheeks to those who plucked out the beard;
I did not hide My face from shame and spitting.

"For the Lord God will help Me;
Therefore I will not be disgraced;
Therefore I have set My face like a flint,
And I know that I will not be ashamed." (NKJV)

Thoughts
My Uncle Quentin is a survivor. At age 19, he was mortally wounded in the Battle of the Bulge and was awarded the Bronze Star for bravery. A young Army surgeon saved his arm, but barely.

Did my uncle quit, go on total disability, take pity on himself? No! Instead, he put himself through college and became a USDA District Soil Conservationist in northern WV.

At age 29, He came to Christ and His new life began . . .

National recognition came soon after, for his Elk River Soil/Water Conservation Project.

After 30+ years of helping WV farmers, Uncle Quentin retired. He then helped start a church; nursed his wife, my Aunt Joy, through 5 years of terminal cancer. taught Sunday School at a mountain church, married a widow, and now helps her work a 50 head Angus farm, delivering 20 calves per Spring. He's currently fighting cancer at age 87. He's still a survivor!
(Fred B)

Action Point
The Messianic passage above talks of Jesus being a survivor. You say, "But He died. How was He a survivor?"

First, He survived the world's worst beating - flogged, pierced, hair and beard ripped out, crushed under the load of a 100+ pound cross-beam, plus the load of our sins transferred onto Him, as He climbed the hill. Isaiah records Messiah's words, "I have set my face like a flint."

Second, He voluntarily laid down His life for us and rose from the dead by His own power. John 10:17,18, "Therefore My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again. No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father," (NKJV).

Third, He is waiting to come back and take over His Earthly kingdom, conquering all other powers. Revelation 19:15, "Now out of His mouth goes a sharp sword, that with it He should strike the nations. And He Himself will rule them with a rod of iron. He Himself treads the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God," (NKJV).

Just as I'm proud of my Uncle Quentin for his sacrifice, service to our country, and endurance of physical and emotional trials--so, we can be proud of the greatest survivor in history our Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ!!!

Prepare to survive eternally - call upon Jesus to be your Savior, the Sacrifice for your sins. You can't survive without Him.

Prepare to survive your hunt, hike, or fishing trip: parachute chord bracelet, first aid kit, fire starter, food, water/water filter, knife and sidearm (where legal), even for a day hike. 

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2017 at 09:24
Bible Study Verses
Hebrews 10:24-25
And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds,  not giving up meeting together,  as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another -and all the more as you see the Day approaching. (NIV)

Thoughts
There is an old joke that asks, "Why is one side of the V formation that geese fly longer than the other side?" A person might come up with some biological or aerodynamic answer; but the punch line is: "There are more geese on the longer side." 

That's kind of funny; but there are some interesting facts about geese and their flight patterns. One goose by itself can fly a long way, but studies have shown that a flock of geese can fly 70 percent farther when they work together. I have watched a lot of geese fly overhead. They constantly honk to each other. I can't prove it, but I think they are encouraging and spurring one another along as they travel such great distances. 
(Ron T)

Action Point
Offering encouragement to people can change their whole attitude. With a little encouragement, great deeds can be accomplished. 

There are some people who have the gift of encouragement from the Holy Spirit (Romans 12:6), so encouragement seems to come easily from them. However, we can all practice this trait. Just like the geese that work together and encourage one another, we can do the same. Try encouraging some kids today; then sit back and watch their eyes light up.

When goose hunting over decoys, place your decoys facing the wind and in a "J" formation. This gives the real geese a place to set their wings and land.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2017 at 08:08
Bible Study Verses
Psalm 121:1-2 
I will lift up my eyes to the hills--From whence comes my help? My help comes from the LORD, Who made heaven and earth. (NKJV)

Thoughts
Being a good hunter requires many skills. Those skills are obtained with the help from our fathers, other hunters, magazine articles, seminars--any who are willing to help. 

My good friends just returned from a short-term mission trip to India, providing help by giving blankets to the poor. For us, for me, anyway, it is hard to imagine something as insignificant as a blanket meaning so much to someone. I have several rifles in my gun-safe while these poor people have only the clothing on their backs. 

One couple who received blankets last year came to Christ because of the love shown them through the gift of a blanket. In one year, that couple is responsible for more than 200 other people coming to Christ, all because God inspired some who have so much to share with others who have so little. 
(Byron S)

Action Point
Before we buy that new pair of binoculars, bow, or gun, take time to reflect: 
  • How important is this? 
  • Have I shared my wealth with someone who has nothing? 
Consider taking a short-term mission trip this year in lieu of another out-of-state hunting trip. Wouldn't it be awesome to look into the eyes of someone who is seeing the Light of Christ for the first time? Assistance in finding information about short-term mission trips is available through your church, or take a look at http://www.global-act.org/.

Always carry survival gear in your back pack, things that will aid you in getting help. Do you carry a flashlight, compass, waterproof matches, cell phone, reflecting device or other similar items?
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2017 at 11:30
Bible Study Verse
Proverbs 30:4
Who has ascended into heaven, or descended?
Who has gathered the wind in His fists?
Who has bound the waters in a garment?
Who has established all the ends of the earth?
What is His name, and what is His Son's name, if you know? (NKJV)

Thoughts
What is your favorite outdoor scene? Can you narrow it down to just one? I couldn't. Let me list a few of my favorites:

* Watching the sun rise through the hardwoods of the Ozarks.
* The sight of a whitetail buck through the south Arkansas pines.
* Sunset through the cypress trees along the White River in central Arkansas.

I could keep going but for sake of losing you, I will stop with those three. Combine those scenes with the scent of pine or the smell of an oak flat and the scene is breathtaking. 
(Brian H.)

Action Point 
Look at the questions posed in Proverbs 30:4: 
  • Who has ascended into heaven or descended? 
  • Who has gathered the wind in His fists? Who has bound the waters in a garment? 
  • Who has established all the ends of the earth? 
If I were to pose this question to a Sunday School class full of fourth-graders, they would all shout in unison, "Jesus!"

Perhaps I should become a bit more child-like for a few minutes. Perhaps I could word it this way: 
  • Who has created the sun and caused it to rise through the hardwoods of the Ozarks? 
  • Who has created the deer, built the pines, and formed the Gulf Coastal Plain in its magnificence? 
  • Who has gathered together the majestic waters of the White River, pushed up the cypress trees, and painted the sky with the sunset?
What is His name? What is His Son's name?

Jesus.

Substitute in your favorite scene and think about the Creator. Bask in the brilliance of His creative handiwork and declare the works of His almighty hand. What is His name, and what is His Son's name, if you know?

A while back I started taking pictures of things that are beautiful to look at or that inspire me in some way. They don't mean much to others, but they have meaning to me. I started storing those pictures and then going back and just looking from time to time. They usually inspire me all over again. If you're not snapping a picture here and there in God's country, then you're missing an opportunity to be inspired again later when the moment is over and the time has passed.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2017 at 10:45
Study Verses
Job 38:1-3
Then the Lord spoke to Job  out of the storm.  He said:  "Who is this that obscures my plans with words without knowledge? Brace yourself like a man; I will question you, and you shall answer me. " (NIV)

Thoughts
The Bible gives us many examples of God's revelation in nature. When God addresses Job in Chapters 38-41, He expounds on many of the marvels of the natural world, and implies in His questions to Job that, even though man is full of words, he lacks understanding unless that understanding is given by God. We need to be humble in the face of creation; and recognize that even in this day of modern science, we are limited in our knowledge of the workings of the natural world. 

What's more, if we look only at the natural world, or "general revelation," we are limited in our knowledge of God. Even though the natural world shows order and beauty, standing alone it tells us nothing of the saving work of Christ. For that we need the scriptures or "special revelation" to reveal the purpose of history and the work of Christ in it. Although you can see signs of God in nature, never settle for God without Christ. 
(Steve S)

Action Point
You can enjoy the outdoors in many ways, and even see God in the natural world, but make it a point to know God through Christ. Allow the natural world to reveal God to you, but do not let the natural world replace scripture.

When calling game, be sure to add realism. Don't settle for a dead cadence - inject fear, hunger, companionship, lust or other emotions into the call. People respond to emotion, so do game animals.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2017 at 04:45
Bible Study Verses
Jonah 2:7-10

When my soul fainted upon me [crushing me], I earnestly and seriously remembered the Lord; and my prayer came to You, into Your holy temple. Those who pay regard to false, useless, and worthless idols forsake their own [Source of] mercy and loving-kindness.

But as for me, I will sacrifice to You with the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay that which I have vowed. Salvation and deliverance belong to the Lord! And the Lord spoke to the fish, and it vomited out Jonah upon the dry land. (Amplified Bible)

Thoughts
At first two poor kids, my spouse and I, shared the inexpensive graphite fly rod we purchased. We didn't care! We were pulling them in and releasing so we could catch more. Later I learned it was called "catch and release." 

Have fished a lake that legend taunts no one has been to the bottom since it is an extinct volcano, I wondered how big of a fish could this lake foster being bottomless? Enough of the Jonah syndrome, I refocused on fishing.

Stubborn Jonah miraculously slept through the storm that moved the sailors on the ship to pray. Refusing God's direction to preach to the Assyrians, he encouraged the sailors to throw him over board. Evidently he preferred to drown than go to Nineveh. Instead they drew lots and miraculously Jonah was chosen. You know what happened next - the large God prepared fish swallows him and the storm calms.

(Jo Q)

Action Point
There are two ways to learn, the easy or the hard way. Obviously Jonah chose the hardest of the hard. He did not want God to forgive these vile Assyrians who led their mutilated captives by hooks in their noses; Jonah did not believe they deserved a 2nd chance! He was rebellious to the core thinking his plan for his life was superior to God's. He thought he could run from God. He was living his life his way. His life was a disaster and he continued on. After 3 days, and 3 nights in the humid 98 degree fish God provided, he gets it! With seaweed wrapped around his head (see Jonah 2:5), he prays and offers thanksgiving before he is spit up on dry land.

How many choose to live life disastrously and are too stubborn and prideful to ask for God to forgive them, to walk away from sin, and to help them. Been there, done that. It never works. 

We cannot run from God. He loves us so much that He allows calamities, extreme discomfort, stress, and crushing heart hurts to bring us to the end. Then He steps in with everything we need. Like the Israelites many choose not to learn and keep hiking around "their mountain." We choose - we choose life or death.

All need to remember that God loves each of us, His ways are the best, He loves all Jews and Gentiles, He is not the author of confusion (I Corinthians 14: 33), He has a plan personally designed for each of us, and He will move Heaven and Earth to bring us to Him and into His perfect will. Remember God's promise, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future, Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV).

Carrying an extra third of a roll of Mountain Money (toilette paper) in a zip lock qt size bag can be a God sent miracle to a fellow unprepared hiker. Also include a handwritten note expressing "God loves you" and a Sportsmens Devotional card (can be printed off the SD website) in the bag.

When we meet another in need, we need to remember it as "a divine appointment" orchestrated by our loving Heavenly Father. When we meet a physical need, it opens the door for us to meet their spiritual needs too.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 115116117118119 122>
  Share Topic