The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The CoffeeCorner > Keeping the Faith
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Todays Sportsmens Devotional

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 114115116117118 122>
Author
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2017 at 07:39
Sportsmens Devotional

A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian SportsmenSeptember 5, 2017   

Today's Photograph . . . .  If We Follow God's Path, We Can Be Like The Mountain Goat And Have No Fear Of Slipping Or Falling  (NPS)
Bible Study Verses
Psalms 17:4-5
Though people tried to bribe me, I have kept myself from the ways of the violent   through what your lips have commanded. My steps have held to your paths;   my feet have not stumbled. (NIV)

Thoughts
Have you ever seen a mountain goat jump from rock to rock, or climb straight up the side of a mountain? They do it with very little effort. If we tried that same climb, we would need ropes, bolts, anchors, and safety equipment. 

God has given mountain goats their own specialized equipment. Their hooves have a hard outer shell with a rubbery concave foot pad that acts like a suction cup when they put weight on it. Not even the most expensive pair of vibrum-soled hunting boots can compare to the foot of a mountain goat. 
(Ron T)

Action Point
When out hunting or hiking in the woods, it's possible to come across many trails and paths. Some paths will get you home and some won't. It's important to know what's what out there.

King David warned us about the path of the wicked (Proverbs 4:14). God has a better path and He will teach us His ways (Micah 4:2). If we follow God's path, we can be like the mountain goat and have no fear of slipping or falling.

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
Comfortable, supportive footwear is one of the most important aspects of a successful hunt. The hunt can end in a hurry if you get blisters or your boots do not fit correctly. When you shop for a new pair of boots, make sure they are a good fit and designed for the terrain you will be hunting.
God,Mother,Country,and Hot Rods. Done with political crap.LOL
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2017 at 08:01
I thought I would like to post something different today from a friend of our family's . I hope it's ok .

Scripture
"…And in an instant, suddenly, you shall be visited and delivered by the Lord of hosts…"
(Isaiah 29:5-6, AMPC)

In an Instant
All through the Bible, we have examples of how God suddenly showed Himself strong on behalf of His people. But sometimes when we’ve struggled for a long time, it’s easy to just give up. One of the enemy’s greatest lies is to tell you that nothing is ever going to change. He’ll tell you that you’re never going to get well, that your marriage isn’t going to work out, that you’re never going to break that addiction. But I want to tell you today, it doesn’t matter how long you’ve been in those circumstances, God can change things in an instant! In a split second of time, He can turn it all around. One touch of God’s power can heal your body. One touch of His favor can promote you. One touch of His goodness can solve that problem. Just one touch from Almighty God can instantly change your life.

I encourage you today to keep believing, keep standing and keep hoping. Don’t let the enemy drag your thoughts down because God is working behind the scenes. Your time is coming, and I declare that your breakthrough is going to happen suddenly—in an instant!

A Prayer for Today

"Father, I choose to trust that You are working things out for my good. I choose to stand in faith, believing that my breakthrough is coming. Give me Your strength and peace as I patiently wait on You in Jesus’ name. Amen 

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 07:43

A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian SportsmenSeptember 10, 2017 

Today's Photograph . . . . Suddenly They're Gone . . . (Rebecca L_ 

Bible Study Verses

Romans 12:2

Do not be conformed to this world (this age), [fashioned after and adapted to its external, superficial customs], but be transformed (changed) by the [entire] renewal of your mind [by its new ideals and its new attitude], so that you may prove [for yourselves] what is the good and acceptable and perfect will of God, even the thing which is good and acceptable and perfect [in His sight for you]. (Amplified)  

Proverbs 23:4-5  

Weary not yourself to be rich; cease from your own [human] wisdom. Will you set your eyes upon wealth, when [suddenly] it is gone? For riches certainly make themselves wings, like an eagle that flies toward the heavens. (Amplified)

Thoughts
Do you ever find yourself on autopilot? You go through each day doing what needs to be done. Sometimes you snatch a wise phrase here or there of God's Word, but not necessarily anything that deepens your relationship with God.

Our life gradually fills up with various demands and stresses. Unexpectedly, we find ourselves lashing out at those we love, or catch ourselves falling into sin we never imagined ourselves falling for. Whoa . . . !!!
(Rebecca L)

Action Point
In today's verses we are encouraged to be changed by the renewing of our mind! The only way to renew our mind is to refresh our mind in ?God's holy living Word. When you first wake up, say, "Hello," to God who has given you another glorious day!!!

Connect with Your Creator!!! He is just hanging out giving you rain, sunshine, a cool breeze, a great day fishing, or a soul-renewing hike--if you only clear your mind and see His Creation.

Open up His book and see what He has to say. Talk to Him on your commute to work, or when you're out enjoying what He has made for you!!!

When you realize you've been on autopilot . . . open up His manual and choose to let Him be your pilot!!!

Don't approach your next hunt on autopilot: 

• Scout your area to see where the herd is running. 
  • Keep your guns in good working order. After each firing, clean them thoroughly and regularly. 
  • Make sure you site them in for accuracy. 
  • Set aside time prior to the hunt for the special people in your life. 
  • Invite those who are special to go with you, even if they just want to stay in camp while you hunt..   
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 08:33

A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian SportsmenSeptember 14, 2017   

Today's Photograph . . . .  You Will Be A Better Friend, Spouse, Parent or Business Partner (NPS)
Bible Study Verses
James 1: 19-20 
My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,  because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires. (NIV)

Thoughts
One of the most human reactions is to jump to conclusions. Its close cousin is to not listen well to others before taking action or forming an opinion. If you can recall people who have made you feel valued or even loved, it is likely they had the habit of being good listeners. 

Most people respond well, even without knowing why, to those who listen and take full measure of what they have to say. If you have a hard time with the spiritual model of this, use the mathematical logic of the western mind and consider that God gave us two ears and one mouth. If we used them in that proportion, or even used a larger ratio in the same direction, we would all be a little better off in our relationships. 
(Brent B)

Action Point
Even though people will be at different places on the scale of listening, make a deliberate effort to listen closer to them to see what you may have been missing. Ask follow up questions. Be a active listener. " I think I hear you saying ....(fill in per context)" is an excellent tool to use when speaking to others to sharpen your own listening skills and to let others know you value them. 

A trick hound men have used while following their pack on chase is to cup a hand behind an ear, or both ears, to pick up more sound coming to them when the signals are faint. Try it sometime, it works quite well. That's why so many wise seniors use it to help fading hearing. 

Then remember the literal act and apply its lesson to your communication style. Combined with a little patience in coming to a conclusion, you will be a better friend, spouse, parent or business partner.

When sleeping outdoors in a tent in cool weather conditions, be prepared to put on clean, dry clothing, particularly underwear, when getting ready to crawl under the covers or in the sleeping bag. Clothes you've been active in all day will have some moisture from perspiration even in dry, cool conditions. Cotton socks are the worst. While you may feel comfortable at first, the damp clothing will let you down later in the night as temperatures cool and the warming from your fire or heater has worn off. Making sure you are dry before turning in will help ensure the best possible night's sleep.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2017 at 09:37

A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian SportsmenSeptember 15, 2017   

Today's Photograph . . . . They Gather In Anticipation  (NPS)
Bible Study Verses
Ephesians 6:10-17
Finally, be strong in the Lord  and in his mighty power. 
Put on the full armor of God,  so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes.  For our struggle is not against flesh and blood,  but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.  Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place,  and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.  
In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. (NIV)

Thoughts
Each morning at sunup, during my daily quiet time, I have a treat watching 50 to 60 cow elk with yearlings walk across the meadow in front of my house. 

They gather in anticipation of calving, which usually occurs sometime in April. Banding together in such a large group provides protection while calving, as the coyotes and Mexican gray wolves in the area tend to know when the cows are dropping their newborn. 

I will know when this happens, as they tend not to cross the pasture in the open right after they calve. 
(Byron S)

Action Point
You and I also need protection from the predator, Satan, as he continually stalks us (1 Peter 5:8). The scriptures warn us again and again about immorality. We often fail to recognize the spiritual war that attacks us through the media on a daily basis. 

Pay attention to the Holy Spirit if He repeatedly warns you about a temptation or dangerous situation: 
  • Keep yourself chaste. 
  • Don't depend on your own strength and wisdom in times of weakness.
  • Call upon Jesus and lean on His strength in fighting these battles
  • You will gain strength if you take time out daily to read your Bible.

We have so many options for keeping our cutting tools sharp in the field. Carry a pocket steel; or one of the new handy items is a "Speedy Sharp." Keep these with you, as knives tend to dull when going through hide or cutting against bone.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2017 at 09:06
Bible Study Verses
Job 37:11-13
Also with moisture He saturates the thick clouds;  He scatters His bright clouds. And they swirl about, being turned by His guidance, That they may do whatever He commands them on the face of the whole earth. He causes it to come, Whether for correction, Or for His land, Or for mercy. (NKJV)

Thoughts
As I write this, the Midwest is experiencing a moderate drought. We need moisture, either rain or snow - we don't care.

There's one player in the book of Job who spoke wisely about storms, Elihu. He was a young guy and properly waited his turn to speak after his elders made miserable comforters of themselves (not my words but Job's words in 16:2). But when he spoke, boy, he really let 'em have it.

He was filled with the spirit. He was a mediator and a confessor of the goodness, majesty, righteousness, and holiness of God. In Job 37:11-13, Elihu discerned why God sends thunderstorms: to punish the wicked, to nourish the land, and to supply the needs of people.
(Don H)

Action Point
Our Scripture for today is about judgment, provision, and mercy. Somewhere in those three words, I see the cross of Jesus on which sin was judged, salvation is provided, and mercy is abundant.

Cold, windy weather is easier to handle with a pair of good quality ski goggles. There's a reason skiers wear them! I've found name brand units for just a couple of dollars at thrift stores.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2017 at 07:12

A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian SportsmenApril 9, 2015   

Today's Photograph . . . . For Many Success Comes Through Learning From Failed Opportunities  (USFWS)
Bible Study Verses
Ephesians 5:15-16
Be very careful, then, how you live -not as unwise but as wise,  making the most of every opportunity,  because the days are evil. (NIV)

Thoughts
Last Spring, my oldest daughter and I were out turkey hunting for her first time. This hunt was the culmination of months of preparation and lots of target practice. 

On the first day, she had a great opportunity to take a huge Tom. The beard was all the way down to the ground! Her heart was pounding as she prepared to take the shot. The turkey was at 18 yards, and a case of "turkey fever" had set in. In the excitement to get off a good shot, she grabbed the gun and looked down at the bead. She pulled the trigger; a couple of feathers flew into the air, and the Tom ran away. The best reason that we can determine for the missed turkey is that my daughter didn't look down the barrel from back to front. She shot looking only at the bead on the tip of the barrel without a rear anchor point.

When people are confronted with making an important decision, you'll hear them say, "How do you really know what God's will is?" Seeking God's will is similar to what happened to my daughter with her turkey - she only used the bead to gauge her shot. We didn't have a back sight on the barrel at the time. If she had used a back sight along with the front, she would have been firmly anchored on her target with a much lower margin of error. 

In finding God's will, you must first know God's Word; secondly, trust in the Holy Spirit's leading; and finally, seek counsel from Godly people who truly know how you're wired. We may not always hit the mark in our Christian walk, but using each of these together will decrease the likelihood of making decisions that aren't God-honoring.
(Dave M)

Action Point
We live in a fast-paced world; and God's timing isn't always ours. Take time to utilize the tools God has given us to determine the right course of action - read the Bible, pray, and seek Godly counsel. Don't make your decision without doing all three in conjunction with each other. God will answer. Just make sure you have the time to listen!

As much as we all like to hear stories of the successful hunt, the reality for many is that success comes through learning from failed opportunities. Remember, if you are outdoors with a young person, be patient and gracious with them. What's most important is that they have a good time and want to come back again to give it another whirl. Although my daughter missed the Tom, it's one of our favorite memories together. It was exciting, even without the bird!
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2017 at 08:29

A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian SportsmenSeptember 21, 2017   

Today's Photograph . . . . The Difference Is That, As Christians, We Know God Is Watching Over Us and, If Needed, Will Carry Us (NPS)
Bible Study Verse
Matthew 11:28
Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. (NKJV)

Thoughts
As we all know, life is not always just a relaxing hike in the woods! Even as Christians, we have what we consider to be burdens. The difference is that, as Christians, we know God is watching over us and, if needed, will carry us. 

When hunting, most will agree that there are times we have burdens that need to be carried. It could be anything from hunting gear to recently killed game. To help carry their load, some hunters have turned to the sure-footed mule. 
(Doug L)

Action Point
As the mule will give the hunter rest from his burden, Christ reminds us in the above scripture that He, too, will give us rest.  

Instead of worrying, or letting life's burdens drag you down, turn to the One who can ease your burdens.

When heading out on your camping or hunting expedition, think of ways to lighten your load. Use a portable game hauler (cart), an ice chest with wheels, a sling for your long gun, a sure-footed mule, or a few strong buddies. You'll enjoy your trip even more with the energy you save.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2017 at 06:40
Bible Study Verse
Romans 6:13 
Do not offer any part of yourself to sin as an instrument of wickedness,  but rather offer yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer every part of yourself to Him as an instrument of righteousness. (NIV)

Thoughts
Tools and gadgets are part of outdoor fun. We all have a bag, a vest, a tackle box, or maybe even a garage full of them! They make outdoor times more productive and enjoyable. Going through catalogs helps get us through times of "cabin fever" between seasons. 

We all know that there are specialty tools with a specific purpose and function. If we need a certain job done, we must have that particular tool to do it. 

Outdoor shows feature myriad varieties of such tools; and part of the enjoyment in attending these shows is to learn about the new ones, and to purchase what we need. 
(Jack M)

Action Point
Our bodies are tools. We choose if they are tools for good or tools for sinning. Certainly these influences - good or bad - may be upon ourselves or others. 

God has specific functions for each of us. We are intentionally constructed for His purposes. He invites us to join Him in His work here in this world to accomplish unique things for His glory. 

He rewards and disciplines us for what we do, whether we choose to do good or to use our bodies for evil. II Corinthians 5:10 reminds us, "For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each of us may receive what is due us  for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad," (NIV). 

His intent is for us to use our bodies as tools to accomplish good as He defines it. I choose to use my body for good and for His glory. 

Which purpose will you choose? Will you choose to use your body as a tool for good or for sinning?

Carry the right tools when afield. A knife, a saw, fire making equipment, signaling devices, first aid kits, and other implements are needed at different times. Folding style multi-tools are made by many reliable companies. They may be carried in a sheath on a belt or in a pack. The many tasks that these tools may perform might just save a hunt, or a life.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2017 at 08:59

A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian SportsmenSeptember 23, 2017   

Today's Photograph . . . . The Majesty Of The Storm Triple Highlights His Majesty And Power (NPS)
Bible Study Verses
Psalm 29:3-4 
The voice  of the Lord is over the waters; the God of glory  thunders, the Lord thunders over the mighty waters. The voice of the Lord is powerful; the voice of the Lord is majestic. (NIV)

Thoughts
A thunderstorm moving in is a mighty sight, but a thunderstorm over the ocean's water is awesome. One time my son, a friend, his son, and I were camped on the beach on Galveston Island. During the early morning hours, a storm rolled in off the Gulf with lots of thunder. The thunderclaps were not only loud, they would echo across the water, prolonging a loud boom. Along with lightning, it was truly a awesome experience of God's majesty 
(Tom B)

Action Point
I take God for granted a lot of time in the course of my busy life - He's the "Big Guy" up there when I need something. But, experiencing something like the majesty of the storm triple highlights His majesty and power. As David wrote, "The voice of the Lord is powerful; the voice of the Lord is majestic." However, along with the power of God we find that He is also a soft, loving God who comforts me in the time of trouble. As a loving father lifts his young baby son when he cries, my God lifts me up and comforts me when I am hurting.

I serve a powerful, majestic Creator. I serve a loving, caring Father who wants only the best for me.

In the Spring, the weather can change quickly - cold fronts sweeping in, changing gentle spring weather into a seething caldron of rain, thunder and lightning. Fishing right before a frontal passage can present some very good fishing action, but make sure you're off the water before the bad weather rolls in.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2017 at 09:42

A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen September 20, 2017    

Today's Photograph . . . . There's No In-Between On This One (MQ)

Bible Study Verses

Joshua 24:14-15

"Now fear the Lord and serve him with all faithfulness. Throw away the gods your ancestors worshiped beyond the Euphrates River and in Egypt, and serve the Lord. But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." (NIV)

Thoughts
Choices . . . We all have them to make, every day. When we're hunting, we have to make them moment-by-moment which path to take, which trail to follow, which mountain to climb, where to camp, still hunt, or spot and stalk, and which animal to kill? Choices are a part of the hunt.

Choices are also part of our spiritual life. Will we follow God, the one true God who has revealed Himself to us in the Bible and in His Son, Jesus or will we allow ourselves to be lured off the trail and follow false gods? Teachings that make us to be our own god, or teachings that worship the creation rather than the Creator are examples of false gods. As you make your choice, research the teachings of Jesus. When you learn more and more about Him, it will be easy to choose the right path!

(Cliff S)

Action Point
Make your choice. There's no in-between on this one. Choose the Lord, and serve Him!

Study the topographic maps and wind patterns prior to hunting an area. These will help you in selecting the best areas to hunt, how to hunt them, and where you will be most likely to find animals.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2017 at 08:09
Bible Study Verse

Romans 8:21

The creation looks forward to the day when it will join God's children in glorious freedom from death and decay. (NLT)

Thoughts
The shotgun barked, and the beautiful ring-neck pheasant tumbled to the ground. I was thankful for the bird, the experience, and for the food that we would enjoy on the table. I am thankful for the dogs that pointed him, the farmers who let me hunt their land, the shotgun, the shells - all that were a gift from my Father in Heaven to make the moment so good. I am thankful to my Creator for it all!

But, I was also very sad. This beautiful creature was dead. It could never fly or walk free again. It was lifeless and broken now. What a tragedy! Fishermen can practice catch and release, which is recommended unless you are taking some for the table. Hunters cannot do so. If I could somehow catch him, and let him go, I would; but sadly, I cannot. Death is a part of life.

(Jack M)

Action Point
Respect all life. Especially value all human life since God uniquely created humans with His own Image.

Respect the life of the game taken in hunting. Outdoorsman are excited and thankful for the fish and game we take. But we should be sad that death is such a necessary part of our experience of life.

Teach others, and especially the young people we influence, to value all life as a gift and a stewardship from God. It is right to be sad that a beautiful creature had to die for us to enjoy the triumph of hunting.

If you are a fisherman, practice catch and release where practical. Never waste fish or game. Never take just the trophy parts of the animal and leave the rest to decay. Donate left over game to a program where it may be processed and given to others who need it; or process it, and give it away yourself.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2017 at 09:07
Bible Study Verse
Proverbs 25:28

A man who does not control his temper is like a city whose wall is broken down.(HCSB)

Thoughts
For a couple years in a row, my family and I had searched an area for an old military fort. It was located where there was a good population of quail and javelina. Whenever we were hunting around there, we would always take time to look for it. I think each of us had conjured up in our mind's eye great images of all the treasure the fort might hold.

It was rather surprising when we finally located it; but all that remained were some crumbled old rock walls and much debris. You could see that at one point it had been a large establishment that housed two companies of the 14th Infantry. Now it is nothing but a few ruins.

(Brett M)

Action Point

These walls were constructed in the late 1800's to protect the military from Indians, most presumably Tonto Apaches. However, without constant attention, they now have fallen into decline and are no longer able to fulfill their mission.

King Solomon tells us in the book of Proverbs that a life without self-control will not be able to complete its mission. If we do not establish and maintain spiritual boundaries in our life, we leave ourselves open to attack from the enemy.

Our personal boundaries, walls of self-control, need constant maintenance. Seek that maintenance by reading God's Word, praying, and through other committed Christians.

Do a little research of the area you are going to be hunting. Many remote areas conceal historic sites known only by a few. Searching for them can provide enjoyment during breaks in hunting or when the hunt is completed.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2017 at 08:53
Bible Study Verse

Romans 13:14

Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the flesh. (NIV)

Thoughts

Bible Study Verse
In today's world with 100's of channels of TV to watch or thousands of bits of information on the internet it is so difficult for us men of Christ to resist the ways of the world.

We men must be clothed with the Armor of God so we can be protected from the world and be the light for the our families and those we come in contact with.

Think of this as if we are preparing to go bow hunting men. We clothe ourselves in camo preparing for the hunt. So it should be that we put on our unseen Christian clothes daily, our armor.

(Mike E)

Action Point

Don't just rely on the camo to hide from game or the Life Preserver to protect you from drowning. Pray that the Armor of God would protect you from the ways of the world today. Don't only prepare yourself for the hunt of the day or for the fishing trip of the day, but for the hunt of making Godly men or be the fisher of men.

As either a hunter or a fisherman or even a golfer we each put on specific pieces of clothing for our hobby. If we do this for the sport we love, then shouldn't we also put on the Armor of God each day as we face the world?

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2017 at 08:24
Bible Study Verses

Psalm 121:1-2

I lift up my eyes to the mountains - where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. (NIV)

Thoughts
Mountains, they are majestic in their glory of God and His creation. This verse is not talking about the hills being our source of help. It is acknowledging that our helper is the Maker of the hills - none other than God, Himself. But, this verse did prompt my thoughts to go to hills of significance in the Bible:
•The hill where the Sermon on the Mount was preached.
•The hills where Jesus went to be alone and to pray.
•The Mount of Transfiguration.
•Especially, the mount called Calvary.

You see, our help does come from that hill, in the form of Jesus' death and His subsequent gift of salvation.

(Cliff S)
Action Point
The next time you're climbing a hill, burdened down by your pack, rifle, and maybe even the trophy you sought, imagine the burden Jesus carried up the hill to His crucifixion. Take time to give Him thanks for not turning back. Jesus was seeking us, you and me, to draw us to Himself and the Father.

When you're investing in a pack frame, try on several until you find one that makes you say, "This one feels good." Then, add some weight to be sure that it's the one for you. Your pack must fit correctly or it will take a lot of the fun out of your outing.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2017 at 08:43

Bible Study Verses

Ephesians 5:15-16

Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise,    making the most of your time, because the days are evil. (NASB)

See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise. Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. (KJV)

Thoughts
Anyone who has hunted for very long has come to understand the importance and value of the walk. To be a consistently successful hunter, one must walk well. Paying attention to changes in wind direction, looking for good cover to prevent long periods of exposure, and careful foot placement with each step are priorities.

When the walk becomes a stalk, paying attention to these priorities is usually the difference between success and failure. I have bagged several animals because others walked carelessly and I capitalized on their errors.

(Randy E)

Action Point

The Holy Spirit gives us the reason for walking as "wise" men and women of God, "So that you will prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent, children of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you   appear as lights in the world, holding fast the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I will have reason to glory because I did not run in vain nor toil in vain," Philippians 2:15-16 (NASB).

So, how are you walking?

When purchasing a new pair of hunting boots or shoes, look for something with a medium soft sole. These soles grip better than hard soles and make a lot less noise, especially in cold weather. After you get your new shoes, show others how to walk in them!

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2017 at 09:00
John 15:4

Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. (NKJV)

Thoughts
Many years have passed, but I will always remember this fishing trip.

I had been asked by a family friend to take her nephew from out-of-state trout fishing. So we four-wheeled and hiked into a remote back-country stream that I had been wanting to fish. It was August, monsoon season in Arizona; and about half way through the day, the sky opened up and poured rain.

Earlier, I had spotted an old cabin up stream, so we made our way there and weathered the storm under the small front porch roof. We had both caught several nice fish and were sharing our stories when I noticed a large blackberry patch at the edge of the stream.

After the storm subsided, we found a couple of old three-pound coffee cans and picked them full of luscious wild blackberries to top off our trout dinner that night. As I remember those berries, I don't believe I've seen any that large since then.

(Byron S)

Action Point
Jesus' words in John 15:4 fit the example of the berry patch that I found. That patch of berries grew right alongside a mountain stream with the roots going deep into the earth and out into the running water. Those berries were constantly fed with nutrients from the life-giving water. No wonder they were so large and luscious.

We can be like that if we do as Jesus says: plant ourselves in His Word and take Him, the Living Water, into our lives. If we do so, He promises that we will grow in faith and bear much fruit.

Knowing and understanding His Word not only guides our daily lives, but also provides us with the right thoughts and words when we need them. For example: It may not be easy for me to get through a day without an unhealthy thought crossing my mind, or perhaps having a plan go wrong. When I try to handle these on my own, my mind might linger too long on the thought, or I don't handle the situation as I should. But I have found that when I stop and take time to ask Him for help, He is always true to His Word - the thoughts are blocked, or somehow, the plan begins to come together in His way.

So, abide in Him and let Him abide in you; and surely, whatever you ask of Him will be done for you. His Word is His bond.

Be sure and carry an inexpensive emergency plastic poncho in your gear when you are out on a day fishing trip. If you don't have one, try a large plastic garbage bag; it will work in a pinch. Also, find shelter in a thunder storm. The lightning can be deadly.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2017 at 08:35

Bible Study Verses

Joshua 4:4-7

So Joshua called together the twelve men he had appointed from the Israelites, one from each tribe, and said to them, "Go over before the ark of the Lord your God into the middle of the Jordan. Each of you is to take up a stone on his shoulder, according to the number of the tribes of the Israelites, to serve as a sign among you. In the future, when your children ask you, 'What do these stones mean?'   tell them that the flow of the Jordan was cut off before the ark of the covenant of the Lord. When it crossed the Jordan, the waters of the Jordan were cut off. These stones are to be a memorial to the people of Israel forever." (NIV)

Thoughts
Trail markers are the key to backpacking success. My family has a game we play when we are out on a trail; and my guess is that if you've done some hiking, you've probably played it too. It's not a game that was officially declared or created, but just sort of evolved.

When we are hiking along, my kids often compete to be the first one to see the next marker. These markers, usually diamond-shaped, in a variety of colors, orange, green, blue, are most often hung about six feet off the ground on either side of a tree and can be easily seen from both directions. This allows you to move forward or go back the other direction if necessary. Many times the trail that we are looking for is overgrown, or there are animal trails that fork off the main trail so that one might appear to be the path we should follow. At times we've had to backtrack to the last marker so that we could get our bearings. Whatever the reason for the lack of direction, these markers help us to find our way.

Spiritually, I have many markers that I can look back on and know that God was working in me or my family. Because of these "landmark" times, I can rest assured that today, even if I don't always see the way clearly, I know that God has sustained me through this life's journey time-and-time again. All I have to do to be reassurred is to look back and see His grace and mercy in my life. I have confidence in Him because of these previous trail markers. These markers help me to press on.

(Dave M)

Action Point

The enemy has a way of putting doubt into the mind of a believer. In these moments when we lack faith, we simply turn back to the spiritual markers God has placed in our life and His Word, the Bible, and remember that He has been faithful to us. He desires the best for us. We must trust in Him.

If you are just getting started in your journey of faith, take it from someone who has been in some rough spots: God will sustain you through thick and thin!

Keep a journal of fishing or hunting trips, backpacking adventures, or camping experiences. Eventually, it will become a gift from you to your kids. I have a friend of mine who has done this; and when they have family gatherings, inevitably one of the kids pulls out the family journal to reminisce about favorite memories.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2017 at 07:38
Bible Study Verses
John 15:1-
"I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser.  Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away;  and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit."  (NKJV)

Thoughts
When God changes a person's heart, we sometimes call it "regeneration". In nature, that's a biological term. In Christian theology, it's a term that refers to the new birth and life in Christ.

Antlered game animals shed their antlers and regenerate a new set each year. As long as they stay healthy and well fed, they usually grow a larger set until the animal is fully mature. In a similar way, God wants us to shed the things we don't need, bad habits, wrong attitudes and other sins in order to give us better things that build Christian character. 

Although we sometimes tend to cling to the old things, that makes no more sense than a deer holding onto its antlers. Something bigger and better is in store for him after he sheds last year's. Something better is in store for us, too. Abiding in Christ enables us to continually replace those habits and attitudes that are not pleasing to God with something new and better. 

As we abide in Christ, the vine, God works to rid us of our old character and develop the fruits of Christlike character in us 
(Steve S)

Action Point
Ask God to point out to you the things that He wants you to shed. Be willing to change; and expect something better to replace those things.
Get into your hunting area as the winter snows melt before Spring green-up and look for antlers that deer have shed. Look in feeding and bedding areas, and the routes between the two. When you find an antler, you know the buck that carried it is likely to be around for another season.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2017 at 07:56
Bible Study Verse
Psalms 51:10-13
Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. Then I will teach transgressors your ways, and sinners will turn back to you. (NIV)

Thoughts
I'm not a great fly tier, but I do enjoy making flies and then catching fish with something I created. The bigger the fly pattern the better for me, I can use a bigger hook and have more material to work with. I like making dragonfly nymphs. They are fairly large and very productive when it comes to fishing. What fish won't eat a dragonfly nymph? I have been successful using them on trout, bass, pan fish, and even bullheads. 

The life cycle of a dragonfly is very interesting. They go from aquatic to terrestrial, not unlike a lot of other insects. Once they hatch from their egg in the water, they are in the nymph stage for a period of time eating those pesky mosquito larvae. When they emerge from the water, they become the colorful adult dragonflies you see patrolling the water's edge.
(Ron T)

Action Point
When we become Christians we go through quite a change as well. We are born again and the old us is gone forever. Our job after we emerge is pretty simple. Mark 16:15 says, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation," (NIV). We all have our own little territory in "all the world" so that's a good place to start. If you're not sure what to say, just keep it simple. You might try, "Jesus changed my life, and he can change yours too." After that, be prepared to share your testimony if the opportunity presents itself.

Sportsmens Tip of the Day
When fly tying nymphs, use a bead head on some of them. The bead has some weight to it, will get the fly down to where the fish live a little faster, and keep it there in the strike zone. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 114115116117118 122>
  Share Topic