The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Library > The BSBookClub
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Books to Read

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2009 at 10:16

Fella's;

I think I 'member's reading the book of Bob, but wasn't it by Bob Goldthwait?  He may have mentioned Romans in there somewhere, but damned if I can 'member it all.  I think I know that I usta was be semi-normal before's I read it anyhow.  Wasn't I?

900F

Birth certificate!? He don't need no steenkink birth certificate!!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2009 at 17:01
I thought the book was by Bob White!
Kingpin View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka Old IronSides

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2009 at 21:01
Still searching for Mark of the grizzlys. Maybe he's in corinthians............Kingpin

Edited by Kingpin
There are times when a normal man must, spit in his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2009 at 21:08

Amazon.com has it KP

LOL

Mark of the Grizzly: True Stories of Recent Bear Attacks and the Hard Lessons Learned

Montana Maddnes View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
AKA Scooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montana Maddnes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2009 at 04:28
Yep thats it. Awsome read! But beware. You may not want to go anywhere near grizzly bear country again with out CB's hand cannon
Montana Maddness
God Bless The U.S.A.
On the Highways for Jesus!
Gunrunner View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
** Forest Grump **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2009 at 12:14

I've always enjoyed reading older books. Some,  I've gotten from my grandparents, who had many books from early in the 20th century.   I used to be a voracious reader, but in the last 10 years or so, I haven't done so well.

The last book I read was "Brave Men" by Ernie Pyle.  My copy is the tenth printing, in 1945. 

In that book there's also a newpaper clipping from that year, telling how Ernie was killed by a Jap machine gun bullet. 

As related by Lt Colonel Joseph Coolidge of Helena, Arkansas.....

"We were moving down the road in our jeep. Ernie was going with me to my new command post. At 10 o'clock we were fired on by a Jap machine gun on a ridge above us. We all jumped out of the jeep into a roadside ditch."

"A little later, Pyle and I raised up to look around. Another burst hit the road over our heads and I fell back into the ditch. I looked at Ernie and saw he had been hit."

"He was killed almost instantly, the bullet entering his left temple just under his helmet."

Another quote....."I was so impressed with Pyle's coolness, calmness, and his deep interest in enlisted men. They have lost their best friend."

I dunno.  The old stuff seems the best to me.  Something about the way it was written. 

I need to do more reading!

Somebody better call the Secret Service. Let 'em know there's an illegal alien in the White House...and it ain't the cook!!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2009 at 17:35
sounds like a good read Reader.  Nice clipping saved.  Might want to pass both to you kids.

Edited by BEAR
Muleskinner View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
AKA The Crotchety ol’ Geezer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muleskinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2009 at 00:22
I'm reading the Book of Mormon, along with one about Hare Krishna.  I'm caught between looking for a 2nd woman, or shaving my head.  As a compromise, I'm thinking of looking for a shaved woman.
Mule
BigAl4604 View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAl4604 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2009 at 06:39

Just finished Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol. Excellent read.  Continuation of the Tom Hanks movie dealing with ancient symbols (mainly Masonic) and being a Mason I found it most interesting.  It also has a great plot and difficult to put down.

As for "older" books the last one I read was from by childhood collection entitled "A Ship Must Die" by Douglas Reeman 1979.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
-Benjamin Franklin, 1759
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2009 at 11:46

I read the book of Mormon about 30 years ago, when I was dating a Mormon.  Also went to Salt lake Temple and the Hill Camora for the pageant. 

Nice girl, unfortunately she left her church and took a bad direction in Chicago.

Muleskinner View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
AKA The Crotchety ol’ Geezer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muleskinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2009 at 07:51
They often come back.  She's probably a mom and doing the normal mormon thing now.  I lived amongst them for a while, and they're good, hard working folks.  The girls have a little trouble growing up with so much exposure to the rest of the world, and being expected to be so different.  My youngest daughter got mixed up with some lost mormon girls and it was a real pain for a while.  When they go rogue, they really do it big.
Mule
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2009 at 08:40

substance abuse, working the streets.  Never go back!

Nice thought, but how you going to keep them down on the farm, after they see broadway?

Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2009 at 00:00

reading opens up new vistas for anyone who choses to do so......reading is the key to everything......

A great author of our time in MHO is Major John L. Plaster, USAR(ret).  Former SOG soldier in Vietnam.  I highly recomend that you all Read "SOG: The secret wars of Americas Commandos in Vietnam" by John L. Plaster and you will learn stuff you never knew about our involvement in the Vietnam war and the valor of so many young Green Berets!  These men were the "Elite Warriors of SOG" as Major Plaster calls them and he should know as he was one of them. Another of his books is "Secret Commandos" Behind enemy lines with the elite warriors of SOG.  A great read also. Major Plaster is also the author of some of the very best books on the modern sniper as well as a sniper instructor of great renown. The man whom the snipers of today to turn to for advice and training.  I have met this man who now lives in Iron River WI which is near my hunting cabin in northern WI.  He also writes for the American Rifleman on occasion. 

A few of the authors that I have liked and read: Corey Ford was a great story teller of my youth, Louie L'Amour...I have and have read most of his books and they are fun fiction, Elmer Keith, Jim Kjelgaard,(Big Red series and others), Gordon McQuarrie: Stories of the Old Duckhunters series, Stephan Amborse, historical stuff, and many many more too numerous to remember and set down here.  I do a lot of reading when I am at my log cabin with my dogs for company.  This past November I spent 24 days during our grouse season (dogs too) and deer season there (no dogs) and passed most evenings reading books, mostly westerns, to pass the time. I must have in excess of 100 books at the cabin at any one time.  Most are "reading" books but many are resource books on hunting and shooting/firearms and reloading......all subjects that are of interest to me. Without electrical power or other amenities at the cabin the reading is done under gas lights with a wood fire to stave off the cold which means my reading is interuped ocasionally to add wood to the firebox.  Alas, I don't have a fireplace just a wood burning stove.   

Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2009 at 01:22

IBD

You should like Burton L. Spiller's books on grouse hunting?  I've read most of his stuff, good read.

Rockydog View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2009 at 09:52
For the Montana guys on here there's a series of historical fiction books written by Ivan Doig. The first or second one is called English Creek, the other is Dancing at the Rascal Fair  the third one, called Bucking the Sun, is the best. The last, Ride with me Mariah Montana, is crap. These books trace one Scottish sheep herding family from establishment of the territory until modern day. "Bucking the Sun" is all about building the Fort Peck dam, the loss of ranches accompanying it, and is a good murder mystery to boot. Doig also wrote an autobiography of his youth in Montana called "This House of Sky". Interesting stuff. RD
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2009 at 21:58

Bear......

I have a copy of "Grouse Feathers" by Burton Spiller circa 1972.  Also, a copy of "New England Grouse Shooting" by William Harnden Foster, circa 1942 an original copy along with "Coverts & Casts" by William J. Schaldach circa 1943 also an original copy.  There is a copy of "The Upland Shooting Life" by George Bird Evans on the shelf too.  There are other good books on the shelf at the log cabin too that I can't recall the titles of or authors at this time.

When I am chasing grouse with my 20ga sxs & my bird dogs I like to think of the times they wrote about in New England of those who so admired the grouse and pursued the grouse with Honor & dogs and it was wing shooting only after a flush.....as it is with me and my dogs.

What do you say of Robert Service, the poet, who wrote about his WWI experiances as well as in the Klondike gold rush days?  Then there is Robert Rourke who wrote great hunting stories, I have some of his reprints and an original copy of "Use Enough Gun".  So many good books and so short a life time to read them all. 

Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2009 at 22:02
Hey Bear.......I am leaving today for the log cabin with my dogs to chase grouse in the cold and snow for 2 days.  Brrr....but it's great to spend that time outdoors in pursuit of grouse with my "girls"....Molly and Reba.  Even better to come back to a warm cabin and hot drink to comtemplate the hunt AND to keep in line with this thread........read a good book! 

Edited by Irish Bird Dog
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
Rockydog View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2009 at 22:37
IBD, Good luck. I don't think I could get to the cabin here today without a snowmobile. RD
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2009 at 02:11
well, it's ok so far..hardly any snow yet....I do have a set of chains in the box just in case it turns on me.....also shovels, a hi-lift jack and a come-a-long and lots of chains.....and a cell phone!  Leaving in a few minutes, it's about 120 miles north in Bayfield Co north of USH 2.
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2009 at 02:51

Year ago in the 1960s I use to work on the pulp/papper and mining industries.  Lived in Appleton for a while.  And that meant spending lots of time in places like Rhinelander, Houghton, Escanaba,  Marinette,   Iron Mountain and Menominee.  Nice country, and nice local people.   I’ve not been back since 1970, bet it changed!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic