The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Birds and Bird Dogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Dove decoys (didn’t help)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dove decoys (didn’t help)
    Posted: 10 September 2009 at 10:06
Well I made some great looking decoys. I went out Wednesday to try them , they didn't help at all. I still can't hit'm  . They did seem to bring in a lot of birds to shoot AT.Now I have one moor thing to spend my money on, Shells!!!! 

Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2009 at 20:24

Dekes look good on the T bar.

Hitting is remembering to keep swinging, keep your head down on the stock, and keep the bird blotted out by the barrel....no peeking to see the hit.

Shells are important..lots of shells.

I should mention looking at your pics......hitting can be the easy part of dove hunting compared to FINDING dead birds (without a dog).  The doves seem to blend in with every type and color of cover.  I've folded birds stone dead and thought I marked the down spot , only to spend 30 minutes and not find the bird.  When I hunt with another hunter we both spot each others dropped birds.

I immediately go to pick up dropped birds in any cover more than 1 inch deep.  Actually walking into pick up birds doesn't seem to scare of the remaining fliers.  I often shoot a second incoming bird when walking back after a human retrieve.

Boy, doves are fun.

We don't seem to have any doves this year, I'm hopping a cold snap might bring some down.

d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2009 at 21:30

Originally posted by BEAR BEAR wrote:

Boy, doves are fun.We don't seem to have any doves this year, I'm hopping a cold snap might bring some down.

In a day or so we will probably be sending a few down . Our real season only last a week or two then we get a freeze and there all gone. The set season runs from 9/1 to 1/1.Yes I have alway hunted with out a dog. A almost dead Pheasant is the hardest to find.I try to use as big of shells as I can so there is a trail of feathers to help find the bird.

Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2009 at 22:19

I got a double barrel 10 ga mag...but I can't swing it fast enough for ducks much less doves.  Good for those 80 yard tom turkeys in the springWink.

Ever hunt ruffed grouse in  an autumn hardwoods?  color leaves everywhere..you find him when you feel something under your foot move...hopefully not a rattler??????

good shooting

d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2009 at 05:30
No hardwood here either but I have hunted Ruffed grouse, fast little buggers.
GOT14U View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GOT14U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 02:40

to much work for not much pay-off. Dove hunting that is.

but I do luv shooting a lot. And with your decoy it sounds like you will get the hitting them down sooner then later.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 03:31
When the birds are "in".  the shooting is the best hunting sport around.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic