The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Birds and Bird Dogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

What The ?? In Montana ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Montana Maddnes View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
AKA Scooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montana Maddnes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What The ?? In Montana ??
    Posted: 28 May 2009 at 06:20

Now sharptails! MMMmmmmmmmm yummy!

MM

Montana Maddness
God Bless The U.S.A.
On the Highways for Jesus!
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2009 at 07:48
yup sage hens suck to eat
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
AKA Scooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montana Maddnes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2009 at 06:28

Sage are fun to shoot cause they are so big, but I really don't like eating them either. Shoe leather might be more palitable.

MM

Montana Maddness
God Bless The U.S.A.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2009 at 12:48

The wild ones, we ran across were right up in rimrocks with MD.  Being how this one was down in Hun territory, made me think released bird.  I think the Huns are the best tasting, then Sharpies, followed by Pheasant.  I think the sages can just be left for someone else.

Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
AKA Scooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montana Maddnes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2009 at 10:27

Yes indeed they are one of my favorite birds to shoot. Fast and fun! When you are hunting wild chukers as I did mostly ones and twos, but once in a while you would get a flock up.

Hungariens come in a close second for me. They are just so unpridicable. Dog goes on point, You walk up and bang birds going every which way. Man gets the heart pumping just thinking about it.

MM

Montana Maddness
God Bless The U.S.A.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2009 at 09:37
Chuker.   I shoot a lot of them, usually a "preserve bird".  Hold tight.  Singles are gimmies.  But if you bust a flock, madness birds everywhere.  I got 4 out of one flush usning a 870 20 guage pump gun.  Got it on video.
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
AKA Scooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montana Maddnes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2009 at 07:56

I know that the guy that used to have a bird farm out side of Ft. Benton raised chuker as well as Hun's and Phesants. No doubt there are still chuker out that way to.

And yes that is a chuker. Have hunted a lot of them as a kid in Idaho. Dad still has a beautiful stuffed one in his house. Thy are fun to hunt. Fast little things.

MM

Edited by Montana Maddnes
Montana Maddness
God Bless The U.S.A.
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2009 at 13:51

Someone probably turned it loose, on some shooting club near there.  I've run across them north of Red Lodge and near Broadus, while hunting MD with my daughter, eight, nine years ago.  They aren't native, but you can shoot them in carbon county, I found out later.

http://fieldguide.mt.gov/detail_ABNLC03010.aspx

Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2009 at 11:04

that would be my guess - a chukar. but i didn't think they lived here.

migrating, perhaps?

TasunkaWitko - Chinook, Montana

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2009 at 10:36

What the heck is this ?? It looks like to be some kind of Chucker ?? I saw them North of Great Falls ?

Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic