The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The CoffeeCorner > Keeping the Faith
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Topic ClosedDaily Sportsmen’s Devotional

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 20>
Author
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2009 at 00:46
$Account.OrganizationName
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen February 19, 2009
Today's Photograph.... Quiet Water (Cliff S)

Bible Study Verse
Psalms 23:2
"He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me besides quiet waters." (NASB)

Thoughts
What is it that really draws us to the outdoors? I'm sure there are a multitude of reasons depending on who you talk to. For me, I long for a sense of serenity. I have always longed for that. When I'm by a babbling brook or high on a majestic mountaintop, that is where I experience a rare peace and a comfort that I usually don't find during the everyday grind. (Tom H.)

Action Point
Over the years I have been blessed with many great insights from christian writers and speakers. One theme I have seen repeated is that of security and significance. Maybe the Lord is trying to tell me something. Here's what I think it is. It's that, my longing for serenity really is a deep heartfelt need for the intimacy of a secure and meaningful relationship with the Lord. The bottom line is that He truly is the only source for my need. Find peace in the outdoors, but find a greater, more satisfing peace seriously relating to Jesus.

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
If you have an old thin foam backpacking pad that you can spare, cut a section of it off about 18" long. It can be used as a pad to sit on in the woods or by a stream or for landscaping when I need to kneel down to lay rocks or other materials.

God,Mother,Country,and Hot Rods. Done with political crap.LOL
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2009 at 02:25
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen February 20, 2009
Today's Photograph.... Dense View (MQ)

Bible Study Verse
Psalm 95:6-7
Come, let us worship and bow down. Let us kneel before the Lord our maker, for he is our God. We are the people he watches over, the flock under his care. If only you would listen to his voice today! (NLT)

Thoughts
I recall fond memories when I hunted whitetail in Minnesota. Vivid were those crisp, cold opening day mornings waiting for that first light on the eastern horizon. Due to the dense brush, my first indication of wildlife was not visible, but the sound of the crunching snow or the dry fallen leaves of fall. Excitement increased with the anticipation of the approaching deer coming my way. Often times it was a grey squirrel scurrying from tree to tree, once it was a pine martin looking for a small rodent around the dead falls, and another time it was a ruffed grouse walking down a deer trail with a coyote tracking 30 feet behind. My fondest memory was a very still morning when I heard the periodic footsteps of what seemed to be a deer. He chose the deer trail I was on and finally came into view. My heart was pounding! I shot my 30-30 and bagged my first whitetail buck. (Tom L.)

Action Point
Just as listening to the sounds of wildlife is important to having success in hunting; listening to God during meditation enables us to experience a personal relationship with God. In the book, How To Develop a Powerful Prayer Life, Dr. Frizzell says, "I even go so far to say that listening to God is the fundamental key to an effective prayer life. Prayer is our discovering what God wants to do and joining him as co-laborers though our prayers. Through meditating you learn to hear God's leading and thus your prayers initiate from His heart and mind."

When the snow or leaves are crunchy, allow yourself extra time to get to your stand. Always travel in the dark walking slowly and carefully.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2009 at 23:44
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen February 21, 2009
Today's Photograph.... Sonoran Desert (MQ)

Bible Study Verse
Psalm 42:1
As the deer pants for the water brooks, So my soul pants for You, O God. (NASB)

Thoughts
As a teenager I stayed hunting in the field much longer than planned. I had walked a lot further in the Sonoran desert than I had wanted to. I got so dehydrated that my legs started to cramp and my tongue was literally sticking to the roof of my mouth. Finally, I came across a small barrel cactus and plunged my knife in again and again. For two hours I sat sucking moisture from cactus sections. It was God's provision for a thirsty, foolish body. (Randy E)

Action Point
There have been times in my walk with the Lord, I have become spiritually dry and very weak. Always I have wandered further away than I ever intended to go and have stayed longer than I realized. Finally, "dry, thirsty, and very weak", I cried out to the Lord for relief. He quenched my thirst with Himself. He is the only provision for a dry and foolish soul or for a quenched and wise soul!

Always carry more water than you "think" you will need! Try the hydrators that ride on your back with a tube and a mouthpiece for hands free use.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2009 at 23:47
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen February 22, 2009
Today's Photograph.... Arizona Sunset (Bobby W).

Bible Study Verse
Matt.5:13a
"Let me tell you why you are here. You're here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. (MSG)

Thoughts
Here's another way to put it, "You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in this world. God is no secret to be kept."

When I think back to my years growing up, I was most attracted to men like you reading this article. Sportsmen, hunters, adventurers, cowboys that rode rodeo & risked their lives, and especially if they had wall mounts of their conquests. My Christian parents worried that their maverick, rebel, and renegade ways would influence me away from Christianity, but they didn't. Instead they opened my eyes to the God-colors of this big beautiful world and encouraged me to explore and to expand my horizons to discover all that God made available to us as men. (Wes W.)

Action Point
Most of us are dads, grandpas, uncles, employers, guides, husbands, and friends. There're young men watching and looking for a hero. You may not think you have much of a christian testimony, but hero you do have an audience. Be "the Man", be courageous, live the adventure, fight the battle, and win your beauty. Get the book Wild at Heart by John Eldridge; it will get you started.

Ever since my wife bought me this little point and shoot camera that fits in my shirt pocket, I've been noticing God-colors everywhere, God-flavors that I use to not notice.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2009 at 23:52
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen February 23, 2009
Today's Photograph.... My Reward (Terry B)

Bible Study Verse
Romans 5:3-8
Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us. You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. (TNIV)

Thoughts
This fall held one the most challenging trips we had taken. Nothing was going right. The weather was nightmarish, the deer weren't moving like expected, and we had tried various locations while moving to three different motels. We weren't seeing hardly any deer, let alone the big ones we had gone there for. Yet at any point the rut could change, so we kept getting up at 5 in the morning and hunting the whole day. Finally after six days, someone flipped the switch. I harvested a really nice 10 point.

I'm sure you can think of challenging times you have had in the field or on the water. You wanted to give up, yet kept at it, and your perseverance was rewarded. Sometimes in life we want to give up due to circumstances, yet we are reminded of all Jesus has done for us. We have something to hope for, no matter what is happening at the current time. (Ross G)

Action Point
Putting your faith and trust in Jesus is easy to do when things are going well. Use the challenging times to develop your character and to remember the love Jesus has for you. It's the tough times that will strengthened your faith in Him.

Have a back up plan. On this trip, we had several. Sometimes when things aren't going like you hoped, having other options will be enough to keep your spirits up. Planning for the unexpected can keep you in the field instead of encouraging you to head home.

Montana Maddnes View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
AKA Scooter

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2009 at 04:57

Have a back up plan. On this trip, we had several. Sometimes when things aren't going like you hoped, having other options will be enough to keep your spirits up. Planning for the unexpected can keep you in the field instead of encouraging you to head home

How true that is! Pocket bible helps to. When things get slow sit and read Gods word for a while. It will build you up and keep you occupied at the same time. Something wonderfull about sitting in Gods creation reading his word. At least for me.

MM

Montana Maddness
God Bless The U.S.A.
On the Highways for Jesus!
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2009 at 23:50
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen February 24, 2009
Today's Photograph.... Always a Trophy in God's Eyes (Will D)

Bible Study Verse
1 Samuel 16:7
But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."(NIV)

Thoughts
Conservation groups maintain and record the detailed measurements and weights of world record harvests. They specify the scoring criteria and stipulate rules and regulations on the game we pursue. While some of us only chase world records, most realize that taking a record fish or animal is merely a byproduct from the challenge of the pursuit. Nevertheless, we adhere to those specific rules and guidelines set before us; a system by which we recognize as an ethical benchmark of success in the field. (Will D)

Action Point
The world's system used to record man's earthly successes is a bit different. Its criterion measures things like the size of our house, our bank account, or the kind of vehicle we drive - usually without regard of rules, ethics, or fair chase. God doesn't use that system. His is a Heavenly one. Only the heart is measured. He keeps no record of where it's been nor what it's said, thought, or done. His standard begins with and relies on simple faith, one found in and through His son Jesus Christ. Are you His world record trophy?

There are many groups that promote game conservation and seek the best for our resources. Investigate them carefully. Make sure they carry out what they sell and promote. Support the ones that do.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2009 at 03:44
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen February 25, 2009
Today's Photograph.... AZ Poppies (MQ)

Bible Study Verse
Titus 2:11-14
For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope-the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good. (NIV)

Ash Wednesday, First Day of Lent

Thoughts
There's an old saying that my Dad used to quote whenever we were preparing for a hunting trip. It went like this: "Anticipation is ninety percent of participation." Dad's point was that the actual preparation for the trip was a large part of the pleasure of the hunting experience. My son and I have proved this point on every trip we've gone on, be it hunting, camping, skiing, or scuba diving. Getting ready for the trip is almost a sacred part of the overall experience and is a bunch of fun! We as outdoors folks also understand that preparation for an outing often means setting things aside for a while and maybe doing without some things for a while. For example, we may have to save a little money here and there to pay for tags, ammo, and gas for a trip. We may not eat some of our favorite foods (McDonald's fries) in order to take off a few pounds and to be able to climb those hills a little easier. We may even climb on an exercise bike for a few weeks to get the lungs and the legs in shape for the exertion that will be involved with the particular activity. While we may not relish the sacrifices that we're making, we know that what we are doing will make the actual trip more enjoyable. (Cliff S)

Action Point
Lent is a season where we as Christians are challenged to offer something to God in order to remind us of His gift to us, our salvation. Make no mistake; we aren't doing anything here to earn our salvation, that's purely a function of the grace of God. But, what we do during this season should remind us of how much God loves us and what Jesus did for us when He died on the cross. A good friend shared with me that whatever she "gives up" for Lent serves as a reminder of Jesus' love during this time of year. The way she put it, every time she thought about doing whatever it was she gave up for forty days, it served to remind her that Jesus loves her. I would add a suggestion, if you participate in Lent, whenever you are thinking about what you've sacrificed for those forty days, let it not only remind you of Jesus' love, but also let it serve as a reminder to pray for somebody that needs God's gift of salvation.

When you're preparing for a trip, make a list of the various things you'll need. I make four columns: camping equipment, hunting equipment, clothes, and food. After each item is placed in the pile in the living room it gets a check by it. When it's in the truck, it gets a second check. That way I know not only that I have the item, but that it is in the truck.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2009 at 03:34
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen February 26, 2009
Today's Photograph.... Eagerly Awaiting His Return (MQ)

Bible Study Verse
Luke 21:34-36
"But be on your guard. Don't let the sharp edge of your expectation get dulled by parties and drinking and shopping. Otherwise, that day is going to take you by complete surprise, spring on you suddenly like a trap, for it's going to come on everyone, everywhere, at once. So, whatever you do, don't go to sleep at the switch. Pray constantly that you will have the strength and wits to make it through everything that's coming and end up on your feet before the Son of Man." (MSG)

Thoughts
I had been sitting near the water tank for a few hours, with a cow elk tag in my backpack. Nothing had come in and darkness was near. As I grew tired and my senses seemed to dull, I suddenly detected the unmistakable smell of elk. It hit me in the face like a Mike Tyson upper cut, but I could see nothing. For several minutes I searched the areas in my line of vision, nothing in front of me and nothing to the sides of me; it must be behind me I thought. After fifteen minutes of waiting and the sun setting, I decided I needed to turn to see if it was behind me, even at the risk of alerting it to my presence. Slowly I turned and there it was, a large bull elk standing 20 feet behind at the edge of the tree line. Fortunately he hadn't seen me. For the next twenty minutes he stood motionless. With an extreme amount of patience and diligence, he slowly scanned the area for danger. His head moved so slow as to be undetectable, until I noticed his antlers where now facing a different direction. He continued this for the better part of an hour and well into the darkness. (Brett M)

Action Point
Jesus tells us to look at the fig tree. When the leaves begin to change colors we know that the season is beginning to change. He says that we will be able to recognize the season of His return in the same way. We will not know the day or time, but we will know the season. Many of the signs He tells us to look for are all around us. Many believe we are in the season of the end times. Whether we are or not, Jesus instructs us to be watchful. We are to be like that elk and diligently watch out for the signs and dangers, to "look to the heavens" for His return. Many of us have seen the surprise when an animal steps into our line of sight during hunting season. Do not let that day take you by "complete surprise".

During rain or snowy weather place a small piece of black electrical tape over the tip of your muzzle. It will keep the moisture out of your barrel and will easily give way when you take your shot.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2009 at 22:34
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen February 27, 2009
Today's Photograph.... Sink Holes of the Marsh (NPS)

Bible Study Verse
Matthew 7:25
The rain fell, the rivers rose, and the winds blew and pounded that house. Yet, it didn't collapse, because its foundation was on the rock. (HCSB)

Thoughts
The January retreat in Rockport, TX, was an outreach ministry aimed at introducing the Word of God to men who might not make it to church, but surely would not miss a duck hunting trip. The next morning the invited speaker hunted with the event leader and the pastor of the sponsoring church. The bay flat the group planned to hunt was surrounded by some pretty mucky stuff. A quagmire would be a better term. The speaker waded off in a hole trying to retreive decoys and sunk to his chest in mud. The pastor was beside himself, worried that the speaker would sink past his head. I laughed; I had been in this predicament many times in my younger days. Short story - they tied a rope to me and pulled me out. (Bink G)

Action Point
After the pastor settled down and realized I would be alright, I assured him that my sinking would make a good devotional.

My experience brought to mind the hymn, The Solid Rock, that I have sung countless times:

On Christ the solid rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand.
All other ground is sinking sand.
Edward Mote (1797-1874)

Just like a house built on a firm foundation that stands the test of times through wind, rain, and hurricanes, our lives stand firm on the solid foundation of Jesus. All other ground is sinking sand

Stocking foot waders with separate wading boots work better in the mud than boot foot waders.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2009 at 22:48
A Daily Study of God’s Word for Christian Sportsmen February 28, 2009

Today’s Photograph…. Skunk in the Woods (NPS)

Bible Study Verse
II Corinthians 2:16
To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life. And who is equal to such a task?
II Corinthians 2:14
But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him. (NIV)

Thoughts
Stink does not begin to describe it! Abbi, my German Shorthair pointer, had pointed to the wrong thing. Seems like bird dogs are drawn with fateful determination to skunks that sometimes hide under the grass and in some out of the way places. This one gave her the whole load of his defensive ability. She was hit squarely in the mouth. She was pitiful. She slobbered profusely, shook her head repeatedly, and walked around in a dazed condition. The sad thing is that it was not the first time. This instant replay has been repeated over and over through the years. She seems never to learn that the alluring smell will end in dreadful consequences of pain and discomfort. (Jackie M)

Action Point
The sharing of the gospel is described as a smell or a fragrance in the passages above. It portrays the response of others to the good news of immortality that is available in Jesus Christ. Because they oppose Christ, some people consider the smell of our witness as offensive as a decaying body. Some people smell eternal life! We are to spread the fragrant smell of eternal life in Jesus Christ. Let’s use our fishing, hunting, and other outdoor activities to spread Christ to our friends. Some will hear and receive the gift of eternal life. They will choose to spend eternity with us and with the Lord.

Sportsmen’s Tip of the Day
Scents are a valuable tool for today’s hunters. Learning when and how to use them can multiply the chances of success afield. Whether stink baits for catfish, attractants for deer, or the odors used to attract animals for other reasons, the use and expense of scents often determines success or failure.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2009 at 22:24
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen March 1, 2009
Today's Photograph.... Beautiful Southern Forest (MQ)

Bible Study Verse
Psalm 46:10a
Be still, and know that I am God; (NKJV)

Thoughts
I was sitting quietly in my tree stand as the light rain began to fall. The gentle tapping on the leaves was relaxing. The fact that I had already taken a nice 10 point the previous day added to the relaxation that I was enjoying. I sat there just talking to God quietly, watching deer, and listening to the gentle rain for the entire afternoon. As dark began to fall I mumbled softly to myself, "Why can't this relaxed feeling continue on and on? Why do I feel so much closer to God out here in the woods?" (Brian H.)

Action Point
The answer to my question is this: I feel closer to God out in the woods because I'm being still and quiet. That's it! When I'm at home or at work, I have the television blaring or the radio on or people chatting nearby. The fact is that we have made our world very complicated and noisy. Only when we get out by ourselves, get quiet, and become still are we able to just sit and know that He is God. Try scheduling some time to yourself whether it's out hunting or just sitting on the porch with a cup of coffee. Get rid of the distractions for a little while. Take some time to be still and remember that our God, He is truly God.

Here's a twist on deer steaks. Roll a small chunk of cheddar cheese and a jalapeno slice inside a butterfly cut steak and toothpick together with bacon wrapped around the outside. Cook slowly on the charcoal pit until the bacon is done. Delicious!

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2009 at 02:10
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen March 2, 2009
Today's Photograph....Ground Hornet (Byron FS)

Bible Study Verse
I Corinthians 6:18
Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a man commits are outside his body, but he who sins sexually sins against his own body. (NIV)

Thoughts
Flee, get out of there! Run! My wife hollered at me as the hornets swarmed up out of the ground. We were out on a ride, enjoying the beautiful fall colors on a back country trail when her horse stepped too close to a nest of hornets. I was behind and even though I saw them beginning to swarm I was unable to get Tuni to move as fast as I would like. We had a rodeo for a few moments but I managed to hang on for the 8 seconds and finally got away, unscathed, and neither of us stung. (Byron FS)

Action Point
Sin, like hornets can swarm up suddenly and overwhelm us. It is surprising how quickly desire can turn to sin. Jesus knows that and tells us "Flee," "Run," "Don't Tarry," but get away from there as quickly as you can. When the desire strikes, stop, voice a short quick prayer, and ask Him to intervene. "Dear Lord, I need help right now, I am too weak to stand up to the Devil. I ask you to stand between me and him and drive these thoughts from my mind." It is amazing how this will help you flee the situation and move on to something more productive.

We love to ride in the fall, but have to stay on guard in our country for ground hornets, also called meat bees. They have a nasty temperament this time of year. Carry a small bottle of ammonia in your first aid kit. This works very well on stings to relieve the pain. If you are allergic to bee stings, be sure you have your sting kit along and be sure it's not outdated.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2009 at 01:58
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen March 3, 2009
Today's Photograph.... Petroglyphs (Bobby W)

Bible Study Verse
I Kings 3:14
"And if you stay on course, keeping your eye on the life-map and the God-signs as your father David did, I'll also give you long life." (MSG)

Thoughts
The above desert bighorn sheep petroglyph is high on a mountain by some natural water collecting rock holes, similar to a bath tub. I just reasoned from those long ago signs that some Indian while waiting to ambush supper when the sheep came to water, would hide under cover while drawing on the rocks. I put that in my memory bank in case I ever want to hunt one. Thanks for the sign fellow hunter. (Wes W)

Action Point
This was God's promise to Solomon. Instead of asking God for riches, honor, and long life, he asked for a discerning and God-listening heart. Now as a man a few thousand years later I can grasp that, reason it, and apply it to my life today. I will follow the God-signs.

Signs are all around us, buck rubs, tracks in the dirt, arrow heads, claw marks on trees, petroglyphs, ruins, wallows, signs of a past forest fire, and signs of the past flood. Keep your eye on the signs.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2009 at 23:53
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen March 4, 2009
Today's Photograph. . . . Mahi-Mahi (Will D)

Bible Study Verse
Luke 8:14-15
The seed that fell among thorns stands for those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life's worries, riches and pleasures, and they do not mature. But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop. (NIV)

Thoughts
The lifespan of a Mahi- Mahi, Dorado, is only about 3 years. Needless to say, they have remarkable growth rates. In fact, scientists believe it is possible for them to grow as fast as three inches per week. To do so, they cannot simply wait for meals to approach - survival and this rapid growth rate depends on their ability to devour food with speed and aggression. It is this acumen that makes them such a remarkable and acrobatic game fish.

In the parable of sower, Jesus tells us what can hinder our spiritual growth - distractions that keep you and me from being remarkable Christians. The "thorns" that existed over 2000 years ago are still present today dubiously distracting us from spiritual growth. (Will D)

Action Point
Avoid life's thorns by devouring God's word with speed and aggression. Consume His word daily; retain, and apply it to your daily life. Plant yourself in good soil by refusing to allow the thorns of this world to distract you. In doing so, you will become the person God has created you to be.

When fishing the oceans for pelagic species, always scan the horizon for debris or Sargasso patches. Fish them. Recently I saw a bright green kid's pool floating that had drifted miles offshore. I didn't give it much thought until a few days later a friend called with excitement over a blue marlin he'd caught under it.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 23:49
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen March 5, 2009
Today's Photograph.... A Glimpse of the Beautiful South (MQ)

Bible Study Verse
Romans 12:2
Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-- his good, pleasing and perfect will. (NIV)

Thoughts
Habitat in Georgia is quite different from Minnesota I discovered while whitetail deer hunting. Northern Minnesota forests provide dogwood shrubs, willow, alder, ironwood, white birch, red and white oak, aspen, several species of conifers, and a few agricultural fields. Georgia varies with live oak, hickory, magnolias, holly, pine, various trees draped in Spanish moss, and scattered peanut and cotton fields. The temperature varies about 40 degrees. I realized how far from home I was when a lizard scurried across the rail of my tree stand. Although, we didn't see any, we were warned about the alligators, snakes, and wild pigs. Amazing is the whitetail's adaptability in thriving from Canada all the way south to Mexico. The South blessed us with southern hospitality, great Christian fellowship, two bucks, and two does.(Tom L)

Action Point
It is my prayer that we adapt our lives to the leading of the Holy Spirit by using our gifts in serving God. Let us not sit on the sidelines and conform to this world, but be transformed by following God's direction in our lives.

When hunting some of the southern states in December and January, be prepared for a broad range of temperatures--ranging from 30-75 degrees and very wet, stormy conditions.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2009 at 23:48
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen March 6, 2009
Today's Photograph.... Severe Storm Clearing (MQ)

Bible Study Verse
Psalms 71:3
Be my rock of refuge, to which I can always go; give the command to save me, for you are my rock and my fortress. (NIV)

Thoughts
On a recent fishing trip to Manitoba, we hit severe weather. The wind blew and the waves crashed against the shore. With dim lights and small beds the old, remote outpost cabin hardly provided a refuge from the storm. The walls creaked and glass from an old door shattered. The three friends, who sat around the table that day, exchanged life stories and experiences. The long day became short and our prayers were answered. The setting sun shone through the clouds and we survived the day thanking God for the time we had spent together. (Jim C)

Action Point
We have all had those days where we need to be rescued. Stress, anxiety, and depression seem to grab hold of us and never let's go. The outdoors has always been my OUT and my IN. It's been my OUT for relief, a time of reflection, a time to take a deep breath, and a time to talk with God. Even if you have to take a short walk away, down a trail, out behind your house to look up at the sky, to see the trees, to hear the wind blow, or see the sun set. It can be your out. The short time away can be you're IN with God. Look up to the sky or toward the setting sun and ask God to help you. You will be amazed at the results.

On any adventure into the wilderness, it is always a good idea to known how to pack and to prepare for the terrain and the weather you could encounter. Always think, what if? Educate yourself on where you are going and the possibilities that could occur. You will be better off for it.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2009 at 03:33
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen March 7, 2009
Today's Photograph.... View From the Bow (Cliff S)

Bible Study Verse
Matthew 14:31
Immediately Jesus reached out His hand, caught hold of him, and said to him, "You of little faith, why did you doubt?" (HCSB)

Thoughts
Peter climbed out of the boat and began walking toward Jesus. Then the wind blew hard and his mind began to wonder and doubt. He began to sink and asked the Lord to save him. Of course, the Master of the Sea reached for Peter and saved him, then asked why he doubted. (Bink G)

Action Point
The hard part for me would have been getting out of the boat. Can you imagine what people would say today if you stepped off the bow of your boat and tried to walk on water? Why does it take miraculous signs and wonders for us to believe in the omnipotent power of Jesus Christ? He is the same yesterday, today, and forever! If He tells you to walk on water, don't hesitate - get your feet wet!

When someone steps on your boat, make sure you tell them where the life jackets are stored, just in case.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2009 at 06:11
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen March 8, 2009
Today's Photograph: . . .Game Warden at Work (NJW)

Bible Study Verse
Genesis 3:12
The man said, "The woman you put here with me - she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it." (NIV)

Thoughts
Boy, does this verse trigger thoughts. Do you remember saying something like this to your parents, a teacher, or maybe to a Game Warden? "My hunting partner told me to do it, he said it was OK." Kind of sounds like Flip Wilson's famous statement, "The devil made me do it!" Yep, good old Adam invented the oldest line ever used to shift blame to someone else for his own actions. First he tried to lay the blame at God's feet for putting the woman there, and then he blamed the woman. Wait a minute, who did God give the command to? Right again, it was given to Adam. Genesis 2:16-17 reflects, "And the Lord God commanded the man, 'You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die' (NIV)." Adam should have known better than to have eaten the fruit of the forbidden tree, but he went along with the crowd, so to speak. He did something dumb and then tried to blame everybody else for what he did. (Cliff S)

Action Point
Take responsibility for your actions, good or bad. In the long run it will serve you better to admit your mistake(s) than to try to cover them up or to blame somebody else for what you did. Remember, your sins will find you out!

Review the regulations for where you are going to be hunting or fishing and follow them. The Officer that checks you will appreciate your being familiar with game and fish laws and obeying them.
camping
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2009 at 21:40
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen March 9, 2009
Today's Photograph.... Quad Riding Christain Men (MQ)

Bible Study Verse
I Timothy 3:7
Moreover he must have a good testimony among those who are outside, lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil. (NKJV)

Thoughts
Although the verse above is aimed at the qualifications for an overseer in the church, it really goes for all believers. When we're involved in Christian fellowship, we can lean on each other for help and encouragement. When we are among others on the "outside," that is outside a community of believers, we become more vulnerable to the tactics of the devil because we are removed from the security provided by Christian fellowship. A good personal testimony is important in keeping us focused on the things of God. It's like trapping, which of course, is done outside. Satan likes to trap men outside the family of God. Christians must be wary because Satan will use every lure and attractant at his disposal to catch us. A good, consistent testimony overcome the tricks of the devil. (Don H)

Action Point
Surround yourself with Christian friends. Regularly attend the church of your choice. Take the family to Christian events. Participate in a Bible study or even start a Bible study group on your own. Join Christian-based outdoor sports organizations. Use every way you can find to stay involved with other believers. It's dangerous outside of Christian fellowship. If you are not a Christian, become a child of the King now by asking Jesus to forgive you of your sins and then confessing Him as Lord of your life. Then, begin to hang out with Christian friends! Don't be trapped by the devil!

A piece of thick plastic bolted to an old ironing board makes an ideal butcher or food prep table. It can be folded up and stored easily, even hung out of the way. The plastic can be form-cut from an old office chair floor mat or other heavy plastic item. It's easily sterilized with clorox or alcohol before placing food on it. Used ironing boards can be found at thrift stores, usually for a bargain. I use one for all butchering, filleting, and other food prep chores.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 20>
  Share Topic