The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The CoffeeCorner > Keeping the Faith
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Topic ClosedDaily Sportsmen’s Devotional

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 20>
Author
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2009 at 02:14
$Account.OrganizationName
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen February 3, 2009
Today's Photograph....Beautiful, Snowy River (RL).

Bible Study Verse
I Timothy 3:16-17
All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. (NKJV)

Thoughts
Outdoorsmen know the importance of a properly equipped camp. If we have good equipment and the right equipment, we will have a great experience. But if we have bad equipment or the wrong equipment, we can be miserable and frustrated the entire the time. Camp with confidence with your equipment by testing before you use it, correcting that which is faulty, and practicing good camp safety and hygiene. (Don A. H.)

Action Point
Our Christian walk also needs to be well equipped. That comes by spending time in God's Word, knowing that it is inspired by the Holy Spirit, and believing that it is perfect, holy, and true. With it, we can establish truth, correct those who depart from the faith, and instruct each other in righteous and holy ways. This is how we are completely prepared for the good work we must accomplish for the kingdom.

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
Carry extra batteries for your camera, flashlight, or other electronic devices, but don't carry the batteries loose. You can make small, neat carriers out of duct tape, perfectly sized to the number and style of extra batteries that you need. The one I made holds three AAA batteries with a flap that folds over and tucks in like an envelope. I got this idea from watching boys make duct tape wallets at a boy's camp. Some of the boys I know still carry their wallets, even a couple of years later!

We share your passion for God and
God,Mother,Country,and Hot Rods. Done with political crap.LOL
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2009 at 23:46
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen February 4, 2009
Today's Photograph....Traditional Archery (MQ).

Bible Study Verse
Romans 3:23
For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, (NIV)
Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. (NIV)

Thoughts
Practice! Practice! Practice! Practice makes perfect. Or more accurately said, "proper practice makes perfect". If we practice with the wrong equipment or with the wrong mechanics, then our practice will only decrease our proficiency. Archery is a fast growing sport and is being embraced by more and more hunters. Additional skills and disciplines are required of the archery hunter. Two are to wait on the proper shot that will ensure a humane kill and to practice before the season so you are ready, confident, and proficient when the shot presents. (Jackie M.)

Action Point
Archery gives us a perfect picture to understand sin. Sin is missing God's bulls eye of holiness. No mere human can ever do enough or practice enough to hit that mark. God's bulls eye is absolute holiness, complete perfection. But there is a Champion who has hit that mark. His name is Jesus. He completed every requirement that God had established. He fulfilled the whole law of God, hitting the mark dead center! He did it perfectly. He died on the Cross to pay the sin penalty of death for all humans. That payment is available to all who will by faith receive Him and His work for their own sin. His resurrection proves that God accepted His work upon the cross. He paid the price so every person might be saved or forgiven of their sin. Have you by faith accepted this gift of forgiveness and eternal life? If not, right now put your faith in Jesus Christ. Believe and be saved!

Click on the link below to find the prayer that you can pray to invite Jesus Christ into your life.

http://www.sportsmensdevotional.com/prayer.htm

Make sure your bow is sighted in properly. Carrying it in a hard shell case can protect the sights. After travel, it is always advised to confirm the accuracy of your weapon before hunting. Trips in vehicles, poor handlers, and bumps in the road can knock the best sight out of adjustment.

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2009 at 05:08
romans 3:23 was the first bible verse that i ever memorized when i was in 1st or 2nd grade.
TasunkaWitko - Chinook, Montana

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2009 at 23:57
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen February 5, 2009
Today's Photograph.... Geese (MQ).

Bible Study Verse
PSALM 19:1 The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. (NIV)

Thoughts
Yesterday while goose hunting the morning started off with a beautiful sunrise. The sky was full of pink, blue, and white colors. God was painting the skies to proclaim the work of his hands. Maybe you fall in the same trap that I do. That is you sometimes forget that the beauty of the hunt or the fishing trip and the people you are with is the adventure. You end up concentrating on the harvest. I do not like when I do that because on a less than successful day, you rob yourself of the personal experience you should have enjoyed with the other people involved. The outdoors is still about the experience and the individuals involved. This devotional is to tell you that if this has happened to you, you are not alone. You will have good days and bad days in the field and on the water. What you learn, experience, and who you spend that time with is the important thing. (Jim C.)

Action Point
As I sit here today thinking over yesterday, I try to focus on what I learned and not why I missed some easy shots. I also remember the 3 guys I shared the blind with and how much fun they were to get to know. All of them were great sportsmen with a pure enthusiasm for the sport of goose hunting. It truly was a good day and I pray that the Lord lets me enjoy a lot more of them.

On extremely windy days, the geese can be really weary once they get close to the decoys. Total concealment and single honks can get some of those birds to come in. Also be aware of birds flying only several feet off the ground, they can come in fast and silent trying to avoid the wind. Be watchful and ready!

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2009 at 23:57
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen February 6, 2009
Today's Photograph....Lower Falls in Yellowstone National Park (NPS).

Bible Study Verse
Revelation 19:6
And I heard, as it were, the voice of a great multitude, as the sound of many waters and as the sound of mighty thunderings, saying, "Alleluia! For the Lord God Omnipotent reigns! (NKJV)

Thoughts
When I first read this verse, I was taken back to a memorable hike in Yellowstone Park. As my wife and I stood under Yellowstone Falls, we were totally unable to hear each other talk due to the thundering of the water crashing onto the rocks below. God gives us things like this in nature, which are actually written in scripture, so we might have some perspective of His glory. His glory is far greater than we can even begin to imagine! (Jimmy S.)

Action Point
God created us with the ability to enjoy nature's magnificent blessings. Seek out God's glory in the things you see in nature and you will discover that He is truly an awesome God

Pictures are a great way to capture those moments you wish to cherish when you are out enjoying God's creation. But try capturing those moments with a pen and paper too, by writing a journal. You can't capture the thoughts you had with a picture.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2009 at 03:11
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen February 7, 2009
Today's Photograph: . . .Off Roading (TRC).

Bible Study Verse

Luke 23:46
Jesus called out with a loud voice, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit." When he had said this, he breathed his last.
Luke 24:5-8
In their fright the women bowed down with their faces to the ground, but the men said to them, "Why do you look for the living among the dead? He is not here; he has risen! Remember how he told you, while he was still with you in Galilee: 'The Son of Man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, be crucified and on the third day be raised again.' " Then they remembered his words. (NIV)

Thoughts

Trust, absolute, complete, unconditional trust. This kind of trust is what you must have in your guide or you're kind of crazy to go into the wilderness with him. How about the vehicle you drive, the lifted four- wheel drive that can go anywhere until it gets stuck or loses a driveline or a fan belt twenty miles off road. How about that airplane that you climb in and soar into the clouds, will that prop keep turning? You rock climbers, now that's really crazy. To lean back on a rope from a gazillion feet up a bluff where if the rope breaks we'll have to pick you up with a stick and a spoon, if we can find that much of you! Trust. It is an absolute essential to everything we do in the outdoors or in our day-to-day life, if you think about it. Yes, that crazy driver really ran that red light. Yes, I trust my spouse while I'm gone hunting or fishing. Yes, I trust my hunting buddy to not shoot me while hiking up that mountain. (Cliff S.)

Action Point

God tells us that we can trust in Him and that He will raise us from the dead, if we believe in Jesus. Think about this with me. Jesus had to die to pay the penalty for our sins; that's an absolute fact. But, God also raised Jesus from the dead so that we can have faith that He will do the same for us. By God raising His Son, Jesus, from the dead, He was doing more than just telling us. He was showing us that we could have confidence in Him that He'll do the same for us. God doesn't just ask us to have faith in Him. By raising Jesus from the dead, He gives us absolute, unconditional proof that we can trust Him to raise us to an eternity with Him.

Check your gear and vehicle prior to every trip to the mountains. Be sure all batteries are fresh and that your hunting equipment is in good working order. Check the oil, water, tires, and battery in your truck and don't forget to check the fan belt. Replace any item that is questionable. And, don't trust your life to machines (like a GPS). They're great tools, but be a good woodsman. Your machine might break and leave you stranded if you're not paying attention to where you are.
sd logo
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2009 at 03:30
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen February 8, 2009
Today's Photograph.... Deer (MQ).

Bible Study Verse
Matthew 26:40-41
And he came to the disciples and found them sleeping. And he said to Peter, "So could you not watch with me one hour? Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak."(ESV)

Thoughts
Who hasn't fallen asleep hunting? Many of us have stayed up too late the night before a big hunt or been worn out fighting the elements and succumbed to fatigue. I recall my son's recent deer hunt from a ground blind. Facing away from him, I could see the deer coming. Under my breath I hissed, "deer," "deeeeer," "DEEEEER!" Overcoming a case of the nods, he snapped to attention with only half his wits about him. By the time the gun was up, there was snow on the scope and one disoriented teenager! Thankfully the deer never got close enough.

When Jesus addressed the disciples' physical grogginess, he was speaking to a much deeper spiritual grogginess. "The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak" is often our excuse for failure. It should be a warning against it. In life, we can't afford to give into temptation, for we are the hunted. Peter warned,"Be sober-minded, be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion seeking someone to devour" 1 Peter 5:8 (ESV). (Matt F)

Action Point
What dangerous spiritual grogginess could Jesus address in your life? "The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak." Get with another Christian and begin to hold yourself accountable to each other. Don't allow weakness to be an excuse for failure. Stay alert!

Make sure you're prepared mentally and physically for a big hunt. Get the proper sleep the night before and bring the proper gear to help you fight the elements.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2009 at 22:43
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen February 9, 2009
Today's Photograph.....Treasured Alaskan Fishing (MQ).

Bible Study Verse
Matthew 4:18-19
One day as Jesus was walking along the shore of the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers-Simon, also called Peter, and Andrew- throwing a net into the water, for they fished for a living. Jesus called out to them, "Come, follow me, and I will show you how to fish for people!" (NLT)

Thoughts
With the Silver Salmon running and the pristine afternoon conditions, my friends and I enjoyed treasured, prime Alaskan fishing. We were wading along the river while casting toward the opposite bank as the fish passed through. The borrowed open faced reel gave one friend a struggle. Another friend and I approached to lend a helping hand. The struggling Samoan explained, "I have never used a rod and reel before." We were stunned as he had earlier stated he was an accomplished fisherman. He went on to explain that he had always used a spear to wade fish in coastal lagoons on his island home and he was a good spear fisherman. After a quick lesson in the operation of an open faced reel he was casting almost as good as the best of us out there! The years of spear fishing seemed to have given him the needed excellent hand-to-eye coordination. He caught fish in no time. (Marshall M.)

Action Point
Jesus told Peter and Andrew he would show them how to fish for men. We often have people in our lives that we want to lead to the Lord and are often frustrated that we can't reel them in. We've used all the right baits and techniques and still nothing much ever changes. What we sometimes forget is that Jesus taught by letting his disciples see him live a righteous and holy life. It may be that's how we should try fishing for men, by letting them see us living a holy life. That's one way to teach a new skill, watch someone else practice what they are a teaching. Let your life be the teaching lesson to your friends.

A good way to teach people to fish is in the back yard. Take a washer and tie it to the end of your line and set up targets in the yard. Learning how to cast accurately and deal with obstacles that you might encounter at the lake or river will really improve their casting ability. It will be good practice for you also.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2009 at 22:26
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen February 10, 2009
Today's Photograph.... Deep, Dark Woods (CS).

Bible Study Verse
Psalm 43:3-4
Send out your light and your truth; let them lead me; let them bring me to your holy hill and to your dwelling! Then I will go to the altar of God, to God my exceeding joy, and I will praise you with the lyre, O God, my God. (ESV)

Thoughts
At twenty years old, I had the privilege of bow hunting for elk in the Colorado Rockies. After shooting a 4x5 rag-horn elk, I found myself lost and wandering in the wilderness. It was early evening and darkness began settling in. My only light source was a very small hand held flashlight. Trekking through the steep and difficult terrain would be difficult. If that wasn't enough, another challenge shadowed me when my light began to dim.

Hiking for hours had drained its power and it was only moments from being extinguished forever. Tired and worn out, I stood at the bottom of a deep and dark valley,, faced with an extremely difficult climb. Three quarters of the way up the steep incline, my light died as well as my spirit. Lost and alone, I broke down and prayed.

I would spend the night out in the mountains, but not without God answering my prayers. After composing myself, I felt it was important to get to at least the top of the hill before hunkering down for the night. Upon cresting the ridge, the moon illuminated a field of golden heather and a two-track trail. I was able to travel the rest of the way with a light unto my feet. (Michael T.)

Action Point
Many times in life we find ourselves lost in a dark world without a light. Sometimes it is the blackness of our souls or the darkness of this world that extinguishes our light. We attempt to draw upon our own resources in hopes of meeting our own needs, but find the illuminating power to be weak or fading away. Put your focus on the Light of this world, Jesus Christ, and let His light and truth lead you.

Instead of using a regular hand held flashlight on your next adventure, invest in a hands free, lightweight, and space saving headlamp. You can buy affordable lightweight headlamps at any store. This will illuminate the possibilities the next time adventure finds you in the dark.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2009 at 22:24
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen February 11, 2009
Today's Photograph.... Autumn Leaves (MQ).

Bible Study Verse
Isaiah 55:12-13
You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands. Instead of the thorn bush will grow the pine tree, and instead of briers the myrtle will grow. This will be for the Lord's renown, for an everlasting sign, which will not be destroyed." (NIV)

Thoughts
Most of my enjoyable moments happen in God's outdoors. When I hear the wind and the clapping of leaves, I am filled with joy. I smile when I gaze at a thorn bush and think of all that has been redeemed, is redeemed, and will be redeemed. My husband laughs and shakes his head when he turns to see me deeply smelling a pine tree or a cactus blossom very carefully. There is a peace that speaks to my very soul as I drink in the mountains. I have been tearful in the beautiful silence of snow falling. I am filled with wonder as I have watched black bears eat from apple trees, big horn sheep stage the side of a cliff, elk bugle, trout jump, bass roll, quail gather their young, or a troop of coati chatter from a tree. (Sara S.)

Action Point
God told Isaiah, "This will be for the Lord's renown, for an everlasting sign, which will not be destroyed" Isaiah 55:13b (NIV). He designed all creation to speak of who He is for His renown. He has not left His plan untold or cloaked in mystery. No, He continues to preach through His handiwork day after day, season after season. His everlasting sign speaks. He lives! He redeems! He is the Almighty Creator of heaven and earth. He alone is worthy of our time and worship. The trees clap, the rivers roar, the thunder rumbles, the wind ushers, the clouds carry, the sun displays, and the stars and the moon illuminate for His renown. It all seems to beckon and cry cut, "Come Lord Jesus."

God has given the outdoors to be your school house. Be a good student, pay attention to the lessons He is teaching, and then share what you have learned.

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2009 at 03:51
that one today is a good one, mike!
TasunkaWitko - Chinook, Montana

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2009 at 22:17
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen February 12, 2009
Today's Photograph.... South Dakota Mule Deer (RF)

Abraham Lincoln's Birthday

Bible Study Verse
Matthew 6:34
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. (NIV)

Thoughts
One of the tools we like to use in wildlife enforcement in the field is wildlife replicas (decoys). Decoys are very effective in reducing violations when used properly. We use them in areas that have had continuous problems with trespass, shooting from vehicles and roadways, and closed areas. I remember when we first started using decoys in my state. We wanted the set-ups to look perfect. We made sure there were no tracks to the decoy that would be visible from the road. One of the officers would drive by the set-up several times telling the officer at the decoy to turn it 5 inches one way or move the thing a few inches to the right or left, trying to make it look as natural as possible. If it was snowing, someone would put an orange vest on, go out and sweep the snow off its back every so often. Now, when I look back at the early days of decoy use, it's obvious to me that we worried way too much about the little things. If someone was bent on violating the law, they were going to shoot at the decoy no matter what we did. (Ron T.)

Action Point
In the book of Matthew, God's word says not to worry about our lives, what we will eat, drink, or wear. The birds of the air don't sow or reap or store away food in barns and yet God sees to it that their needs are met. God knows the things we need and if we seek his kingdom and his righteousness these things will be given to us.And what good does worrying do anyhow, it doesn't change the outcome, and it doesn't add a single hour to our lives.

After the season has closed and you give your rifle that final cleaning, try using a bore guide to protect the muzzle from the cleaning rod. A cheap bore guide can be made by using a spent 12 gauge shotgun hull with the primer taken out.

Montana Maddnes View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
AKA Scooter

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2009 at 08:25
 Very good piont. People will do what they want to do. Only a changed heart will make the difference.
Montana Maddness
God Bless The U.S.A.
On the Highways for Jesus!
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2009 at 01:50
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen February 13, 2009
Today's Photograph.... Remember, The Same Creator of These Flowers Created Your Unique Sweetheart (MQ)

Bible Study Verse
Ephesians 5:25-26
Husbands, love your wives, just as also Christ loved the church and gave Himself to her, to make her holy, cleansing her in the washing of water by the word. (HCSB)

Guys and Gals, remember it's the day before Valentine's Day. Make tomorrow a day full of loving memories for your sweetheart expecting nothing in return. God bless you!

Thoughts
The apostle Paul, when speaking to the church at Ephesus, instructed men to be the Christ-like leaders of their family. The decline of America's values can be directly correlated with the decline of the American family. As a school teacher, 90 percent of behavior and academic problems occur with kids who do not have a father in the home. Special merit should be given to moms trying to raise a family alone, but Christ did not set it up that way. Because society chooses to ignore God's decrees, society decays. (Bink G.)

Action Point
No one ever said living and loving your spouse would be the Garden of Eden (before Eve ate the apple). Women are different, biologically speaking, they have different hormones that require extra love, attention, and patience. God gave me the most wonderful woman in the world and I thank Him for her everyday. Our love grows stronger with daily prayer together, communication, and a Christ-first attitude. Sure, we get upset with each other at times, but it is hard to stay mad at her when my cell rings and "Beautiful" pops up on the caller ID. Her ring tone is a song which was popular when we were dating at East Texas Baptist University in 1994. She better not reveal what my ring tone is on her phone.

Buy your wife an outdoor gift, like a pink rod or camouflage, and then include her. I have had some wonderful times on the boat with my bride.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2009 at 01:51
 This is a pretty cool one today,I can relate to it as my best hunting buddy is my wife.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2009 at 00:56
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen February 14, 2009
Today's Photograph.... Heart Warming Campfire (Mark Q)

Bible Study Verse
Ephesians 5:25a
"Husbands, go all out in your love for your wives, exactly as Christ did for the church - a love marked by giving, not getting." (MSG)

Happy Valentine's Day

Thoughts
Years ago I was in a small village deep in the Mexican desert on a missions trip. The residents of the village were very poor and had little means to support themselves let alone us. So a couple of others and I decided to camp on the outskirts of town. We surrrounded the fire with our bedrolls. Even in spring time in this desert, the temperature at night would drop near freezing.

Before we could turn in, we needed a plan. Firewood would have to be collected, enough to last through the night. It had to be quality wood. Mesquite was our choice since it would burn hot, long, and leave quality coals. We didn't choose the lighter wood, cottonwood, which would burn too quickly. We had to take turns, each one of us staying awake for a few hours at a time to feed the campfire. The chosen one had to make sure it never burned out, so the others could sleep in warmth. (Brett M.)

Action Point
After nearly twenty years of marriage, I have learned that marriage is a lot like the campfire in Mexico. You can not just build a marriage or any relationship, like that campfire, and then expect it to continue to flourish with out tending to it constantly. First and foremost God must be at the center, as the campfire was at the center of all of us. Next when it is well established, it needs to be tended to, not just on Valentine's Day or your wedding anniversary, but every day. Paul tells us a "love marked by giving, not getting." This means giving of yourself for her benefit. Tend to your wife regularly. Rub her feet after a long day at work or with the kids. Take the time to cook a meal and do the dishes. Wash her car and vacuum the french fries from under the seat. Do these things regularly. Let me emphasize the last point, do these things regularly. Sometimes it can be a bit of a sacrifice, just as it was to stay awake for hours feeding the fire so others could sleep. But the results are a long lasting, loving, and God entered relationship.

I carry two prescription bottles in my backpack used for fire starting. The first contains several waterproof matches. The second contains petroleum jelly covered cotton balls. A single cotton ball covered with the jelly will burn for nearly two minutes.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2009 at 00:51
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen February 15, 2009
Today's Photograph: . . .Stopping at the Top (Mark Q)

Bible Study Verse
Philippians 2:12-13
Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed--not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence-- continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose. (NIV)

Thoughts
One morning on a muzzleloader deer hunt, two friends and I discovered the track of what promised to be a toad of a muley. When he dropped into a deep narrow canyon, Randy stayed on his track while Jeff and I skirted around the top for a shot at this buck that would surely spook when he caught Randy's scent. We crept at least 100 yards along the edge of the canyon and waited while Randy hotly pursued the buck into the head of the canyon. Within minutes we heard a clatter of hooves right beneath us as this monster escaped from under a palo verde tree and scrambled straight up the opposite side of the canyon. I settled in with my TC Renegade and shooting stick, an ancient saguaro skeleton spine, and readied for the shot that I guessed was at least 125 yards (later 'ranged' at 165 yards). Jeff whispered, "Are you gonna shoot?" I replied, "When he gets to the top, he's gonna stop." Sure enough when that big buck topped out on the other side of the canyon, he stopped and looked back for a glimpse of what had spooked him from his noontime nap. That's when I lowered the boom on him. (Ruben C.)

Action Point
This particular scenario had never presented itself. I wasn't certain that buck would stop. By faith I believed he would, because my dad had encouraged me to wait for such opportunities when dealing with a spooked buck. With just my old man's advice ringing in the back of my mind, I waited for the shot. He was right.

Paul told the Philippians don't just obey when I'm around to watch (like anyone would when you're in church), but as well when I'm not. We are called to be Christ like each day of the week, not just on Sunday while in the midst of the pastor and the body of believers. It is not easy. If we are to win others to Christ, we must set the example and walk as Jesus did. 1 John 2:6 instructs, "Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did (NIV)." Like I was eventually rewarded with that buck, you too will be rewarded with winning others to Christ. His blood can save us all.

Don't know why they do it, but they do more often than not. A mule deer buck will stop at the top of a ridge and look back if you've spooked him and he doesn't know what "you" are. Save this for the running shot that you're not all that warm and fuzzy about or as a lesson for young hunters. Worst case scenario if you don't take a chance on an "iffy" running shot, you'll have an opportunity on the other side of the hill at a buck that's settled down. If you're patient and give him enough time, he will.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2009 at 02:15
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen February 16, 2009
Today's Photograph.... Perfect Campfire (MQ).

Bible Study Verse
1 John 1:7
But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. (NIV)

Presidents Day

Thoughts
After a long enjoyable day deer hunting, my son and I were sitting around the perfect campfire he had built. We had been there for awhile just enjoying life when one of the logs rolled out and away from the fire. We were both too comfortable to move so we just let it lay there and watched it slowly burn its self out. After a while my son finally got up and kicked the log back into the fire. Within seconds, that log was a blaze of fire again.

The next morning resting under a tree, I started thinking about that log in the fire. God mentions several times the importance of being among fellow believers and staying in fellowship with other christians. There is power and strength in numbers. I know for me, it is easier to stay on fire for God when I am around other Christians. But when I have been away for awhile, it is difficult to keep that fire burning as hot and as bright as I should. The devil knows how to poke you in hopes that you will become separated from God.

Don't wait for something to happen that kicks you back to God. If you have been out of church for awhile or away from your bible studies, don't wait any longer. Become focused on Him. You will be surprised how much better you will feel and how fast that spark will turn back into a blaze. (Dave L. W.)

Action Point
Today is Presidents Day. Take some extra time to pray for our leaders. We all can agree, they need it now more than ever.

When preparing an area for a fire ring, make sure to clear a space beyond your ring so that when sparks fly and that log roles out, there is no danger of that perfect fire getting out of control.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2009 at 07:27
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen February 17, 2009
Today's Photograph.... Football (Tom B)

Bible Study Verse
II Timothy 1:8
So do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord, or ashamed of me his prisoner. But join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God,
Acts 22:15
You will be his witness to all men of what you have seen and heard. (NIV)

Thoughts
Even though all the collegiate football action is over for another season, some sports fans are still debating who should be number one. A friend at church, who listens to sports talk radio regularly, commented that after the Florida-Oklahoma game, the particular station he was listening to was besieged with callers complaining about the game announcers' comments about the Florida quarterback's, Tim Tebow, christian background.

My friend's point was that there were no callers defending the right of the commentator to report about every aspect of the game, including Tebow's christian beliefs. He thought christian listeners should have called and gave their point-of-view on the subject. We as christians should not be ashamed to testify about our faith. The comments about Tebow's background even though not intended to be "preaching" might have been what someone watching the game needed for his or her life. (Tom B.)

Action Point
God gives us all different platforms to tell others about Him. It might be on a fishing boat, a deer blind, or just riding in the truck on the way to an outdoor adventure. When the opportunity presents itself, we should not be ashamed to talk about what we believe. One wouldn't hesitate to describe the monster fish he or she caught. Don't be bashful telling about those wonderful things God has done in your life.

I remember when I used to tear down my fishing reels and service them myself. I would not recommend that now considering the complexity of the new reels. The experts who repair fishing reels recommend only cleaning and lubricating exterior parts of the modern day reel. Take your reels to a qualified repair specialist for cleaning, lubrication, and repair.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2009 at 01:51
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen February 18, 2009
Today's Photograph: . . .Headed Out to Sea (Cliff S)

Bible Study Verse
Psalm 29:11
The LORD gives strength to his people; the LORD blesses his people with peace. (NIV)

Thoughts
Last summer I had the opportunity to spend some time on a sport fishing boat in Alaska. Eight of us left Wrangell and headed out to sea for a week. During the day there was plenty of commotion; baiting lines for halibut or salmon, checking baits, landing fish, cooking meals, watching for bears and wolves, and cleaning various pieces of equipment; you know the drill. There was always something to do. We were always busy. When night came and we all went to bed, it would get quiet and so wonderfully peaceful. To fully appreciate this, you have to understand that I live in Phoenix, AZ and hear noise from two freeways, a railroad, a nearby fire station, and the airport. It's never quiet where I live. The quiet is one of the primary reasons that I spend time in the mountains, or in this case, out to sea. In the middle of the night, I would go out to the fantail of the boat and just stare at the sky and listen, to nothing! I just couldn't believe how quiet and peaceful it was in the middle of the night on the Alaskan sea. (Cliff S.)

Action Point
We all live in a hurry-up world. Where can you go where there's not a phone, a radio, a television, a computer, or some other source of interruption to your day? Take time to get alone, preferably somewhere where it is as quiet as possible. You will be amazed as to what it will do for your state of mind. And when you're there in that quiet place, listen for God's still small voice. It's there in the quiet that He can speak and you can hear Him the best.

Many times when I go to the mountains as soon as I hit the edge of town, the radio gets turned off. Upon my return to the city, the radio can go back on. The time in between is used to enjoy the quiet, to read, to think, and to pray. Try it the next time you head out. You'll be pleasantly surprised as to how refreshing it can be to escape the noise of daily life for a couple of days.
sd logo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 20>
  Share Topic