The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The CoffeeCorner > Keeping the Faith
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Topic ClosedDaily Sportsmen’s Devotional

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>
Author
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daily Sportsmen’s Devotional
    Posted: 21 January 2009 at 11:15

These daily devotionals are provided by www.sportsmensdevotional.com

We'd like to thank this excellent site for their outstanding service!

you can help spread the word by telling your friends about this positive site for outdoorsmen.

Edited by TasunkaWitko
TasunkaWitko - Chinook, Montana

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2009 at 13:00
$Account.OrganizationName
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen January 21, 2009
Today's Photograph....Muley (NDT).

Bible Study Verse
I Timothy 3:2a,7
Now the overseer must be above reproach. He must also have a good reputation with outsiders, so that he will not fall into disgrace and into the devil's trap. (NIV)

Thoughts
I had the opportunity to take our new pastor on his first mule deer hunt. While living in Arkansas he had harvested a whitetail doe with his bow, but had never shot a buck. On the way up to the timber, we saw several does. On the way down the mountain pastor hollered, "stop, there's a big buck!" Unfortunately, the 6x7 monster was on private property within 20 yards from public land. He stood there broadside 25 yards from the jeep with 5 does and a fork horn buck. Pastor asked, "should I shoot?" I said, "let's wait him out and see if he goes onto public land." Unfortunately, he went the wrong way. Later that day, pastor shot a nice 4x3 at 250 yards with his Savage 250/3000. The high fives were flying; pastor was very excited about his first buck. When pastor told several people about the 6x7 muley, most of them said that they would have shot the buck. Pastor and I agreed that he did the right thing by respecting private property. (Tom L.)

Action Point
As Christians we need to be like the Thessalonian Church. They modeled their lives after Paul and his companions and were true imitators of Christ. Being "above reproach" does not give the enemy a foothold and straightens our witness to believers and non-believers.

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
Study your maps and ask landowners about their property boundaries before hunting an area. Trespass laws in some states are very strict and a violation could cost a lot of money.
God,Mother,Country,and Hot Rods. Done with political crap.LOL
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2009 at 02:35
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen January 22, 2009
Today's Photograph: . . .Skiing With My Son. (MQ)

Bible Study Verse
John 6:60-66
On hearing it, many of his disciples said, "This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?" Aware that his disciples were grumbling about this, Jesus said to them, "Does this offend you? What if you see the Son of Man ascend to where he was before! The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life. Yet there are some of you who do not believe." For Jesus had known from the beginning which of them did not believe and who would betray him. He went on to say, "This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled him." From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him. (NIV)

Thoughts
With a careful watch, I followed my 6 year old son as he slowly carved and cut his way down the snow covered ski run. Although it was his first time skiing he was doing well so I decided to ski well ahead - in an attempt to capture the moment on film. As I looked back, I saw him fall. Although he was not hurt, his skis were crossed and he needed help getting up. As I struggling back up that slope, I watched skiers quickly and effortlessly pour down past me. It was easy to go down, but climbing back up proved difficult. I visualized Jesus climbing to a high vantage point to speak to the crowd that day. When those followers heard His charge they considered it too difficult grasp and many turned their backs on Him - descending down and away. They made the decision to choose flesh over faith. (Will D.)

Action Point
Many times in our lives it seems as though we are struggling with an uphill climb- continue climbing. The crowd (and this world) beckons us to follow them - usually downhill. Continue to place your faith in the Cross - it provides the strength and stamina needed to scale life's mountains.

Regardless of how often you snow ski, wear a properly fitted helmet. Not only will it keep you safe, but it is also the warmest thing you can wear.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2009 at 03:46
today's devotional rings true for me - i see it many times at home, at work and in my own life. it often seems easy to take the easiest path, but in the end choosing a more difficult, yet more rewarding path, is something to be valued.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2009 at 03:18
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen January 23, 2009
Today's Photograph.... A Warm Campfire (MQ)

Bible Study Verse
Psalms 5:1-3
Give ear to my words, O Lord, consider my sighing. Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God, for to you I pray. Morning by morning, O Lord, you hear my voice; morning by morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation. (NIV)

Thoughts
While my husband is out hunting and my 6 year old and I are anxiously awaiting his return to camp, we often pass the time by going on adventures into the woods to collect firewood. We then begin the process of building a fire. Our first step is to prepare a place to build that is safe and cleared of debris. Next, we stack rocks to make a ring and then we build our nest of small fuzzy pieces of wood to light. The larger pieces are then added until we have a nice cozy fire. This is a great activity because it takes time and makes the day without Dad go even faster. (Sara S.)

Action Point
In the Old Testament we often read of the building of an altar and the burning of sacrifice to God. At times the fire was lit by man and at other times fire from heaven came down and consumed the sacrifice. Our scripture today says, "morning by morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation." The Hebrew words used in this psalm describe the building of an altar, laying out requests as you would lay out pieces of wood, and the wait in expectation as looking up to heaven for the fire to consume the sacrifice, our prayers. God is waiting to hear from you. Are you expecting to hear from Him? Look up, your answer is coming!

When leaving camp be sure to drown out your fire and stir the water deeply into the pit. Then scatter the rocks from your fire ring. This returns your camp site to a place that looks natural and beautiful.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2009 at 23:57
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen January 24, 2009
Today's Photograph.... My Son, Ben, A Good Papa (RE)

Bible Study Verse
Ephesians 6:4
"Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger; but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord." (NASB) "Fathers, don't exasperate your children by coming down hard on them. Take them by the hand and lead them in the way of the Master." (The Message)

Thoughts
I often reference to the adage, "They don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care!" I believe it is true of all relationships. This, "philosophy" has served me well as a coach in a variety of sports at various levels of competition, as a youth leader, as a pastor, and as a father. The only way for anyone to really know we care, is for us to give of ourselves to them. This is so true of our closest relationships especially in the areas of time and attention. And, it is these relationships that speak loudest of our closeness to God, or not. (Randy E.)

Action Point
One of my regrets in life is the many times I failed to model Christ for my children and, instead, exasperated them to anger and frustration. Most of the time I was angry myself when I did so. I have talked with each of our children about this and have asked him or her for forgiveness. I did so in hope of bettering my relationship with them and that they will in turn do a better job with their own children. Our oldest, Ben, is certainly doing so. How about you my friend?

If you want your children and grandchildren to share and enjoy your interests and hobbies, start investing your time in them when they are learning to walk. As they grow older, learn what they like to do and do those things with them as well. This is the way to share your life with them. Then when you are old, they will do the same with you. Young or old, it is never too late to start!

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2009 at 23:51
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen January 25, 2009
Today's Photograph.... Javelina Pups (BM)

Bible Study Verse
Exodus 4:1
But Moses protested again, "What if they don't believe me or listen to me? What if they say, ' The Lord never appeared tp you'?" (NLT)

Thoughts
We were driving the fire truck down a main arterial street when two women frantically waved us down. "You have to do something; they will never survive," the first woman exclaimed. "They are going to die," yelled the second woman. Now I began to think maybe there was some danger. Was there someone trapped in a burning house? Were people trapped in a catastrophic car accident? They led us around the corner of a house were we found two newborn javelinas nestled against the wall. They were right; they probably would not survive in this location. Not that there was a shortage of green lawns and fresh petunias to root up, but the combination of their poor eyesight and the latte drinking "got to get my Christmas shopping list finished" drivers were no match for these young pups. So with mama javelina circling the area and the fire truck blocking all lanes of the busy street, we led the two youngsters back to a wash located several blocks away where they had probably came from. Eventually with the squeals of the two once content and now very irritated pups, mama crossed the road and disappeared into the wash after them. (Brett M.)

Action Point
Moses wasn't sure about the Lord instructing him to lead the Israelites out of Egypt. He felt inadequate as a leader and questioned whether the Israelites would even believe that God had told him to lead them. Compounding his doubt were the Israelites preferring the enslaved comfort of Egypt over the adventure of an uncertain future.

Has God called you to lead? He calls many of us in many different ways. Some of us He calls to teach Sunday School at church or to serve the homeless at a soup kitchen. Others He calls to create a devotional website and others to be big brothers or big sisters. Regardless of where God calls you, be open and accepting to His leading. Pray, read God's word, and seek out trusted Christian influences in your life like a pastor for guidance. God has a plan for your life, seek Him out, and find out what it is. A good resource is Rick Warren's A Purpose Driven Life.

Javelina have a musk scent gland that many people worry will taint their meat. It requires no special care. Just skin your harvest as usual and the scent gland will peel off with the hide.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2009 at 23:53
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen January 26, 2009
Today's Photograph: . . .The Power of God (MQ)

Bible Study Verse
1 Samuel 17:45
David said to the Philistine, "You come against me with a sword, with a spear, and with a javelin. But I come against you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. (NKJV)

Thoughts
For 40 mornings and evenings, the 9 foot 9 inch Philistine named Goliath stood and taunted the Israelites, asking for a man worthy to fight him. No one would step up and take the challenge. It took a young boy from Israel, who as a sheepherder had fought off bears and lions that attacked his flock, to defeat the Philistine behemoth. It was the greatest upset of all time. (Bink G.)

Action Point
Most of us, like the Israelites, would run and hide if we were called on to fight a giant. Oh what problems we would solve and anxiety we would save if we took the same approach as David, "I come against you in the name of the Lord of Hosts." There is strength in the name of the Lord. There is power in the name of the Lord. There hope in the name of the Lord. Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.

A few years ago, it became politically incorrect to term one of the largest groupers in the ocean as a Jewfish; so the fish was renamed the Goliath grouper. Ironically, so not to offend the Jews, officials renamed the fish to give homage to the Philistine who persecuted them. Grouper is excellent tablefare. If you ever travel to Florida, look on the menu for a crunchy grouper sandwich with lots of tartar sauce. The tip is - try you'll like it.

Montana Maddnes View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
AKA Scooter

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2009 at 02:40

Great devotional today. Oh for the power in the name of the Lord Jesus!!

MM

Montana Maddness
God Bless The U.S.A.
On the Highways for Jesus!
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2009 at 00:06
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen January 27, 2009
Today's Photograph....Trail riding. (MTG)

Bible Study Verse
Joshua 4:21-24
He said to the Israelites, "In the future when your descendants ask their fathers, 'What do these stones mean?' tell them, 'Israel crossed the Jordan on dry ground.' For the LORD your God dried up the Jordan before you until you had crossed over. The LORD your God did to the Jordan just what he had done to the Red Sea when he dried it up before us until we had crossed over. He did this so that all the peoples of the earth might know that the hand of the LORD is powerful and so that you might always fear the LORD your God." (NIV)

Thoughts
My wife's passions are her horses and trail riding. In the past 38 years we have ridden many back country trails and followed cairns, small piles of rock set to mark the trail. Today the Forest Service uses small blue diamonds tacked to trees along the trail. The older method of marking with stones is still used, especially on unmapped trails or the older less traveled trails. Recently I found cairns over two feet high, stacked by an energetic soul. They still all serve the same purpose, the way. (Byron S.)

Action Point
Rock pillars or cairns date back to Moses' crossing the Red Sea during the Exodus. Rock pillars, thought to be set up by King Solomon, mark the crossing site. They what God did for His people. Another analogy that I thought of is stones of remembrance are to point and show us the way. I have discovered is that every page of the Bible, both Old and New Testaments, point to Jesus Christ, The Way.

Genesis 5 holds the prophetic stones that reflect genealogy from Adam to Noah which spell out the Gospel:

Adam=Man
Seth=Appointed
Enosh=Mortal
Cainan=Sorrow
Mahalalel=The Blessed God
Jared=Shall Come Down
Enoch=Teaching
Methuselah=His Death Shall Bring
Lamech=The Despairing
Noah=Comfort

In sentence form it reads: Man (has) Appointed Mortal Sorrow; (but) The Blessed God Shall come down Teaching, (and) His death shall bring The Despairing comfort.

Take time to read and study your Bible, you will be amazed at the stones of membrance that you will find. I guarantee it will keep you on the trail.

Some back country trails wash out over the years making it hard to find the way. Invest in a good map and compass or GPS and more importantly, know how to use them.

.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
AKA Scooter

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2009 at 05:16

I'm trying to read the bible in 90 days right now. ( not gonna make it but trying) I have just read the accounts of many of these men. Great men and some failors along the way. Thier faith is astounding in some of the cases. Every time I read of Abram a fresh. It amazes me! Oh to have that kind of commitment in my own life! Well I'm just a work in progress.

MM

Montana Maddness
God Bless The U.S.A.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2009 at 02:26
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen January 28, 2009
Today's Photograph.... Moonlit Cross (CS)

Bible Study Verse
1 Peter 4:10-11
Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen. (NIV)

Thoughts
As a Hunter Education instructor I am privileged to help many people with a variety of instructional needs. There's the youngster that is taking the class in order to hunt big game in Arizona, or maybe the teenager that wants to learn how to be safer in the field. There are always students that are there because Mom or Dad has made the class a requirement for shooting and/or hunting. Many times there's the Dad that is there with his child, but who all ready "knows it all" and is just there to be supportive of his child. Without exception, Dad always comes around and is a star student by the end of the class! On several occasions, I've had moms that have never fired a gun and let me know that they are a little afraid of the guns. They are the most fun. By the end of the field day where they are required to shoot, I have to pry the gun out of their hands!

None of these prepared me for a recent conversation with a student. A father and two of his children were in my class. This individual shared with me that he had done OK with the field day and hadn't had any negative repercussions from shooting and smelling the gunpowder. A little puzzled, I asked him what was up. He then proceeded to inform me that he had witnessed his brother's suicide. They were alone at a shooting range with seemingly nothing wrong when his brother ended it all. Needless to say, I was set back on my heels by this story. I cannot begin to imagine what this man has gone through because of this event in his life. The student indicated how grateful he was for the class and my helping him get through his difficult memories. His children were both very supportive and were looking forward to shooting and hunting with their father. Needless to say, this instantly became one of my most cherished moments in Hunter Ed. To be a part of his story was a privilege beyond words. I was humbled to be in God's place for those few weeks and, unbeknownst to me, to be able to help one of His children. (Cliff S.)

Action Point
All believers have been given gifts by God that we are to use in service to Him. I've been given the gift of speaking (practiced through many years of training) and being able to communicate with others. Be it sharing about hunting, firearm safety, or the grace of God, it is important that I use that gift for God's glory. You see, teaching Hunter Ed is a sideline, what I'm really there to do is to help others and to share God's love with them. Please pray for my classes, and also pray that God will make me sensitive daily to whomever He brings into my life and to whatever help they may be needing. It is vitally important that we use the gifts God has given us even when we aren't aware of someone else's circumstances. You never know when God has brought you into someone's life to encourage them in their walk with Him or to lead them into a personal relationship with Jesus. I would ask also that you would pray for this friend and brother in Christ. He's a good guy and is doing better every day. And, if you need help with struggles in your life, find a friend or relative that is a believer and let them share with you the love of Christ. Jesus is there for you, especially in tough times. Don't wait, give your life to Jesus today and experience His love and forgiveness in your life.

Pay attention to the people in your hunting camp. There may be someone there that needs help with a firearm, or some coaching on hunting techniques, a word of encouragement, or maybe something far more important. Share what you have learned over the years, especially with the youngsters

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2009 at 02:36

This one hits home for me,lots of folks are hurting in this world but how many times do we just shut up,listen or look for signs of folks in need.

Had a guy at work that ended it all just about two weeks ago. Always said hi but on the quite side always looked grumpy so folks didn't talk with him much. Retired in Dec.,ended his life and eternity in Jan.. Not that I could have done anything but we never know do we?

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2009 at 03:43

this one hits me too, mike. i can think of more than one occasion in my life when i have been in a place at a time that i could never have brought together on my own, and then found out that it was to help someone or experience something that either did some real good for someone else or taught me an important lesson. i've also been on the receiving end of that as well. these experiences have taught me that everything happens for a reason, even if we never find out what that reason is.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
AKA Scooter

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2009 at 08:30

My pastor calls those Holy Gost Apiontments. We must always be on the look out for them, A life eternal may be hanging in the balance.

MM

Montana Maddness
God Bless The U.S.A.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2009 at 02:21
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen January 29, 2009
Today's Photograph...First deer. (NPS)

Bible Study Verse
1 Timothy 6:11
But you, O man of God, flee these things and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, gentleness. (NKJV)

Thoughts
I will never forget the day that I harvested my first deer. I was twelve years old. My dad had placed me on a stand at the edge of a pine thicket. As I watched his orange vest disappear through the woods towards his stand, I caught movement out of the corner of my eye. A small spike buck was following my dad through the woods. He stayed well behind my dad so to remain undetected, but was craning his neck to see what that was walking through his woods. He never saw my sweaty hands holding my grandfather's old twelve gauge that severed his quiet surveillance. (Brian H.)

Action Point
Sometimes we flirt with things that we shouldn't. We tiptoe quietly behind sin thinking that we are far enough behind that we couldn't possibly be in any danger. It's at those times that we are hit squarely in the side by the flaming arrows of Satan's offense. We must flee those things that could even potentially ensnare us. A wise man once stated, "Sin will cost more than you want to pay, it will take you farther than you want to go, and it will keep you longer than you want to stay." Flee it! Don't stick around to dip your toe in the waters of sin. Be vigilant, watch for the roaring lion so that you won't be devoured, flee sin, and pursue Godliness.

If you're a hunter that uses dogs such as Beagles or Walker hounds, keep some one liter soda bottles filled with water. When you're in the field, keep those bottles in your game bag. Sometimes the dogs need a drink and a puddle is nowhere to be found.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2009 at 22:33
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen January 30, 2009
Today's Photograph: . . .Hunting the desert. (MQ)

Bible Study Verse
Psalm 63:1
O God, You are my God; I shall seek You earnestly; My soul thirsts for You, my flesh yearns for You, In a dry and weary land where there is no water. (NASB)

Thoughts
Most of my adult life has been spent in desert environs. In a land where there is no water. This was not always the case. I was born and raised in Pennsylvania where there is an abundance of water. There were so many good fishing spots that your biggest problem was deciding which lake or stream or river to go to! I can remember so vividly the first trip back home after living for many years in the desert. Green! You just wanted to try and drink in all the green! It felt so good to the eyes just to see all that luscious green. Much of the Middle East and of course Israel is a dry and weary land where there is no water. David was thoroughly familiar with these barren spaces and how they can zap the soul right out of you. He had no air conditioning, no refrigerator to go get a cold glass of water from, and no ice cubes! He really understood thirst when he said, "my soul thirsts for you, my flesh yearns for you". (Dave W. H.)

Action Point
Have you ever felt the way David did? How you almost feel physically weak and sick because of the need for God in your life? You feel like you are lost in a desert with no water, wandering aimlessly, and trying to find something to drink before you expire. The sun is beating down on you with no relief, no shade, and no shelter. I have been in the literal desert extremely hot and thirsty. I have also been in that dry and weary spiritual place. In the latter case, it is always because I have left the safety of the Lord, never because He has left me. Run after the Lord! Drink Him in like a glass of refreshing water. Taste and see that He is good!

When doing your dishes while out camping or hunting, add a few drops of Clorox to your rinse water. This will kill most of the parasites that cause "the runs". After washing, just soak your dishes in the rinse water, dry, and put away. No one ever wants that kind of a problem and especially not on an outdoor outing!
                        sd logo

Edited by Tikkabuck
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2009 at 22:31
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen January 31, 2009
Today's Photograph....Small Key Ring Knife (MQ).

Bible Study Verse
Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. (NIV)

Thoughts
Outdoorsmen are fascinated by knives. Part of the appeal of a knife is its simplicity. A knife calls out to the minimalist in a man. Never has there been a low tech tool with higher fascination. It's so simple it can be made from just one material, handle and blade; the archetype of unity. Yet it's obvious which end to grab and which is the business end. Part of our interest in knives is their beauty. Beauty in appearance, functionality, and allure of creativity.

The word of God is all these things. Its message is simple, beautiful, and creative. When we subject ourselves to God's word we find a simple, penetrating message which points to a beautiful Savior whose creative power transforms lives. (Steve S.)

Action Point
Allow yourself to be judged by the Word of God. It will cut away the things in your life that are keeping you from being all you should be as a Christian believer.

What's the best knife? The best knife is probably the one that opens doors between people, doors of friendship and trust. The simple gift of a knife says that you trust the person you're giving it to. He will remember you, and somewhere down the road you'll have influence with that person. Always have a knife handy to give away.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2009 at 22:47
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen February 1, 2009
Today's Photograph....Snow On Roof (RL)

Bible Study Verse
I John 1:9
"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." (NIV)

Thoughts
One of our favorite wintertime activities is cross country skiing as a family. If you stay inside for too long in the winter months, a person can go buggy. Cross country provides us a cheap outlet to get out of the house and get a breath of fresh air. For us to do this, my wife and I have had to teach each of the kids how to ski. Cross country isn't hard once you get a little experience under your belt, but those first few lessons reinforce how easy it is to slip and fall. All it takes is being off balance a little bit and down you go. The important part of this learning curve is, "How do I get back up?" So a quick lesson ensues getting your skis parallel while you are laying down on your side, and then using your poles to help push oneself back up. It's a simple lesson, but if you don't get back up, you won't ever reach your destination. (Dave M.)

Action Point
Spiritually, everyone falls down. The key is to get back up. God designed and created you for a life of purpose. The enemy, Satan, wants to keep you down and beat up. That way you are ineffective for the kingdom of God. Sin isn't good, but when you fall, go straight to God, ask for forgiveness, and get back up. God's forgiveness is quick and complete - accept it and learn from your mistake(s).

For those of you who live in a snowy climate, buy a roof rake to get the snow off your rooftops. Don't go up on your roof to shovel it off - you're inviting trouble. You do have to get the snow off though or you are looking at too much weight on the roof and potential leak problems with the ice backing up.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2009 at 00:25
A Daily Study of God's Word for Christian Sportsmen February 2, 2009
Today's Photograph.... Gone Deer Hunting (MQ).

Bible Study Verse
Joshua 24:15
And if it seems evil to you to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." (NKJV)

Thoughts
I finished setting up my things in my tree stand just before the woods awakened to the daylight. I grunted using my grunt call, rattled my rattle bag, and only had to wait a few seconds. He seemed to just materialize out of the dimly lit woods. He walked in my direction seeking out my calling. I could make out his rack as he moved closer. He proudly wore four points on his narrow antlers. As far as he was concerned, he was the biggest deer in the woods. At this point, he was. I enjoyed watching this deer as he couldn't find the other deer and as he walked off. I chose to let him walk away. I told a teenager about this encounter and he shared, "I wouldn't have let him walk." The joy of hunting is that a trophy is an individual's choice. ((Dennis W.)

Action Point
We have many choices in life. We face simple choices like how you like your coffee, to more difficult choices like which house to buy. In our spiritual life, we face choices every day. Will we feed our sinful desires or will we follow the righteousness of God? Joshua said, "As for me and my house, we will follow the Lord."

Of all the hunting paraphernalia you could carry into the woods, take a grunt call. Calls are small and simple to use. When you see a deer, you have a natural sound to hopefully turn that deer toward you.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>
  Share Topic