The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Handguns, Pistols and SixGuns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Topic Closed.375 Super Magnum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
** The RockChucker **

Direct Link To This Post Topic: .375 Super Magnum
    Posted: 26 September 2003 at 19:47

Evening Gents  >>  I took in the first day of our local gun show this afternoon.  Ran into this thing right off the bat :

It's a Dan Wesson SuperMag chambered in the .375 Super Magnum.  Price tag was marked at $575.  It came with a Redding custom F.L. 3-die set, a Redding Expander Die, a Redding Trim Die, 280 IHMSA cases, 20 loaded rounds and two extra 8" barrels.  To say the least, I was interested.  Every time me and my brother hit these gun shows, we're always looking for a BlackHawk .357 Maximum, as that's a cartridge that's interested the both of us for a while.  We left the table with the .375 SM in search of other things but I couldn't get out of my head the fact that this might be my best chance to get into a .357 Maximumish cartridge and for a hell of a lot less then the BlackHawks would run me.  After finding nothing else that interested me more, I went back to the table and chatted with the guy.  I asked him if he was solid on the price and he said he'd take $500.  Sounded good to me.  Traded check for gun and was on my way.  Frankly, I'd never heard of the .375 Super Magnum till this.  Just for context, here it is with my other revolver cartridges :

Did a little research when I got back home to the computer.  I think I'm gonna have fun with this one    .  It should do will with H110, just like the other two revolvers.  I really like that.  Already have an e-mail in to Cast Performance.  Hopefully their 260 gr. LBT Solid will work.  I'm thinking it will.  Gotta start thinking scopes for this one now.

Also, picked up a belt holster for the .357 Sig.  All in all, it was a good show this year for me.  Later.  >>  klallen

Edited by klallen
A Big Mouth Don't Make A Big Man !!!

The Duke
mausermann View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2003 at 09:54
isn't the brass from 375 win.??I understand the 220 from hornady works good in this,,I have a couple,3 loads if you want 'em,,why can't I luck into this kind of deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what if we're all fools and none of it matters??,,and the hokey-pokey IS what it's all about!!!!
Mausermann,,Butte,,Montana.
NH_Hunter View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka The Kid

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2003 at 13:40
I dont think that is .375 Winchester. Or at least it doesnt look it compared to the .44 Mag.

NH_Hunter
Leverguns make me smile
Proud Left Handed Shooter
klallen View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
** The RockChucker **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2003 at 16:43

Hey MAUSERMANN  >>  Yeah, it's made from trimmed .375 Win. brass.  I have read of some using .30-30 brass as the base for this round as well, back before cases were factory made, that is.  Now that cases are again no longer factory offered, we're back to having to roll our own.  For this, it seems as thought the .30-30 idea has gone by the way-side as that .375 Win. brass is constructed heavier in the head, proving a better match for the higher pressures of the .375 SM round.

I've been waiting for my 250 gr. LFNGC's to get here from BearTooth.  In the meantime, I worked up my own load for that 220 gr. Hornady FP, just so I could play with the gun  ;o)  .  I've settled on 23.0 grs. of H110 averaging just over 1400 fps.  I think that would be a sweet close range deer getter, but I got the scope for the thing, have it mounted but yet to zero things.  I'll wait till spring or a warmer winter day for that.  I am excited to see what that heavier cast bullet will offer.  By the way, I'd love to see your load data for the .375.  Thank You.  >>  klallen

A Big Mouth Don't Make A Big Man !!!

The Duke
mausermann View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2003 at 03:30
i HAVE ONLY THREE ,,AND THEY SEEM TO BE THE MOST PREV. THAT i HAVE SEEN AROUND,,YOU MIGHT ALREADY HAVE THEM,,,,1)HORN. 200GR.,,26GR.-680 POWDER    2)HORN 220GR.,,,23GR.-296 POWDER   3)HORN.220GR,,,27GR.-296 POWDER.,,,,,,,,VEL.S ARE,,,,,,,,,1425,,,,,,,,,1440,,,,,,,,,,1490.,HOPE THIS IS SOME HELP
what if we're all fools and none of it matters??,,and the hokey-pokey IS what it's all about!!!!
Mausermann,,Butte,,Montana.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2003 at 04:49

klallen,

Great buy.  I have the 375 w in a Thompson Center Contender.  It has a 10 ichbarrel witha 2" brake on the front of that.

I have a 1.5-4x scope and it normally shoots 1 MOA from bags.  With the 220 cast bullets I've kill aboout 6 whitetails.

Now mine is a little longer and carries more powder that yours, but I'll bet you will like it more than the 357 max.

BEAR

tj3006 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

AKA King Leui VX-III

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2003 at 17:59

Klallen.

many years ago i had a 357 max contender. I am sure you will have fun with your 375, but the max in a 10 inch contender was sweet. I had a TC scope on it and I used to shoot a speer 180 grain bullet made for the 35 remington. I was a new shooter then and dirt poor, I think I sold it when my daughter was born. (shes 16 now) but if you come across a good deal on a contender in 357 max you ought to give it a try, With the breaK top action you can load about any bullet. I shot lots of factory 357 mag through it and it was super accurate.

Love to have that one back.

...tj30065

Freedom 1st tj3006
The_Mountaineer View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
** West BY-GOD Virginian! **

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2003 at 02:23

klallen,

Great buy!  Let us know how well it shoots once you get it sighted in later!

Paritur pax bello - Peace is obtained by war.
Bojon View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2003 at 15:09

Klallen:

Great job you did well.

Bet that has a hellava recoil !!!!

Bojon

Freedom is God given and our most precious Right
It seems as though Rifles have become measured as the automobile..."how fast can it go?"...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic