The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Head for the Hills! > Camping, Hiking and Backpacking
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Topic Closedwhen hunting in montana - be prepared!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Direct Link To This Post Topic: when hunting in montana - be prepared!
    Posted: 15 June 2003 at 17:19
bring your longjohns, cause if it's hunting season, the mornings will be cold! usually by hunting season there is aleady snow on the tops of the mountains; makes the mountains pretty, but it sure lets you know summer is over, even if you are on the plains!! and bring your camera too, cause this is just about paradise!  it is a LONG way to the next ranch and even farther to the next town! i can't stress it enough, dress warm, but not bulky. dress in layers. take plenty of coffee or cocoa in a thermos and basic survival gear, including a gallon or two of water which can be used for drinking or for washing your hands after field-dressing. i always take a compass, but i have fair knowledge of how to use it. if you don't then there isn't much point in taking one. i also take several knives from penknives to a k-bar and an m4 bayonet, and at least 3 ways to make a fire. two or three separate first aid kits that when put together make a pretty well-stocked emergency medpack. will i ever actually USE all (any) of this crap? probably not, but i was a boy scout, and they taught us to be prepared. besides i have 4 kids who can haul it around for me. about the time that the oldest will leave home, the youngest will be just old enough to start hunting with me ;) make sure you ALWAYS have plenty of gas in the truck and leave the keys in it, under the seat or something, just in case. even if there are other people out there, no one will mess with it. and some food, any food...high in carbs and energy.
TasunkaWitko - Chinook, Montana

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen
NH_Hunter View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka The Kid

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2003 at 07:05

My dad, after eviserating (sp?) an elk last year got an infection in his thumb. It swelled up to over twice its size. From now on he is going to wear gloves when he opens up animals.

NH_Hunter

rollingb View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2003 at 16:28
NH Hunter,.... I carry a small flask filled with "Everclear" (190 proof grain alkyhol) fer cash'n out any cuts, or rinse'n my hands after gut'n a critter (ya gotta be old-enuff ta legaly buy it tho).

Very best regards!!
YMHS
rollingb/Rondo
SelwayPacker View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2003 at 06:17
I'll bet you rinse out your esophogus with that Everclear too!?!?
saddlesore View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2003 at 07:24
Buy some Betadyne wash ,and save that Everclear for inside infections only.
Saddlesore
If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic