The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Handguns, Pistols and SixGuns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

.44 Mag

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka Old IronSides

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .44 Mag
    Posted: 21 March 2007 at 09:52
.44 Mags have always been a favorite of mine and I owned about all there were to own at one time or another. My first one was a Thompson Contender. The early model too. It was the worse handling gun I ever owned. Every time I shot it, the front sight opened my head. It also felt like a log splitter in my hand, just loads of fun to shoot, NOT! So I bought a ruger. It was a lot better but the plow handle allowed the hammer to hit my hand with full power loads. I bought a S&W mod 29. It was a cadillac to say the very least. I shot the hell out of it and wore it out three times. That's what the factory told me every time I sent it to them. Anyway, I took it easy with it for a few years and then traded it at a gunshow for something I am sure I don't have. I had an anaconda, what a piece of clumpy junk!!!!! I couldn't wait to unload it, starting from the first time I shot it. Now I have a slightly used blue 29 that always seems to bring a smile to my face, almost as big as when I shoot my WW Greener 12 ga. Anyway, what are the crowd feeling among you .44 shooters? Just a little thread to break the doldrums.........Kingpin
There are times when a normal man must, spit in his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
klallen View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
** The RockChucker **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2007 at 12:19

A revolver chambered for the .44 RemMag was the first handgun I bought myself back in 1995.  Really wasn't much into such things before that but got the itch for one reason or another and it's never left.  Mine's a Taurus.  Fiddled with a couple loads over the years but have since settled on the Cast Performance's 320 gr. LBT solids.  Nice little round and revolver.  >>  klallen

A Big Mouth Don't Make A Big Man !!!

The Duke
CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2007 at 12:28

King

Ya know, I've never owned a .44 magnum.  I have had a fair number of .357's, but never a .44.  When I felt the need to go up a notch, I was thinkin' of getting a 629 Smith.  But this Hibernian Mau-Mau maniac from Mars shoved the .475 under my nose & made me an offer I could not refuse.

So, I now regard the .44 magnum as a weak-kneed bed wetter of a cartridge.  Can't help it when the .475 can accelerate over 400 grains of lead to something around 1350 fps muzzle.  So far I've worked up to 388 at 1250, but I'll get to rockin' later this spring.

900F

Birth certificate!? He don't need no steenkink birth certificate!!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2007 at 12:28

T/C Contender 14" barrel. Pacmeyer grips, lupy 4X scope. I down load it for pokin holes in paper and plinkin, load it to elephant loads for huntin..

Rick

klallen View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
** The RockChucker **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2007 at 14:10

CB  >>  Looking forward to hearing how your load development progresses.  A 6 1/2" BFR in .475 will be my next one.  Probably not this year with hunts that I have scheduled and needing payment, but in time.  Won't make the purchase for any power increase over what I'm already seeing with my .454.  Rather, I want to fill the caliber gap between the Casull and my .500 S&W.  I think the Linebaugh would do this nicely.  >>  klallen

A Big Mouth Don't Make A Big Man !!!

The Duke
Ranch 13 View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranch 13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2007 at 15:54

I like the 44 mag, I do think it gets overrated most of the time.I honestly prefer a stout loaded 44 special , to the magnum.

One of the dumbest things I ever did was traded off a Dan Wesson pistol pack in 44, now that was a handy setup.

The only 44mag I have now is a Ruger Vaquero, have killed 2 antelope with it.

Favorite powder is 2400, and favorite bullet is a 429421 cast from wheelweights. Jacketed bullet I prefer the half jacket Speer 240.

The most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2007 at 16:46

I love my Redhawk. Even if it does have a Lupy on it.

God,Mother,Country,and Hot Rods. Done with political crap.LOL
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2007 at 01:27

Shoot a contender 12 inch barrel with Leupold and Packmeyer black soft rubber grips.  Use to have a 12 inch super Blackhawk, actually the most accurate 44 mag I've ever shot.

Lately since I've found the 375 winchester T/C for hunting, the 44 doesn't fill a role for me.  In a revolver I prefer the m54 in 41 mag.  Still have a marlin lever 44.  So maybe I've decided for me the 44 is a better rifle cartridge?  Like to get a .500 lever rifle.

BEAR

saddlesore View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saddlesore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2007 at 01:46

I have owned several Superblack hawks in 44 mag. I always sold them as they were just too heavy to carry. Then I boughta  Smith Mountain gun. It tore my hand up  everytime I shot it. About 12 rounds was the maximum I could put though it.

I have talked to several pistol smiths and,they said they get more Anacondas in that go out of time than any other 44.

So I want back to a Blackhawk,but with a 4 5/8 barrel, ss. I carry it whan riding, but for walking around I carry a Ruger Security  Six, 4" barrel, 357 mag.

For the 44, I prefer H110 over 2400, I shoot Speer Semijacketed FP, As I carry a 44 mag rifle too. For plinking I shoot 8 gr of Universal clays or W231 with a 240 br RN cast bullet

Saddlesore
If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Kingpin View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka Old IronSides

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2007 at 14:35
SS, the ruger I had was a 7 1/2 inch model and the hammer punched a hole in the web of my hand everytime I shot it. I am sure it was the grips that caused it, plow handle shaped you know. I have always wondered how the Bisley Ruger felt on recoil. I think it would be better because of the angle, but I never tried one. That being said, I am quite comfortable with my 5" Smith that I use. It's heavy, but a real joy to shoot no matter what the load. At one time I was loading a gaschecked Kieth bullet around 265 grains, and launched them with 22 grains of WW296. I am sure that the load lead to the demise of my first Smith, three times, but it was very accurate and would really reach out. Anyway, I will look forward to shooting my sons 8 3/8 model 29. The extra weight probably tames it down to a puppy lick on your hand. But the carry weight? It will probably pull your pants off after a little while..........LOL................Kingpin
There are times when a normal man must, spit in his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2007 at 14:45

King;

Ya know you can get a brass Bisley grip frame for the Blackhawks, don't ya?

900F

Kingpin View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka Old IronSides

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2007 at 14:26
I never thought of it CB, but I suppose it would be easy enough. I just may try another one......................Kingpin
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2007 at 23:42

I just traded for a Bisley Ruger in 45 LC, gun is a theft recovery, looks like someones been using it for a crack pipe. some surface rust and some light pitting, bore looks Ok not great but OK, since I consider it a Punkin Chunker it might be OK, the ejector rod tube is pretty scared up, any ideas on a reserecton?

Rick

CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2007 at 00:45

Hivoltfl;

I'd suggest going on line & ordering the Brownell's catalog.  Once you get that, you should be able to order up the parts to do anything you want to with that Blackhawk. 

I know that steel ejector shrouds are available, along with various ejectors with different head styles.  Lemme see here; Belt Mtn. base pin & shims, possible new grip frame, some exotic grips, Wolf spring tune-up kit, hot redhead, and maybe a re-blue. 

What more could you want besides cold beer?

900F

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2007 at 01:12
Hmmmmm thanks CB, maybe I can salvage it, the cold beer idea sounds the best BTW the fish are getting active on the flats here, my wife has a list of honey do's this weekend but I am gonna chase them trout next weekend for sure.. Rick
North Logan View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka The Legendary Lawman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote North Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2007 at 09:49

The first .44 Mag I ever shot, about 25 years ago, belonged to a good friend. It was a Ruger - Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk - blued with long barrel and stock factory grips. Full house loads really torqued in my hand. Wasn't quite sure at that point if I was ready to take the plunge and acquire my own .44 since my general revolver shooting at that point had been .38 Specials and the occasional stout .357 Mag handload.

But I did get my own .44 Mag a 6" blued S&W Model 29. Never really did enjoy shooting factory JSP, JHP or full-house handloads. It was a sweetheart with 240 grain lead target loads, though.

Would've kept it but discovered the .41 Magnum about 20 years ago. Sold my Model 29 when my blued Model 57 came along. Haven't looked back.

Regards, Marcus.

Edited by North Logan
"COLTS & PONY CARS"...
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2007 at 10:59

Ordered some new parts and got the old bisley looking passably fair, still needs some blue work but I think I can live with it now, named it the Crack Pipe.

Rick

The_Mountaineer View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
** West BY-GOD Virginian! **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Mountaineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 04:27

Didn't Keith invent the 44 mag?   (Inside joke there from the "It Can't Be!" thread)

Anywhoo, the 44 mag was my first handgun.  My old man bought me a S&W M29 with 6 inch barrel and I've really enjoyed it.  The thick wood factory grips still seem manly in the palm of my hands.  Killed one deer with it but just haven't shot it a whole lot.  The recoil is noticeable but not bad.  More like the thump you get from hitting a rock with a metal ball bat.

Thought about using it for turkeys, but I've never been the greatest shot with pistols.  Oh, I can hit man silhouettes just fine but a target the size of a Red Delicious apple at 30+ yards with open sights still eludes me just enough to NOT take it turkey hunting.  Would love to try it on wild hogs.

Paritur pax bello - Peace is obtained by war.
Ash:) View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash:) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2007 at 11:48
The only .44 I've ever owned is an Anaconda.
I haven't had any problems with it yet but I don't get to take it out as much as I'd like to either.
"Fresh out the can".
pricecw View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pricecw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2007 at 05:21
I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk that I really like to shoot, bought it used back in the late 80's, biggest problem with it has been the weight.

Last year I bought a Taurus 444Multi in the SS version.  I really like this one and it is light enough (28oz), it is no problem to carry around.  I was a little wary of this revolver being as light as it is, but figured I could always load it down.  Got it, and it really doesn't hit any harder than the blackhawk.

For loading, I have really liked H110 with 240gr RNFP and the Nosler 240gr jacketed HP (although I am always open to hear of other good loads ).  These do good in the pistol and feed through the lever well.

--Carl
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic