The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Metallic Cartridge Handloading and Bullet Casting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Quick Handloading Tips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quick Handloading Tips
    Posted: 15 February 2006 at 12:40
Post them here!!
TasunkaWitko - Chinook, Montana

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen
LAH45 View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAH45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2006 at 01:46
Save yer coffee cans...........Creeker
varmintcaller View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varmintcaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2006 at 11:25
De Burr the inside of primer pocket flash holes...really works
Molon Labe "Come take Them"

Goose Hunter Jr View Drop Down
.223 Remington
.223 Remington

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goose Hunter Jr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2006 at 01:28
Keep powder in a safe and dry place!
Rockydog View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2006 at 13:48
Make index cards for each can of powder in the house. Secure them around cans with rubber bands. Record date purchased, Grains used from can, pet loads, etc. After you've filled the powder measure transfer the card and rubber band to the measure. If you get interrupted or have more than one person reloading in your household you always know which powder is in the measure. RD
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2006 at 14:43

Fella's;

If you're prone to losing the little data cards between the bench & the range, write the charge weight & bullet weight on the brass with a black sharpie.  If you can't remember what powder it is then, you're beyond help.

The writing is so thin it in no way affects pressures or ballistics that I've ever found.  It will survive the firing, no problem.  And it sure can help with all sorts of questions down the road.  Wipes off with alchohol & doesn't leave marks either.

900F

Birth certificate!? He don't need no steenkink birth certificate!!
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varmintcaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2006 at 09:23
Use a Stoney Piont guage to find the bullet seating depth for your rifle, its accurate and easy to use

NH_Hunter View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka The Kid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NH_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2006 at 10:49
If you happen to have a powder thrower but no powder funnel (like me) then just crank open the powder thrower and it works as a great funnel.

I always liked finding the max bullet seating depth the old fashioned way. Make a dummy cartridge and have the bullet seated out a ways. Slowly, a little at a time, tighten your bullet seating die until the bolt closes without any pressure.

Another thing I learned...those loading blocks sure are handy. Trying to use just the space on your loading bench doesn't work too great. Pick up a couple and rotate them for each loading action. For example: Put all of your cases that need to be deprimed and sized in one loading block, and after you deprime/size the case put it in the other loading block so you don't get confused.
Leverguns make me smile
Proud Left Handed Shooter
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2006 at 11:38

keep a bound reloading journal.  With serial numbers of guns and load data.

The first entry in mine is from 1962!  75 gr bullets and 40 grains of IMR 4064.  Still works in my 243 winchester.

BEAR

Edited by BEAR
Fat Albert View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fat Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2006 at 16:43
Use wornout brass cleaning brushes on a electric drill to clean out the necks of cases (30cal in a 7mm case,  8mm in a 30cal case) before you start to reload them. Takes about 5 mins. to do 100 cases.
Money is ment to be spent, just ask my wife.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2006 at 16:57
welcome to bsb, fat albert!

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varmintcaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2006 at 17:54

Good tip fat albert....welcome to the forum 

Bad Water Bill View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad Water Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2006 at 20:56
just joined     to bad no one  has picked up on the advantage of the herter reloading blocks . they had 60 holes .you could load a round, move it down 10 spaces and always know where you stopped.
Roon dog View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roon dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2007 at 04:56
Always trim and resize your brass after you tumble and clean it.
soggyshooter View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soggyshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2007 at 08:50
Separate and lot out brass by wt. after sizing and trimming to length.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 11:48

Bad Water Bill, I make my own with 60 holes for that very reason, welcome since I have not yet said that to you.

Rick

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 11:49

I see several new members! welcome folks, Enjoy!!!

Rick

Rockydog View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 15:22
Screw an old cookie sheet (the kind with 3/4" sides) to your bench and set your vibratory case cleaner in it. Keeps it from walking off the bench and catches the media you always spill all over the top of the bench when you empty it. RD
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Donny View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2007 at 15:33

Spread cartridge cases on a rimmed cookie sheet. Spray with Pam and roll around until all are coated. After resizing, run them in the tumbler for three minutes to get rid of the lube. If using walnut media, check flash holes for the rare stuck piece of media before priming.

Buy Lee dies. They are excellent, priced below the competition, and if you stick a case, you can pull the collet-retained decapper, lock the die in a bench vise and pound out the stuck case yourself. I admit to having done this three times. Clean out the die, re-install the decapper and you are back in business.

Buy  PACT BBK electronic powder scale. Best reloading $90 I ever spent. Still have my balance beam, but doubt I will ever use it again. Plug it in, two minutes to warm up, two minutes to calibrate and start weighing. Speeds things up by a huge factor, especially when bumping up test loads .5 grains at a whack.

"Wish I had time for one more bowl of chili." Last words spoken by Kit Carson
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2007 at 03:48
welcome to the BaitShop, donny! pull up a stump and grab yourself a cup of something and stick around!

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic