The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Birds and Bird Dogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Birds and Bird Dog Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Birds and Bird Dog Tips
    Posted: 15 February 2006 at 12:33

Post them here!

TasunkaWitko - Chinook, Montana

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen
6Bits View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6Bits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2006 at 13:23

Tazz, I got a couple of real nice bred German Shorthair Pointers for sale. Now if anybody is interested, I got a male and female that are 10 months old. My stud is the sire and his Daddy is "HUD" 2005 national runner up field trial champion. He also won the national quail championship down at Ardmore Ok. this year.

The Dam of the pups is an own daughter of a 2 time national field trial champion by the name of "Heidi HO's MRT". Female has a great disposition like the stud. These pups been pointing birds since they were 10 weeks old. They have been introduced to birds and are started on their field training. Price is  $800 for male and $850 for the female.

They have had all their shots, dew claws removed and tails docked.  Interested parties send me a PM and I'll give you further information. We have pictures available for those who are serious buyers!

Edited by 6Bits
America Is Free! Thanks To It's VETERANS!!!
Rockydog View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2006 at 12:01
I always carry a Twinkie or two in my pocket during pheasant season in case my dog gets low blood sugar. Dogs that are performing at a level of activity much higher than their normal rate occassionally suffer from low blood sugar and need a boost. Symptoms include severe shakiness and unsteadiness. The concentrated sugars in the Twinkies bring them back quickly. I learned this from a friend who actually had to carry his dog from the field and rushed him to the vet thinking snake bite or some other malady. The vet simply gave him an IV of glucose and fortunately the dog was OK. Chocolate is not recommended as high levels of chocolate are actually poisonous to dogs. RD
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
6Bits View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6Bits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2007 at 15:43

Rockydog my dogs usually carry several on their backs just for me!

I have a real problem sometimes with "low bloodsugar". A great idea those Twinkies for dogs running hard and don't forget that water also.

America Is Free! Thanks To It's VETERANS!!!
Montana Maddnes View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
AKA Scooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montana Maddnes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2008 at 11:06

When you get your ducks and geese gutted cleaned and plucked. Poor rubbing alcohole in an old tuna can(cleaned) and light it with a match. You can hold the birds over the flame and sinch the gaurd hairs of the skin. I like cooking the water foul skin on to save some of the moisture, and this is a good way to get rid of those dang hairs.

MM

Montana Maddness
God Bless The U.S.A.
On the Highways for Jesus!
RobertMT View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2009 at 04:36

I think this would be the spot for this.  I know it's almost that time of year.

Skunk Off

you can mix smaller batch if you like, this one'll do one fully sprayed dog.

one 32oz bottle hydrogen peroxide(reg strength)

one box baking soda

1/4 cup shampoo (baby works best, still try to keep it out of eyes as much as possible)

mix in large bowl, it will foam up a bunch, after it foams down a little wash dog or yourself with it.  It will cut the smell of skunk better than other remedies like tomato juice ect.

I used to use this diluted by half, for scent off for bowhunting, just use an unscented shampoo and after all foaming is over put in a spray bottle.

Want to stop Drunk Drivers, from Killing Sober Drivers? Ban Sober Drivers from Driving. That's how Gun Control Works.

NRA Benefactor Life, GOA Patriot, SAF   

vapodog View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vapodog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2009 at 16:27

Edited by vapodog
Don Fischer View Drop Down
.223 Remington
.223 Remington

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Fischer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2009 at 10:21
Some dogs just naturally run big, to big. But a lot of dogs that seem to run to big are really being pushed by their handler. If your's seem's to be running to big, try shuttong up and slow down. To much yelling let's your dog keep track of you to easy and walking to fast encourages some dogs to go out more.
Never let your stupidity over shadow your ignorance!
Don Fischer View Drop Down
.223 Remington
.223 Remington

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Fischer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2009 at 10:23
If you have a pointing dog that seem's to always want to help with the flush, don't talk to it and don't try to race it to the bird. Watch the dog and any indication of a move at all; stop and back out slowly then come from a different direction.
Never let your stupidity over shadow your ignorance!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic